Mr. Big Dog

Scott Brown Awkwardly Finds Out That Obamacare Is Also Helping Republicans

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

That is just awesome! rofl.gif

Scott Brown Awkwardly Finds Out That Obamacare Is Also Helping Republicans

WASHINGTON -- As former Sen. Scott Brown barnstorms through New Hampshire in a likely prelude to another Senate run, he has dusted off a familiar playbook. Condemnation of Obamacare has been front and center of his pitch, much like it was in 2010 when he unexpectedly won a race to take over the late Ted Kennedy's Senate seat.

But times are different now. The law is no longer some theoretical set of reforms, but is being implemented with varying degrees of success and failure. And while it remains largely unpopular (virtually every Republican is making the same attacks as Brown), there are those who have already benefited, some of them Republicans.

Brown found that out on Saturday, when he stopped by the home of Herb Richardson, a Republican state representative. Sitting in Richardson's home, Brown called Obamacare a "monstrosity" that members of Congress didn't even bother to read before they passed. At that point, according to the Coos County Democrat, Richardson chimed in to explain that the law had been a "financial lifesaver" for him and his wife. From the the piece (page 14):

Richardson was injured on the job and was forced to live on his workers' comp payments for an extended period of time, which ultimately cost the couple their house on Williams Street. The couple had to pay $1,100 a month if they wanted to maintain their health insurance coverage under the federal COBRA law.

Richardson said he only received some $2,000 a month in workers' comp. payments, however, leaving little for them to live on.

"Thank God for Obamacare!" his wife exclaimed.

Now, thanks to the subsidy for which they qualify, the Richardsons only pay $136 a month for health insurance that covers them both.

r-SCOTT-BROWN-large570.jpg

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Of course it is a lifesaver for the few (even a handful on the Right) .... the question is "How much does that lifesaver cost and who is forced to buy it for them?"

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

Seems that he does thanks to the injury. wink.png

The news article says it was a work related injury so the medical care would be covered under workers comp for that injury..

But for all other medical issues, thank god for Obamacare...

Timeline

The news article says it was a work related injury so the medical care would be covered under workers comp for that injury..

But for all other medical issues, thank god for Obamacare...

Well I am all for thanking God yet in this case wouldn't it be more fitting to thank all those young folks paying way to much in insurance premiums in order to cover "all other issues" for Obamacare to work?

William Penn

Well I am all for thanking God yet in this case wouldn't it be more fitting to thank all those young folks paying way to much in insurance premiums in order to cover "all other issues" for Obamacare to work?

As opposed to the old system of everyone with insurance covering the cost for those who are uninsured?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

As opposed to the old system of everyone with insurance covering the cost for those who are uninsured?

Would you take your family to the water park more or less often if you had a free pass... or had to sneak in?

William Penn

Filed: Timeline

And here I was told just yesterday that none of those young folks are signing up? How do they pay too much in premiums if they don't even enroll? You guys got to regroup and get that story straight.

Timeline

And here I was told just yesterday that none of those young folks are signing up? How do they pay too much in premiums if they don't even enroll? You guys got to regroup and get that story straight.

Both are correct.

Folks are slow to do it.... yet they will be forced to.

Now will you thank those who will bear the weight of your scheme?

William Penn

Both are correct.

Folks are slow to do it.... yet they will be forced to.

Now will you thank those who will bear the weight of your scheme?

It's not MrBigDog's scheme, it's an American scheme voted for by duly elected officials elected by the populace. America is not a dictatorship, each law applies equally to all citizens and legal residents and each law has been duly implemented on behalf of all citizens and legal residents. It's an American scheme. It may not be perfect, it may not be the best option that could have been chosen and it may indeed have flaws but what it is not is more expensive than what was previously available and it is universally available to EVERYONE not just people who haven't been sick yet. It's better than nothing. Sorry that you think so badly of many of your fellow Americans that you would prefer they didn't have any access to health care beyond expensive emergency care.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Debatable, at best. dry.png

It's certainly a monumental missed opportunity to do the right thing. sad.png

No, it's not debatable. Many millions of people have access to preventative health care who previously were denied any opportunity to purchase health insurance. That's a net positive whatever way you slice it. Massive missed opportunity? Sure, but at least 70% of that burden can be squarely placed on the shoulders of those politicians who simply refused to participate in the debate. They should be shunned by the electorate but of course they are celebrated in this stupid American political system.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Massive missed opportunity? Sure, but at least 70% of that burden can be squarely placed on the shoulders of those politicians who simply refused to participate in the debate. They should be shunned by the electorate but of course they are celebrated in this stupid American political system.

Not even close. This embarrassing lash-up is purely a result of Democrats' infighting, grabbing as much as they could get for their votes, toeing the insurance and pharmaceutical company line and passing the least they could, rather than a real healthcare bill that would have made a difference. :angry:

And yes, the American electorate should shun the idiots who caused this mess. Perhaps, come November, they will. We shall see.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Not even close. This embarrassing lash-up is purely a result of Democrats' infighting, grabbing as much as they could get for their votes, toeing the insurance and pharmaceutical company line and passing the least they could, rather than a real healthcare bill that would have made a difference. mad.gif

And yes, the American electorate should shun the idiots who caused this mess. Perhaps, come November, they will. We shall see.

The health care bill is making a difference. There are millions of Americans who can now afford a health care plan and their are millions of Americans who can access preventative health care despite having preexisting conditions. What's not to like? Oh, that's right, the extremists would rather about increasing health insurance costs that have been increasing pre Obamacare as if somehow affordable health care contributed significantly to that. That's laughable so thanks for that.