13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My friend was married and want to have marriage anulled in Philppnes.Her wife left him because she think she does not have a good life living with him.She said that she is going to find a job.Lately my friend found her on Facebook with a pictures of man and there is also a conversation on facebook that the man of her facebook page was her new man and that she is pregnant for 4months.My friend doesn't like to be with her anymore.If he is going to file for marriage anullment,is that going to be easy?They got married thru the municpal mayor.I hope somebody can help with this situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits from Off Topic - as a more appropriate forum~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

My friend was married and want to have marriage anulled in Philppnes.Her wife left him because she think she does not have a good life living with him.She said that she is going to find a job.Lately my friend found her on Facebook with a pictures of man and there is also a conversation on facebook that the man of her facebook page was her new man and that she is pregnant for 4months.My friend doesn't like to be with her anymore.If he is going to file for marriage anullment,is that going to be easy?They got married thru the municpal mayor.I hope somebody can help with this situation.

No its not easy and it's expensive there. Doesn't matter if they got married by a judge or a church, the legal process is the same in the Philippines. Are one of these Americans? Why are you posting a Philippine legal issue in an immigration forum?

Here's a little information on annulment in the Philippines. Not wanting to be married to them any more, is not grounds to get a marriage annulled there.

http://www.gtalawphil.com/Philippine%20Annulment%20101_1.htm

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Depending on the authority, for an annulment, a big deal is made as to whether the marriage was consummated or not.

Ha, in the state of Wisconsin, states right on our marriage certification, this contract is not valid until it is consummated. Ironically, we were never requested to perform this act in front of a judge nor was even questioned by the USCIS on this issue. I suppose if we did apply for an annulment, would have to testify in a court of law, this marriage was never consummated.

Outside of this, a divorce is required in most areas. This is a lot more expensive and time consuming then the marriage act itself. Easy contract to enter, miserable to get out of it.

Depending on the authority, for an annulment, a big deal is made as to whether the marriage was consummated or not.

Ha, in the state of Wisconsin, states right on our marriage certification, this contract is not valid until it is consummated. Ironically, we were never requested to perform this act in front of a judge nor was even questioned by the USCIS on this issue. I suppose if we did apply for an annulment, would have to testify in a court of law, this marriage was never consummated.

Outside of this, a divorce is required in most areas. This is a lot more expensive and time consuming then the marriage act itself. Easy contract to enter, miserable to get out of it.

Part of what is confusing me, is the OP asks for an annulment in the Philippines. If he's not a Philippine citizen, and not living in the Philippines, there's no need for going through an expensive process there. A quicky divorce in the USA would suffice, as it sounds his wife has moved on. If he is living in the Philippines, its an imprisonable offense to commit adultery. He could have his wife imprisoned for being with another man, the evidence being the pregnancy. The OP is obviously Filipino per the writing style, the requested annulment location is in the Philippines, so what does it have to do with immigration since an American in the USA would never need a Philippines annulment?

And the odds are the marriage would not meet the standard of annulment in the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I know, right? Nick has super-great anecdotal responses that mostly don't answer a topic poster's concerns. It's endemic, and I wish he'd stop, and get busy finishing his book (which I'm certain would be GREAT reading material) - heck, even I would buy it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Much depends on location, where your friend is, if he's a USCitizen or no, and what his intent is for that wife.

If he is USCitizen and lives in the USA, a divorce in USA is the place to start. Ultimately, SHE can take the divorce document to the Phils and chase after the annulment. This is the route I'd suggest.

If she is still in USA with no intention to do anything in the Phils again, I don't see the need to chase after an annulment in the Phils.

Is it possible that he wants to marry another lass from the Phils? Or at least have that option,later? Unsure what HE has to do, as a USCitizen, in the Phils, about this.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Much depends on location, where your friend is, if he's a USCitizen or no, and what his intent is for that wife.

If he is USCitizen and lives in the USA, a divorce in USA is the place to start. Ultimately, SHE can take the divorce document to the Phils and chase after the annulment. This is the route I'd suggest.

If she is still in USA with no intention to do anything in the Phils again, I don't see the need to chase after an annulment in the Phils.

Is it possible that he wants to marry another lass from the Phils? Or at least have that option,later? Unsure what HE has to do, as a USCitizen, in the Phils, about this.

He has absolutely nothing to do in the Philippines if he's a USC. A USC can marry in the Philippines, get divorced in the USA and go back and marry in the Philippines again. Its only tricky for Filipino citizens. Two Philippines citizens cannot get a divorce recognized in the Philippines. They would need to go through the annulment process in the Philippines to be considered single in their country again. A Phil citizen married to a non Phil Citizen can get their divorced recognized in the Philippines (which is a legal process brought to the courts there) only if the non Phil Citizen filed for the divorce.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Thanks Cary ! I hope the OP has enough fodder to help his/her friend now..

Timeline

I know, right? Nick has super-great anecdotal responses that mostly don't answer a topic poster's concerns. It's endemic, and I wish he'd stop, and get busy finishing his book (which I'm certain would be GREAT reading material) - heck, even I would buy it.

Certainly an emotional subject when involved with it.

"The only countries that do not allow divorce are the Philippines and the Vatican City, an ecclesiastical state, which has no procedure for divorce."

And until recently, Colombia was the same way. And to make this even more emotional, will not recognize any civil divorce unless its done in this country. But will review and recognize a divorce performed in another country for the mere price of $5,000.00. Annulment of a church marriage is a different issue, will do this over a long period of years for an approximate cost of $12,000.00, can only detect a bit of corruption here.

Ironically, can get legally married in the US in a church and even get that marriage annulled by that church, but depending on which state you live in, will also have to get a civil divorce as well. A complex issue. In Wisconsin, a long drawn out issue that can take three years, in Las Vegas, can do the same thing in five minutes.

Yes, lots of variables and a very emotional experience. Excuse me for getting emotional on this subject. Brother married a woman from the Philippines, all I know about her, she was married with children, and since family, better off not even bringing up this subject to keep peace. Seems like I should do the same thing on this board.

Timeline

but is it YOUR emotional experience, and why would you dump this sort of inane anecdotal stuff into this post ? I swear, there's a book inside you,

waiting to come out,

which I would pay to read.

Timeline

Always meant to comment, that is a cute video you have in your post, but need an interpreter to know what you are saying.

Friend of the OP if living in the US can always apply for a divorce even without his spouse present and be free and will be recognized here. Woman going back to the Philippines, that is her problem.

Always meant to comment, that is a cute video you have in your post, but need an interpreter to know what you are saying.

Friend of the OP if living in the US can always apply for a divorce even without his spouse present and be free and will be recognized here. Woman going back to the Philippines, that is her problem.

Personally I find Darnel pretty clear to understand. He doesn't embellish his comments and goes straight to his point. Which can come across a touch harsh at times, but his points are very clear.

It is a common misconception amongst some Filipinos, that an American who marries in their country must get an annulment in their country. The incorrect assumption being the place of marriage controls the laws under which a marriage may be terminated, even if one is not a citizen or living in their country.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.