Maribel&Kyle

How to change my SSN Card with my married name ??

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,,,

Just got my SSC today but it has my birth name and last name. I need to change it with my husband last name in order to get health insurance from his work

Have any of you gone through something similar.. What did you do ?

Thanks a lot !!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

then the work health insurance human is a retardo.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Process to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN, not K-1~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You do NOT need to get it changed for health insurance. There is NO requirement that a wife change her name after marriage. Your husband should not accept that.

You can change your SSN once you get your EAD or GC in your married name.

But the one you have now in maiden name is perfectly good for everything.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hmmm..that seems strange considering many people now are keeping their name. I would think the marriage certificate should be enough to get the health insurance. I will not be changing my name when my husband gets here.

K1 - Filed March 2011

- Denied March 13, 2012

- Placed in AP March 14,2012

- Sent back to USCIS November 2012

- Expired March 2013

WASTED A YEAR FIGHTING THE DENIEL

MARRIED MARCH 15, 2013

1-130 Approved 3/3/2014 :-)

Finally made it home 3/18/2014

Timeline

i agree.

then the work health insurance human is a retardo.

yes i know it is not a requirement for a wife to change her name but i do . It is my choice. What is a EAD

You do NOT need to get it changed for health insurance. There is NO requirement that a wife change her name after marriage. Your husband should not accept that.

You can change your SSN once you get your EAD or GC in your married name.

But the one you have now in maiden name is perfectly good for everything.

i agree.

yes i know it is not a requirement for a wife to change her name but i do . It is my choice. What is a EAD

Maribel,

It is your choice to change your name. You can do what you want. I never suggested what you should or should not do.

What I said was, that your insurance company cannot make you change your name to get health insurance. That is illegal.

So you do NOT need to change your name to get health insurance. So that is not your problem.

If they cannot insure you under your married name yet, because of your SSN, then there isn't a lot you can do. You can try to take your marriage license and get your name changed on it, but the SSA might not do it for you until you get your Employment authorization in your new married name. EAD means Employment Authorization Document. You apply for that with your big Adjustment of Status packet. You need to apply for Adjustment of status to remain legal in the US.

If this is confusing to you, maybe your husband should come here and read this.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hey thanks for your reply ! ,, It isnt confusing , I know what you mean , I am working on my AOS package now and just called the SS office. They will change my name with my husbands' , just need to bring my marriage licence again :-P ... thanks anyways !

Maribel,

It is your choice to change your name. You can do what you want. I never suggested what you should or should not do.

What I said was, that your insurance company cannot make you change your name to get health insurance. That is illegal.

So you do NOT need to change your name to get health insurance. So that is not your problem.

If they cannot insure you under your married name yet, because of your SSN, then there isn't a lot you can do. You can try to take your marriage license and get your name changed on it, but the SSA might not do it for you until you get your Employment authorization in your new married name. EAD means Employment Authorization Document. You apply for that with your big Adjustment of Status packet. You need to apply for Adjustment of status to remain legal in the US.

If this is confusing to you, maybe your husband should come here and read this.

And once again agree with Darnell they are retards :-P .. At least the weather isnt too bad ..so i can get out there once again

Hey thanks for your reply ! ,, It isnt confusing , I know what you mean , I am working on my AOS package now and just called the SS office. They will change my name with my husbands' , just need to bring my marriage licence again :-P ... thanks anyways !

You can change your SSC at the local office as long as you bring your marriage license and passport. They may want other documents so call ahead and ask. I would wait personally and change everything after you receive your EAD or GC. It will be easier to change all documentation at one time. But like others said above your name does not have to be your married name for you to be on your husband health insurance.

Timeline

Thanks ! I just did that... So no problem now !

You can change your SSC at the local office as long as you bring your marriage license and passport. They may want other documents so call ahead and ask. I would wait personally and change everything after you receive your EAD or GC. It will be easier to change all documentation at one time. But like others said above your name does not have to be your married name for you to be on your husband health insurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.