petergold

Specific information/confirmation on CRBA documents needed

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I'm 16, born to an Austrian mother and an USC father and currently living in Austria with my Austrian mother. They were married at the time of my birth but are divorced now. My father currently resides in China. We are now in the process of gathering information for filing a CRBA. He will be filing all the documents needed from his part in China (CRBA) and be interviewed there (without my mother), the embassy in China will then send the documents they received to the embassy in Vienna where I will do my part of the (interview) process for getting my passport. I'm helping out on finding the necessary documents but we're both having problems specifying exactly all the documents we need. I've been in contact with the consular section of the Vienna embassy, however they keep telling me that my father has to contact the embassy in China to find out the specifics of what they need. This is posing a problem though, as the embassy in China is flooded with thousands of queries every day and they haven't been responding to his e-mails. Some questions:

1. Clarification about the difference between the DS2029 and the N600K

We do know that we need to file the DS2029, however I have not really grasped yet what the n600k is? Could anyone point out exactly what the n600k is for and whether it is anyhow relevant to our process of reporting my birth abroad?

2. Clarification about the DS5057

In the DS2029 form there is mention of the DS5057:

"if the U.S. citizen parent transmitting citizenship to the child is not present, he or she may complete State Department Form DS 5507 Affidavit of Parentage Physical Presence and Support and submit separately. The parent completing this application should provide as much information on the parent completing the Form DS 5507 as he or she has."

I have read on some sites that this is only needed if I had been born out of wedlock (which I was not). Basically it means that if my father weren't present at the interview in China he would have fill this out? Since he will be there (the only parent there) and he is the USC, do we then not need this? Or am I not understanding the purpose of the DS5057?

3. Documents of the non-USC parent (my mother)

My mother will not be really involved in the whole process and will be present neither at my nor my father's interview (as it is not required, right?). I have read on some embassy sites that the passports of both parents must be taken to the interview, or (notarised?) copies of them. Does this apply here too, or is it enough if my father brings his passport the interview?

4. Affidavit of paternity

It states here that an affidavit of paternity is needed. His name is on my birth certificate, is that enough of an affidavit?

Thanks to anyone for answering any of the questions above.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
We do know that we need to file the DS2029, however I have not really grasped yet what the n600k is? Could anyone point out exactly what the n600k is for and whether it is anyhow relevant to our process of reporting my birth abroad?

You only need N600K if claiming citizenship through the CCA. Yo do NOT need this form if going through a CRBA.

I have read on some sites that this is only needed if I had been born out of wedlock (which I was not). Basically it means that if my father weren't present at the interview in China he would have fill this out? Since he will be there (the only parent there) and he is the USC, do we then not need this? Or am I not understanding the purpose of the DS5057?

I don't think your father is going for an interview at the embassy for a CRBA. More likely he has an appointment for notary service and they will forward this notarized document to the Vienna embassy. That's why you will need this form, to provide proof of the physical presence of your father.

My mother will not be really involved in the whole process and will be present neither at my nor my father's interview (as it is not required, right?)

The CRBA instructions say, that both parents have to be present at the interview. You already cleared this with your father, that he won't be attending. But to my understanding your mother will have to be present at the interview since you are still a minor.

I have read on some embassy sites that the passports of both parents must be taken to the interview, or (notarised?) copies of them. Does this apply here too, or is it enough if my father brings his passport the interview?

Like I mentioned above, I don't think your father will have an interview. Otherwise you would have the CRBA in China. However it looks like DOS is working together here, and you at least won't have to provide any notarized copy of your fathers passport. I still think your mom (with her passport), has to attend the interview.

It states here that an affidavit of paternity is needed. His name is on my birth certificate, is that enough of an affidavit?

Only if you weren't registered in the Geburtsurkunde will you need a seperate Vaterschaftsanerkennung.

Don't forget to bring proof of your fathers physical presence in the US (employment records, school transcripts, tax returns, etc.) to the interview (unless they already clear this in China).

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.