jordanianprincess

Honor Killings

Honor Killings  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have pre-marital relations with your Husband/Are you having pre-marital relations with your fiance?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Does your husband/fiance feel that honor killings are justified by the acts or suspected actions of the victim?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  3. 3. What would he do if he found out his daughter/sister was having relations with a man? (without you interviening)

• Kill her
    • Disown her
    • Put her on a plane and send her to his home country
    • Forgive her after some time
    • Nothing - Please explain
    • N/A

442 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
*waves at Dawn* they said couscous :blush:

J (F)

waves back...and tries not to giggle

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You find me a woman who had an abortion and had zero feelings about it, no matter her philosophical stance on the topic, and I'll give you a million bucks.

I don't mean to argue here, but I have a feeling that what your saying actually shows more of why the subjects DO compare well... I think its possible its the same kind of (perceived) desperation that keep both practices going. Its easy to say both practices are disgusting but you can't so easily stop some things. I don't know anything tho...so don't let what I post bother any of you too much.

I disagree with you.

I think a woman has the right to choose whether or not she wants to have an abortion. She has to sign paperwork and pay to have it done. She has the choice. I don't think abortion is disgusting for the most part.

In honor killings a woman is murdered by her own family just like that. She has no say, the family decides to take her life.

What do you mean they involve the same kind of desperation?

You find me a woman who had an abortion and had zero feelings about it, no matter her philosophical stance on the topic, and I'll give you a million bucks.

I don't mean to argue here, but I have a feeling that what your saying actually shows more of why the subjects DO compare well... I think its possible its the same kind of (perceived) desperation that keep both practices going. Its easy to say both practices are disgusting but you can't so easily stop some things. I don't know anything tho...so don't let what I post bother any of you too much.

I disagree with you.

I think a woman has the right to choose whether or not she wants to have an abortion. She has to sign paperwork and pay to have it done. She has the choice. I don't think abortion is disgusting for the most part.

In honor killings a woman is murdered by her own family just like that. She has no say, the family decides to take her life.

I agree with you Sarah but then again I am staunchly pro-choice. Comparing the two is a way of avoiding the issue, I think - a way of diverting attention to the most well-worn and devisive of topics. Nothing changes. No amount of hiding behind cultural relativism takes away the black-and-white wrongness of so-called 'honor killings.'

That some women out there are marrying into this attitude breaks my heart.

Timeline

I disagree with you.

I agree with you Sarah but then again I am staunchly pro-choice. Comparing the two is a way of avoiding the issue, I think - a way of diverting attention to the most well-worn and devisive of topics. Nothing changes. No amount of hiding behind cultural relativism takes away the black-and-white wrongness of so-called 'honor killings.'

That some women out there are marrying into this attitude breaks my heart.

:thumbs:

I wonder if for some people they are already married or engaged to a man and just recently found out his views on this subject so they just say oh well, it's not that big of a deal since they have been through a lot of effort to be together.

I personally would be heartbroken and very dissapointed if my husband were to even just tell me that he condones honor killings. I would never be able to have children with someone like that. Even just disowning his own daughter or son because of their sexual acts or preferences is not acceptable to me.

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline
Honor killing is cultural and has been very much part of Arab culture for thousands of years. There is no way to dismiss it, debunk it or mitigate it because it's disliked. Every culture has aspects that are particular to it, but are only whispered about. Honor killing in one of them in the MENA world.

Sex out of wedlock has been very much part of the culture of world, ever since people started walking upright. There is no way to dismiss it, debunk it or mitigate because it's disliked (by some).

US Citizen since August 09.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Really? 18% would kill their family for doing something with their own body? CRAZY! I guess not is some cultures....

When I was in Morocco, we watched House of Wax and my husband took out the picture and sound on the kissing scene. I thought he did that for my 12 year old daughter, but he whispered in my ear that it was for his little sister, too. 22 yrz old. She even covered her face like it was not to be seen by her at all. I can respect that.

We danced on my camcorder and when she found out that we taped her dancing too, begged me to erase it and "never let Abdel see that!" I, of course, erased it. But I was is shock about that.

He let her dance on the wedding video, tho..... :thumbs:

I dont think he would have killed her over it tho..... nah...... Im pretty sure he wouldnt have!

Limah (L)(F)

Edited by limah

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

Filed: Timeline

:whistle: Sincerely wishing some people's moms would have exercised their rights in the past :innocent::lol:

Timeline

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nunya B @ Jan 6 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:whistle: Sincerely wishing some people's moms would have exercised their rights in the past :innocent::lol:

And who might you be?

And why would you even say something like that to me? What did I do to you?

Edited by sarah and hicham

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Nunya B @ Jan 6 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not funny at all.

Wow, that's really fukced up to tell someone that you wish they had never been born.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

And who might you be?

And why would you even say something like that to me? What did I do to you?

Just what we needed, a pro-life troll...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Nunya B @ Jan 7 2007, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They did excercise that right. They chose to have a child.

To the extent that the pro-life and honor killing arguments can be compared I would say they both aim to control women.

Timeline
B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nunya B @ Jan 7 2007, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

They did excercise that right. They chose to have a child.

To the extent that the pro-life and honor killing arguments can be compared I would say they both aim to control women.

How is abortion controlling women when it's her choice whether or not to have the abortion?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
How is abortion controlling women when it's her choice whether or not to have the abortion?

She said the pro-life argument is controlling women by trying to take away their choice.

Timeline

She said the pro-life argument is controlling women by trying to take away their choice.

ooh my bad. SOrry about that! Thanks Jenn.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I disagree with you.

um....this is exactly the nonchalant attitude i'm talking about that is shocking to some cultures and quite frankly to me. You are comparing the woman who is killing her baby to the woman about to be murdered in an honor kililng? No wonder you didn't get the analogy. The analogy was the BABY about to be murdered. Exactly what right does this baby have? What paperwork did the baby have the ability to sign? You don't think the muder of an innocent baby is disgusting? :blink:

whatever. i thought i was a wee bit hazy this morning but that statement just threw me for a loop.

Edited by doodlebug

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.