ady

Credit card debt advice

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hoping I can get some advice from you guys. I've recently arrived in the US and I still have some Canadian credit card debt I'm trying to pay off. I've run out of funds from my Canadian chequing account...does anyone know of a way for me to still make payments? I've tried googling but to avail...I'm sure there are people out there in the same position as me? I don't think I can deposit money into my account from a US atm/bank...and I've tried using my American debit card to make payments but that's not working...

If you can get the credit card bill(s), you should be able to just write a check from a US bank and mail it to them along with the payment stub. I did this way back when when I was gett meds for my mom and dad from a canadian pharmacy because the meds were cheaper there than here in the US - that is, I wrote a check for the meds and mailed it to the canadian pharmacy, they cashed the check and mailed the meds to my mom and dad. No big deal.

What bank are the cards on? TD, and RBC at least have equivalent banks in the US where you can open a US dollar account (even online if it's in a different area). You can transfer money from us to canadian accounts through those banks without additional fees. I don't know how easy it would be to set up from the US end, but then you could continue to feed money into a canadian account, then pay your credit card bill from that account.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Country: Moldova
Timeline

If the credit card company will not accept payment in USD from a US bank (as suggested by carton025) then you can always make a wire transfer to your Canadian account. You'll probably need to visit your US bank and provide the information from your Canadian check (routing and account number) -- they will probably charge you $30-40 for the wire. An ACH transfer would be cheaper, you can typically link to US bank accounts fairly easily, I'm not sure about linking a Canadian bank account....

Timeline

My chequing account is with PC financial and the two credit cards is PC Mastercard and a CIBC visa.

I completely forgot that we can mail payments...got so caught up/used to doing online banking! After even more extensive research I found out I could use PayPal as well to transfer money from my two different accounts...mind you it's a tedious process that takes about a week to complete with 2 separate accounts... Going to try that out to see how it works.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have PC Financial...don't tell them you no longer live in the USA...as they will want you to close your chequing account!! When i first moved down in 2004 I told them that and they wanted to close it! Then a few yrs back, I was in Saskatoon and talking to a rep at their branch and slipped that I lived in the USA and he was ready to close it again!! I just changed thew addy to my parents

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Paypal is another option. You will need to setup 2 accounts though since they will not let you have a Canadian bank account hooked to a US paypal account.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

I'm a banker with one of the big 3 in Canada - best options are to wire transfer money to your CAD chequing account (fast and secure) or mail a CAD dollar money order to VISA. If you have friends or family back in Canada, you could send them a cheque and ask them to deposit into your CAD bank account, but USD cheques generally have a hold of about 2-3 weeks to allow for clearing.

Paypal works, but it's fiddly and takes a few days.

I worked in Foreign Exchange for over 10 years, so know that wire transfers, while a bit costly, are the most efficient, quick and secure.

Best of luck - I'll be glad when I have your problem, it will mean I'm finally living with my husband!!! LOL

rolleyes.gif

Timeline

Customhouse....now Actually Western Union has a Pay a bill feature. Never used it, nor know the cost.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally sent my Dad $$$ and he made the deposit for me and then I could continue to pay online.

To the person who mentioned doing a ' CAD dollar money order' that may not be available - when I have done money orders at the USPS....they always refer to it a 'International money order' but its still in US funds. I don't think they do in CAD funds. It seems to all workout whenever I've sent them to CRA or anyone else to repay something.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I changed to TD, you can keep your canadian accounts, open an american account in the USA already in advance where you're going to live without setting foot in the branch, and see both of the accounts on the same screen. It's a bit of modest work to set up, but oh so simple when you do. You can transfer money at will over the phone up to $100k a day for free, pay your bills online, etc..

Edited by floridaboundcanuk

I changed to TD, you can keep your canadian accounts, open an american account in the USA already in advance where you're going to live without setting foot in the branch, and see both of the accounts on the same screen. It's a bit of modest work to set up, but oh so simple when you do. You can transfer money at will over the phone up to $100k a day for free, pay your bills online, etc..

Just don't let your account go below $100 or they charge you $14. We found that out after several months of not using it and the balance was negative.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Just don't let your account go below $100 or they charge you $14. We found that out after several months of not using it and the balance was negative.

Yeah, that's on the basic checking. I think it's $2500 on the advanced checking. My friend is a banker at TD and set everything up for me ;-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.