noesum

I-130 Step-daughter.. Mother abandoned her, what to do?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am fairly new to this and have just started the process for petitioning my husband and his daughter (7 years old). I've read through some forums but am still a bit confused about this. My husband told me he has full custody of his daughter since her mother abandoned her when she was a baby and no one knows where she is... My question is: will the consulate (Dominican Republic) still ask for a notarized letter from the mother? Also, can I sign my step-daughter's G-325A? My husband had signed it and sent it to me but I realized he made a mistake on the form... So instead of him signing and sending another can I sign for her instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

a 7 year old doesn't need a G325a.

but you will need a photocopy of the child's birth certificate.

Please reread the I-130 instructions carefully. There is a section in there for step children. Be aware that she needs her own petition.

I suggest making sure he has a court ordered custody agreement, which shouldn't be too hard to get considering no one can find the mother.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures, from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America ~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

a 7 year old doesn't need a G325a.

but you will need a photocopy of the child's birth certificate.

Please reread the I-130 instructions carefully. There is a section in there for step children. Be aware that she needs her own petition.

I suggest making sure he has a court ordered custody agreement, which shouldn't be too hard to get considering no one can find the mother.

Thank you! I was just following instructions for I-130 and did not see specific section for step children. Hubbie says he has court record for full custody of his daughter, can he just scan and email so I can print here or should he send original copy?

I have the original copy of step-daughter's birth certificate, though, which is an entirely different problem because the birth certificate says August 1st, but hubbie swears up and down she was born August 2nd. Should we try to resolve this issue or just process as is?

You won't need the court records until the interview. You don't need a copy.

I would leave her birthday as is until it doesn't take much time to fix. You will send a photocopy not an original with the I-130 petition. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the child's date of birth on the birth certificate matches the rest of her other documents (like passport), just keep it as it is.

Thanks everyone for your help! So glad I joined this site. Since she doesn't need a G325-A should I attach the picture to the I-130 packet then? Also, she doesn't think of me as her "step-mother" she calls me "auntie" which I'm completely fine with, just worried that during the interview they might ask "who is your step-mother?" And she will draw a blank... I don't want her to feel obligated to call me mom or anything, so how can we solve this issue if it comes up? Just explain to the consular officer, or would it look bad?

Sorry for bombarding this thread again but just wanted to say I found the wiki for IR-2/CR-2 visa and realized no passport photos are required for step-daughter. Thank you to everyone who took the time to view my thread ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.