CupcakeVN

Passport Name vs. Visa Name

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My fiance got her visa, (yay!) but I don't know if I should worry that her name is not 100% correct on the visa.

Her given name is like "XXX YYY" but on the visa it is "YYY XXX." I realized this when she sent me a picture of her visa. I emailed pictures of her passport and her visa to the consulate, and asked if they needed to re-issue a visa, and they said that the name on the visa matches what they have in the State Department database.

She has her flight to America in about two weeks. For what it's worth, she is Vietnamese, coming from Vietnam.

Do we need to change her name in the system and get a new visa issued? Will she be turned away the way it is now? I'd hate to further delay the process.

My fiance got her visa, (yay!) but I don't know if I should worry that her name is not 100% correct on the visa.

Her given name is like "XXX YYY" but on the visa it is "YYY XXX." I realized this when she sent me a picture of her visa. I emailed pictures of her passport and her visa to the consulate, and asked if they needed to re-issue a visa, and they said that the name on the visa matches what they have in the State Department database.

She has her flight to America in about two weeks. For what it's worth, she is Vietnamese, coming from Vietnam.

Do we need to change her name in the system and get a new visa issued? Will she be turned away the way it is now? I'd hate to further delay the process.

Ask the airline too. They will be the first ones to either grant her boarding or not. The US has the information in their computers plus the visa is attached to her passport, not an easy thing to forge. The Embassy may say it is okay and not re-issue you a new visa only to have the airlines say that the visa is not valid and she cannot board the airplane.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Timeline

I suggest you do a little more homework. What it appears happened is they flipped the order of her name, showing her family name last, which is the convention here in the US. For example, if her name was Nguyen Thi Thanh Phuong and the visa says Phuong Nguyen I wouldn't be that worried.

Regardless, suggest you do some more digging before panicking.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's like the difference between "John Henry Smith" and "Henry John Smith."

To be clear: it's not an issue of given name vs family name. Like many people in Vietnam, she has two parts to her given name, but she goes by the second part. For example, her name is "XXX YYY Nguyen" but I have always called her "YYY" and with her friends and family she is "YYY." Her passport says "XXX YYY Nguyen" but the visa says "YYY XXX Nguyen."

I had asked the consulate to change it months ago, but they said they could not.

Filed: Timeline

It's like the difference between "John Henry Smith" and "Henry John Smith."

To be clear: it's not an issue of given name vs family name. Like many people in Vietnam, she has two parts to her given name, but she goes by the second part. For example, her name is "XXX YYY Nguyen" but I have always called her "YYY" and with her friends and family she is "YYY." Her passport says "XXX YYY Nguyen" but the visa says "YYY XXX Nguyen."

I had asked the consulate to change it months ago, but they said they could not.

This happens frequently - flipping of the order. I personally don't think it is a problem, especially if the consulate didn't feel it was an issue. The airline shouldn't have an issue, since she is departing from VN and they obviously understand the situation.

I call my wife Vo. If I use her name (YYY) without a pronoun before it I get a glare. It does get her attention however. smile.png

The middle name being out of order shouldn't be an issue either...say Thi before Phuong or after...

Edited by JRF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.