emelielindgren

Traveling to the US with the entire family and pending I-130

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Please give me your input as I'm horrified of the outcome if it doesn't work.

We are currently waiting for our I-130 which is still in initial review. No stress about that as of now, that is allright.

We are living in my country in Europe, sweden, me, my USC husband and our dual citizen child, we also have another child due in a month.

As we are both taking parenting leave in january, february, and march (me eve longer) we figured that we should spend that time in the states, or actually only 5 weeks (already booked tickets), so that we can spend time with our family there and show off our new baby boy and let my husbands parents snuggle with their grandchildren.

My husband is working in sweden, and has to be back at work in middle of march, we are leaving at the end of january.

but with me as a swede, with a pending petition, and my husband as a USC and our two children both USC, entering the states, will it raise a redflag? Im so worried to get turned away at the border after such long flilght with two such young children, and we are also bringing our little puppy as we are staying for so long, cant really feed himself for 5 weeks.

Supporting documents we will be bringing.

- employment papers for both me and my husband.

- open bankstatements of income, savings and loans, and creditcards. And a letter from our bankman stating our commitments to the bank.

- future dr appointments for the children.

- letter stating we are on parentingleave.

- lease agreement for our home.
- proof that we are registered on that address.

- and obviously we have returnticket for the entire family 5 weeks later.

- around 4000 dollars cash for vaccation spendings.

We have absolutely no intention of overstaying, as we wont start the process of getting ready to move until I have my visa in hand, as we have no idea how long the process might be, and I have 6 months to get ready for the move after I revieve my visa, plenty of time to pay off the loans, sell our stuff and get our savings in order and set up camp overseas with help from family.

Do you think we will be facing problems? we travelled to the states last november for 2 weeks, but at that time we werent married and our daughter flew in on her swedish passport and we did not have a pending I-130.

Im so scared, as getting sent back home isn't really an option with two children under the age of 2.

So I am not even visiting my husband, as my husband lives in sweden too, we are just visiting his family in the US and all of us is returning back to sweden after 5 weeks vacation.

What do you think? Pls let me know, be honest, be brutal, put it all on the table ;) better safe than sorry, be honest, what do you think? NO, fly back home or; have a nice stay?

Wait so you're 7 months pregnant? Are you even allowed to fly at that stage?

Honestly, I believe you of course but I feel like you will absolutely have problems convincing them of your story. Especially with the dog too (5 weeks isn't really that long for a lot of people), it seems like you're there to overstay and adjust status. Just my honest opinion.

My husband and I lived in China while married, and when we left I went to the US on visa waiver for 3 months so I could help take our 2 cats (you need one adult per animal) and spend last moments with my husband before the visa wait.. Well, I was held in a little room and questioned for almost 3 hours because they believed it seemed like I was there to stay. It was very very stressful, easily the worst I've ever felt in my life.

I've seen boarder patrol shows where they've pulled up heavily pregnant women and barred them at point of entry. They said 'yeah, we find women doing that because it means they can automatically get a visa to stay' or something to that affect. Anyway I'm not sure I just worry for you going through that stress.

Good luck! I hope I'm wrong!

event.png

Timeline

Wait so you're 7 months pregnant? Are you even allowed to fly at that stage?

Honestly, I believe you of course but I feel like you will absolutely have problems convincing them of your story. Especially with the dog too (5 weeks isn't really that long for a lot of people), it seems like you're there to overstay and adjust status. Just my honest opinion.

My husband and I lived in China while married, and when we left I went to the US on visa waiver for 3 months so I could help take our 2 cats (you need one adult per animal) and spend last moments with my husband before the visa wait.. Well, I was held in a little room and questioned for almost 3 hours because they believed it seemed like I was there to stay. It was very very stressful, easily the worst I've ever felt in my life.

I've seen boarder patrol shows where they've pulled up heavily pregnant women and barred them at point of entry. They said 'yeah, we find women doing that because it means they can automatically get a visa to stay' or something to that affect. Anyway I'm not sure I just worry for you going through that stress.

