RaspberrySwirl

Tips for digital cam buying

44 posts in this topic

Anyone? This is kind of a big purchase for me, I guess. Looking for some opinions. Anyone bought a camera recently?

Our price range is around $300. I'd like something that also records video but that's optional.

Want good quality on regular sized pictures, decent quality on larger sized. It doesn't have to be point and shoot, can be a bit more complicated.

I'm looking at some Canon ones now and the one I really like is more towards the $400-$500 range.

What should I be looking for in a camera other than the regular specs? Battery life, memory card specs?

I don't know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Get something with digital image stabilisation - it really makes a difference.

My father in law just bought one of these and is really happy with it. Relatively inexpensive and takes great pictures.

Fujifilm Finepix F20 6.3MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom with Picture Stabilization (Silver)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine was one of the spiffier ones 4 years ago when I bought it. I'm afraid I haven't paid much attention to newer stuff.

Now if I could only figure out what 'safe' place I put it when I moved here...

:lol:

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Mine was one of the spiffier ones 4 years ago when I bought it. I'm afraid I haven't paid much attention to newer stuff.

Now if I could only figure out what 'safe' place I put it when I moved here...

:lol:

So was mine - a 3 megapixel olympus from 2003. Doesn't cut the mustard these days...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Anyone? This is kind of a big purchase for me, I guess. Looking for some opinions. Anyone bought a camera recently?

Our price range is around $300. I'd like something that also records video but that's optional.

Want good quality on regular sized pictures, decent quality on larger sized. It doesn't have to be point and shoot, can be a bit more complicated.

I'm looking at some Canon ones now and the one I really like is more towards the $400-$500 range.

What should I be looking for in a camera other than the regular specs? Battery life, memory card specs?

I don't know.

I bought mine Canon IXUS55 last year and I can say that it is ok.

I researched this a bit for Christmas and decided on Canon Powershots (I bought two). The model I chose was $200 (each). They are lovely cameras. Most people that "know" cameras encouraged me to go with Canon Powershot and this bran received great buyer reviews.

I like the Sony CyberShot the best. I have a 7.2 i think i brought for around almost $300.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

I did some research into digital cameras a few years back and found the canons to be the best overall. They are easy to use, have excellent image quality, a great feature set, and offer some of the fastest shooting times available. Did I mention they are easy to use? I have owned 4 different models and been very happy with all of them. I currently own a Canon Powershot SD550 and it does everything I could need, and I tend to need a lot.

Canon PowerShot SD550 Digital Elph Camera

The link is for Circuit City, where the price is currently about $250. They also have the SD630 model, which has a very large lcd display, but I still prefer the 550.

View pictures of my April/May trip to the Philippines

View pictures of my Sept trip to the Philippines

Gary (California, USA) filamflag.gif Fely (Zambales, Philippines)

09-11-06 Married

10-12-06 I-130 Mailed Priority

10-14-06 Delivered to CSC

10-16-06 CSC receipt date

10-18-06 NOA1 date

10-19,20,21-06 Touched

12-28,29-06 Touched and very happy about it

12-28-06 NOA2 date

01-15-07 Received at NVC & DS3032 & AOS bill sent

01-20-07 AOS fee bill received

01-30-07 eMailed DS3032 choice of agent

02-05-07 Received email approval for DS3032

02-20-07 Received I-864 package

02-23-07 Received IV fee bill

02-27-07 Paid IV fee

03-12-07 Info packet generated

03-20-07 Mailed I-864 package

03-31-07 Received info packet

04-04-07 RFE mailed by NVC

04-26-07 Mailed RFE response & DS-230 packet to NVC

04-30-07 NVC receives papers

05-10-07 Case complete

05-22-07 Case left NVC

05-24-07 Received pkt 4 in California

06-07-07 Medical Exam

06-28-07 Interview (approved)

06-24-07 - 07-16-07 Gary's trip to Philippines, and I brought Fely home

07-27-07 SSN card received

08-13-08 Green card received

07-10-09 I-751 mailed

08-15-09 Lifting of conditions approved

Filed: Timeline

Just wanted to give a heads up that Office Depot is running a sale today only for a Kodak Easyshare 5.0 with a printer dock for $99.

I've had a Kodak easyshare 5.0 since like early 2003 and it still works fine. I'm not a techno-geek tho, so it might be unacceptable to some, lol.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Love my Sony Cyber Shot too! :thumbs:

Oh man, I had one of those. It was fabulous. Unfortunately the Rio de Janeiro police stole it from me when I wasn't looking. Now I have a Fujifilm Finepix which is a lot cheaper but works just fine, IMO. The advantage is that it runs on batteries. I know in the long run it costs you more, but the advantage is that you're never stranded with a dead camera.

Cool. Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna have to look into it some more this week.

Can you tell I have some extra money to burn? :P

Nah, we could really use a camera since we have none whatsoever.

Thanks again, everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We have a Fugi-Film, Fine Pix A350, 5.2 mega-pixels... it takes video with sound too....

It is a pretty good camera... takes good pics...

i can't quite remember how much we paid for it... I know we bought a 100 dollar 1 GB memory card to go with it..... I think the total was around $250 or something like that....

mvSuprise-hug.gif