SaharaSunset

Drivers license expires on same day as GC expires?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So my husband has a conditional green card, and finally got his drivers license this week. But much to my surprise it expires in September - in 9 months! His drivers license expires the same day that his conditional green card expires. Is that right and normal? I mean I kind of get it...but then again I don't because its not like when your Conditional Card expires you are then illegally in the country. So what do they expect us to do? What if his 10 year card takes a year to get? Do they expect him to be in resident status limbo for all that time - and have an expired drivers license? It seems really dumb to me.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is a standard thing - or if we need to go chat with the Driver's license people? And if it is normal, then what, if anything, can we do about it?

Thanks!

Edited by SaharaSunset

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Driver's licenses are administered at the State level. I was actually surprised to see that California is listed as your state. I might have expected this from Alabama or Texas - states that are making it VERY hard for non-US citizens.

Someone familiar with California State Law should be able to help you with your question. I agree, it sure doesn't seem fair - he'll have to pay more money in September to renew his license!

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

its not like when your Conditional Card expires you are then illegally in the country.

That's exactly how it is. Once someone's conditional green card expires then they are illegally present in the US, unless they filed a timely I-751 before that happens.

Some states may accept an I-751 receipt and extend his driver's licence using that.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

That's exactly how it is. Once someone's conditional green card expires then they are illegally present in the US, unless they filed a timely I-751 before that happens.

Some states may accept an I-751 receipt and extend his driver's licence using that.

Its not MAY. All states HAVE to accept the I-751 receipt and extent your license by a year, as that letter basically means your Residency has been extended by a year. Just take that letter to your DMV and they should help you out.

Driver's licenses are administered at the State level. I was actually surprised to see that California is listed as your state. I might have expected this from Alabama or Texas - states that are making it VERY hard for non-US citizens.

Sukie

Not sure what your Texas experience was but it was very easy for my wife. Walked in with her Canadian licence and walked out with her Texas licence. Name change on licence was also easy. Just needed marriage certificate and green card. Took less than an hour for licence (mostly waiting) and less than 30 for name change.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Its not MAY. All states HAVE to accept the I-751 receipt and extent your license by a year, as that letter basically means your Residency has been extended by a year. Just take that letter to your DMV and they should help you out.

Okay thank you. That makes sense. Regardless of the state, it seems weird that any state would leave people in limbo without another option. But I wish my state would have given my husband more than just 9 months blink.png

Thanks all for the replies!

I don't because its not like when your Conditional Card expires you are then illegally in the country. So what do they expect us to do? What if his 10 year card takes a year to get? Do they expect him to be in resident status limbo for all that time - and have an expired drivers license? It seems really dumb to me.

Actually when your conditional GC expires so does your LPR status unless you have filed the removal of conditions (ROC) and then you receive a letter stating that your LPR status has been extended for 1 year. I would think you could go to the DMV with that letter and get his license extended for another year until the GC arrives. Might cost a new license fee. More and more states are tying the DLs to immigration status. When your documentation showing legal status expires so does the DL. This is to keep illegal immigrants from obtaining a regular DL right before their legal status expires and then use the DL as a valid form of ID. Someone here on VJ noticed that his NJ DL says he is a "temporary immigrant" because he also has a 2 year GC. The big difference between the 2 year GC and the 10 year GC is that your status as a LPR does expire when the 2 year GC expires, but it does not expire when the 10 year GC expires. So if you fail to file for ROC, you are indeed illegally In this country.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Not sure what your Texas experience was but it was very easy for my wife. Walked in with her Canadian licence and walked out with her Texas licence. Name change on licence was also easy. Just needed marriage certificate and green card. Took less than an hour for licence (mostly waiting) and less than 30 for name change.

Actually the Texas issue is more specifically for women. Texas is now requiring that women's driver's licenses match voter registration records. And that their passports and their driver's licenses say exactly the same thing. While this was done to disadvantage immigrants, it has also disadvantaged women who have married, changed their last name, but not had the first, maiden, married names on the license. When they go to vote, their voter registration doesn't match and they are denied the chance to vote.

My point was that drivers' licenses are administered by each state, and that the OP should be sure to get California-specific info.

Sukie

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Actually the Texas issue is more specifically for women. Texas is now requiring that women's driver's licenses match voter registration records. And that their passports and their driver's licenses say exactly the same thing. While this was done to disadvantage immigrants, it has also disadvantaged women who have married, changed their last name, but not had the first, maiden, married names on the license. When they go to vote, their voter registration doesn't match and they are denied the chance to vote.

My point was that drivers' licenses are administered by each state, and that the OP should be sure to get California-specific info.

Sukie

Interesting. I guess my wife got all that done before this law/rule went into place.

However, I wonder, how can they expect a green card holder's information to match voter registration records? Does it simply fall to what name is on their foreign passport?

Edited by sunshine79

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.