drchouinard

US Permanent Resident Traveling To/From Canada Without Passport?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband's passport is expired (originally from Canada.) We just realized this, but were hoping to visit his family around Christmas, and we are now worried that the renewed passport will not get here in time.

I found on the US site www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders that lawful permanent residents can use their Permanent Resident Card for entry when traveling by land, and I found something on Trip Advisor saying that permanent residents could use their Permanent Resident Card for entry to Canada from the US. Also, technically to enter Canada, you just need proof of your citizenship and identity, so the Permanent Resident Card or driver's license and his birth certificate should suffice, right?

Anyone else figure this out or have knowledge one way or another?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Also found something stating that document requirements for permanent residents did not change under WHTI.. so just the Permanent Resident Card should be enough I think.. It just sounds crazy, so I thought I would check to see if anyone else had any experience with this.

A permanent resident doesn't need to show their passport upon re-entry to the US, only their green card: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191

"U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States".

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

*should* work... You may get hassled at the border so be prepared.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Bring his Canadian Birth Certificate or Citizenship Certificate.

He shouldn't get hassled, I've done it many, many times. I have my passport with me and simply don't show it (and they don't ask).

Enter Canada:

Proper identification includes a Canadian passport, a Canadian birth certificate, a Canadian citizenship certificate, a Certificate of Indian Status or a Canadian Permanent Resident Card. -

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

Enter the US:

Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States:Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents are not changed under WHTI. Lawful Permanent Residents are required to present their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status. A passport is not required for entry into the United States. - http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/can_sa.html
Edited by Boston~Montreal

A permanent resident doesn't need to show their passport upon re-entry to the US, only their green card: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191

"U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States".

Interesting. On our last trip outside the US, my wife handed the CBP her GC, but the CBP asked my wife for her passport. She stamped it and annotated it with "OOC 23 days" which was how long we were outside the US--she asked me that question twice. So it may depend on who you get when arriving back in the US. OP: At least you can ask when crossing from the US to Canada by land. Any way to enter Canada and get a new passport while there or are the processing times too long?

Good luck,

Dave

They can ask for it, but can't deny you entry on the basis of you not providing it.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to add 'the obvious' in case it is relevant smile.png - you only need your green card and not your passport you are crossing at a land border. If you are flying into Canada you do need the passport. You may find flying to a border city, renting a car and driving into Canada a viable option if you were thinking of flying originally.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know you can request urgent processing for passport renewal at the local Canadian embassy/consulate, you might just have to pay a bit more. I know in Canada they can even give you your new passport that same day (for extra fee) since I remember seeing ppl who realized their passport expired on the day of their flight.

Also on the renewal form they ask you when do you intend to travel, I suppose they will try to have it done before that date for you if this is asked.

Bottom line maybe it's worth to pay the extra fee just to save yourselves the worry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.