IlonaLannon85

Spronsor or not sponsor for the AOS?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Does anybody know what is the "rules" when having a joint sponsor for AOS?

So my husband have to show his last 3 years of tax returns and the problem is that 2 years ago he was injured at his job and was not able to work for 1 year so he was on workmans comp. for 6months then after he had to be on unemployment for another 6 months.

So most likely we need to have a joint sponsor.

Then we need to know for how long is the sponsor responsible to be a sponsor for us?

Is it until I would have a perminent residency or until I would become a citizen?

If the sponsor would have a spouse and a child, then what income should the sponsor have?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Read instructions for I-864 and I-864P documents - everything's in there, including what's the minimum amount of income sponsor needs to have. Sponsor is responsible for 10 years, 40 work quarters or until you become a US citizen.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Read instructions for I-864 and I-864P documents - everything's in there, including what's the minimum amount of income sponsor needs to have. Sponsor is responsible for 10 years, 40 work quarters or until you become a US citizen.

LOL.

Read the instructions.

Where in the instructions does it say 10 years? No where.

Does anybody know what is the "rules" when having a joint sponsor for AOS?

So my husband have to show his last 3 years of tax returns and the problem is that 2 years ago he was injured at his job and was not able to work for 1 year so he was on workmans comp. for 6months then after he had to be on unemployment for another 6 months.

So most likely we need to have a joint sponsor.

Then we need to know for how long is the sponsor responsible to be a sponsor for us?

Is it until I would have a perminent residency or until I would become a citizen?

If the sponsor would have a spouse and a child, then what income should the sponsor have?

Thanks!

The I-864 spells out how long the joint sponsor's legal obligation is. However, if your husband is CURRENTLY making over the I-864P guidelines you will not need a joint sponsor. Some embassies look at the year before and current, especially for high fraud visa places, but for Sweden, unless you are from a high fraud country originally, they will most likely only look at what he is currently making. He only has to submit the latest year's tax transcripts.

For instance my husband, when we sent the I-864, had been employed at his current job for only 6 months but his yearly salary put him over the poverty guidelines for 2012, even though he hadn't made that much that year. For 2011, he made over the guidelines but for 2010 he was deployed so was taxed on less than half of his income so made under the guideline. in 2009 he made over. The consulate didn't care about that one year because a) he currently made well over the poverty guidelines and b) he shows gainful employment for often than not.

No it's until the person has worked 40 quarters (approx 10 years), dies, abandon's or gives up their green card, or becomes a USC.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.