Buttons

Medical Problems

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I've been reading all of the forums and such but can not find any info like this.

About 7 years ago I did something really stupid and thought that I would take my own life. I was young, stupid and in a bad relationship. Since then I have overcome all of my emotional issues. Will this delay my Visa? What can I do to show the medical physicain it was just a stupid thing ? Thanks for anyones help.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

the first thing you can do is to be honest ... the second is to bring along documentation that you were treated and released at the time of your suicide attempt.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

the first thing you can do is to be honest ... the second is to bring along documentation that you were treated and released at the time of your suicide attempt.

Just a thought, but depending on your religious back ground.....I would think that also some type of affidated either from your self or maybe even some sort of clergy saying you have resolved this issue could be helpful....Less things have been dealt with in this order and who can really argue with "GOD" and our sins... wow its really late i think i should get some sleep this K~1 packet has me a tad bit ODD!!! Good Luck with your Journey :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

K-1 Sent to Vermont St Patrick's Day~ May the Luck of the Irish Be With Us Today!! 3/17/06

NOA1 03-25-06

Touch 06-16-06=RFE Email

Touch 06-17-06

RFE Arrived 06-21-06

RFE Sent back to Vermont 06-21-06

RFE Delivered 06/23/06 10:55am

RFE-Touch 06/24/06

Touch 06/27/06

Approved 08/21/06 {157 days)

Touch 08/22/06

NVC Letter 08-25-06 Hard Copy

Left NVC 08-25-06

Arrived at London 09-01-06

Packet 3 Arrived at Steves Door 09-05-06

Packet 3 Sent back to London 09-15-06

London Medical 09-29-06- Completed

Packet 4 11-20-06

Londen Interview 12-08-06 APPROVED

Visa in Hand 12-12-06

Enters the USA 12-13-06

WEDDING DAY 2/18/07 @ 3pm

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a thought, but depending on your religious back ground.....I would think that also some type of affidated either from your self or maybe even some sort of clergy saying you have resolved this issue could be helpful....Less things have been dealt with in this order and who can really argue with "GOD" and our sins... wow its really late i think i should get some sleep this K~1 packet has me a tad bit ODD!!! Good Luck with your Journey :)

Um, I don't think the USCIS is concerned about God and sin...I think they would be more interested in knowing the person has been treated for their mental problem at the time (i.e. suicide attempt) than anything else. Just MHO. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Nobody was asking me a question about what happened 7 years ago to me at my medical. The doc only asked how I feel today - GOOD..... :-)

Good luck, Anja

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

Nobody was asking me a question about what happened 7 years ago to me at my medical. The doc only asked how I feel today - GOOD..... :-)

Good luck, Anja

Yeah my train of thought too. Lots of people can go through a bout of depression (situational), suicide attempt or not, and it not be labled a life term mental condition. It happens, its over, end of story. Perhaps if one has been diagnosed as bipolar, schitzophrenic, or has ongoing depression where one is on meds, etc, that this is the type of mental illness they are referring to.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I had issues with self-harm due to situational depression which ultimately ended up with me in the hospital having OD'd. Since that time I have been medication-free and have not self-harmed again. Because of that, I did not mention it on my immigration paperwork and I was approved fine.

Congrats on getting over it :)

Edited by clmarsh

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Timeline
I had issues with self-harm due to situational depression which ultimately ended up with me in the hospital having OD'd. Since that time I have been medication-free and have not self-harmed again. Because of that, I did not mention it on my immigration paperwork and I was approved fine.

Congrats on getting over it :)

Thanks everyone for the info , just want things to go smoothly. It was a long time ago and would just like to put it in the past.

yeah, if you are currently healthy I would think there wouldn't be any issues. Good to hear you've made it through your issues safely though! Good luck! :)

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you say too much you can buy trouble for yourself... as I found out, being compulsively honest. My medical exam turned into an hour of cross-questioning and then I had to get a letter from my psychiatrist to pass the medical... and then when I was doing my AOS I got a letter from USCIS saying I was required to have a followup medical exam in the US before they'd adjust me!

But in the end it all worked out. I got the visa, came to the US, and got my greencard... I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and worry if I'd brought a statement from my head-shrinker to the initial medical but it never occurred to me that I'd need it.

I don't know if it applies to you, but an accidental overdose does NOT COUNT. I didn't have to tell them in the first place...

If your depression issues have been successfully resolved that's all you need to tell them, but you need a letter from your doctor to back yourself up.

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Timeline
If you say too much you can buy trouble for yourself... as I found out, being compulsively honest. My medical exam turned into an hour of cross-questioning and then I had to get a letter from my psychiatrist to pass the medical... and then when I was doing my AOS I got a letter from USCIS saying I was required to have a followup medical exam in the US before they'd adjust me!

But in the end it all worked out. I got the visa, came to the US, and got my greencard... I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and worry if I'd brought a statement from my head-shrinker to the initial medical but it never occurred to me that I'd need it.

I don't know if it applies to you, but an accidental overdose does NOT COUNT. I didn't have to tell them in the first place...

If your depression issues have been successfully resolved that's all you need to tell them, but you need a letter from your doctor to back yourself up.

Thank you all again so much , and you would think that if depression was a issue I wouldn't be able to handle this daunting Visa Process. I think that is the test of all of our mental sanity. Life throws us curves and sometime you go with them and sometimes you are strong enough to fight them. I've decided I'm a better person and I will fight them All THE WAY !!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yeah my train of thought too. Lots of people can go through a bout of depression (situational), suicide attempt or not, and it not be labled a life term mental condition. It happens, its over, end of story. Perhaps if one has been diagnosed as bipolar, schitzophrenic, or has ongoing depression where one is on meds, etc, that this is the type of mental illness they are referring to.

Well, Dave(USC) is bipolar...... he hasn't had the symptoms in a long time but he's on med to prevent mood swings from coming. I hope that doesn't affect us!! I don't think it will. :unsure::star:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Well, Dave(USC) is bipolar...... he hasn't had the symptoms in a long time but he's on med to prevent mood swings from coming. I hope that doesn't affect us!! I don't think it will. :unsure::star:

They are only interested if the non USC has mental illness. So dont be worrying about it. :no:

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
:thumbs::thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.