JADM

when u can file for citizenship?

10 posts in this topic

Hi i got my conditional permanent resident card last june 20,2011 then it was expired june 20,2013.so i applied for removal of my conditional.permanent resident before it expired.and now i just got my green card.last septeber.i'm.just wondering when can i apply for citizenship?i came here in US sept.14,2010.and we got married nov.18.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

90 days before your 3rd year of GC and marriage to a USC

3 years would be June 20th, 2014, so 90 days prior you can file for citizenship

Hi i got my conditional permanent resident card last june 20,2011 then it was expired june 20,2013.so i applied for removal of my conditional.permanent resident before it expired.and now i just got my green card.last septeber.i'm.just wondering when can i apply for citizenship?i came here in US sept.14,2010.and we got married nov.18.

Have a look at this guide for applying for naturalization. It is not just a matter of 3 years or 5 years as a LPR, but there are continuous residency requirements and physical presence requirements. Most LPR meet these, but there are those here on VJ that used the GC as a tourist visa instead of living in the US. Look over the guide to see what is required.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok guys , Just to clarify. Is it 90days prior to 3rd year Wedding Anniversary or Date on 10years GC anniversary?

@ Aleful, just want to make sure I understand you correctly. Anyone's advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Wizzle

I-130 for " Chicago Lock-box "

Applying for my 2 children...

Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock-box

Sent on --- 08/29/2016

Received --- 08/31/2016

NOA 1 : 09/01/2016

Sent to : Potomac Service Center

NOA 2 : 01/03/2017

NVC:

Sent AOS & IV Packets:02/01/2017
Scan Date: 02/10/2017
Case Complete: 04/24/2017
Interview Date: **/**/****
Visa Approved: **/**/****
Visa In Hand: **/**/****

********************************************************************************************************

~"Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on what we are waiting for..."~

~Charles Stanley~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Ok guys , Just to clarify. Is it 90days prior to 3rd year Wedding Anniversary or Date on 10years GC anniversary?

@ Alefu, just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Thanks

hi

since you were a resident on your 2 year GC. it doesn't matter that you are a conditional resident, the fact is you are a resident, and the 2 year card has a date that says resident since.....

that's the date to start counting from

So it is not from the day you get here?or the day you got married?

The date that matters in this calculation is the one on your green card next to "Resident since".

If you entered the US on certain types of visa, the date on which you entered the country and the date on which you became a permanent resident may be the same.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

So it is not from the day you get here?or the day you got married?

This is an AND condition. You must be married for 3 yeas to your USC spouse AND have been a LPR for the past 3 years. Obviously one of those will be longer than the other.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.