Good luck! I hope I'm wrong!

No, I'm due in a month and we would be leaving in january. so our son would be born, have a passport and everything. Why would I do something illeagal, with my children involved like that:/ seems weird to me that people would even suspect that..

My husband is not staying in the states either, we are all leaving..

I completely believe you! I'm just saying that the point of entry officers will always have the worst impression of your situation. Just be prepared for that is all I'm saying. I'm sure all will be fine since you have all bases covered.

event.png

Remember that POE officers will assume that people are intending immigrants by default so the proof of burden to show otherwise is on you.

Put yourself in the officers' shoes, what would it look like if a woman with a pending petition was to enter the country with her husband, 2 young kids AND a puppy? Try to think like an officer to help you prepare yourself for questions that could arise.

Good luck!

Married in Texas Sept. 16, 2013

Sent I-130 Nov. 3, 2013

Received NOA1 (email) Dec. 19, 2013

Requested Expedite Jan. 2, 2014

Approved Expedite Jan. 4, 2014

Case sent to NVC Jan. 15, 2014

Received NOA1 (mail) Jan. 22, 2014

NVC Received Case Jan. 27, 2014

Received NOA2 (mail) Feb. 25, 2014

NVC Assigned Case Number Mar. 11, 2014

Paid AOS Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Paid IV Fee Mar. 29, 2014

Submitted DS-260 Apr. 4, 2014

Mailed in IV packet Apr. 8, 2014

Submitted AOS packet Forgot the date

Case complete May 31, 2014

Medical Jun. 26, 2014

Interview Jul. 8, 2014

POE (LAX) Sept. 16, 2014

Paid ELIS May 16, 2015

Received GC May 23, 2015

I-751 Receipt Date July 5, 2016

ROC NOA July 15, 2016

I-751 Biometrics Aug. 5, 2016

ROC Approved Sept. 18, 2017
Received GC Sept. 25, 2017

CR1 Spousal Visa Guide

TBErp8.png

YEP0m5.png

Timeline

Remember that POE officers will assume that people are intending immigrants by default so the proof of burden to show otherwise is on you.

Put yourself in the officers' shoes, what would it look like if a woman with a pending petition was to enter the country with her husband, 2 young kids AND a puppy? Try to think like an officer to help you prepare yourself for questions that could arise.

Good luck!

I think it would look more weird if I flew by myself to visist my husband. but we all live in sweden and we are all going back.

As the puppy seems to be a problem, I am about to start looking into kenneling options here in sweden, so he will have to stay behind then.. we hate leaving him for that long though, but getting back on a 14 hour flight with two infants after just getting off one is even worse..

so frustrating.. I dont understand why it would be better if my husband lives in the states, and I were to visit him as I see so many others with pending petitions flying into the states on the VWP visiting their loved ones all the time.. we have a life in sweden that we would have to return to.. so I honestly cant say that I would understand if I was refused entry.. we are there on vaccation..

I would be very careful - esp with the dog. You are bringing a newborn and a dog along with you and that would def. raise red flags if I was checking you into the country. Would you consider leaving the puppy at home? I do wish you luck and congrats on your soon to be newborn baby!

We are traveling over Christmas to NY to visit my parents with my 7 month old son but leaving our dogs at home here. We are bringing proof of employment for my husband, rental contract in his name and bank statements here with us. That should be enough, hopefully.

Started dating: August 24, 2007 heart.gif

Married: June 5, 2010

Baby: May 5, 2013 goofy.gif

Filed I 130: November 15, 2013

USCIS

NOA 1: November 21, 2013 (hard copy December 4, 2013)

NOA 2: July 8, 2014

NVC

Case Number assigned: July 8, 2014

AOS Fee Paid: July 9, 2014

IV Cover page received: September 16, 2014

IV Fee Paid: September 16, 2014

DS 260 filled out online and confirmation received: October 13, 2014

Checklist cover letter received: November 4, 2014

Documents sent: November 11, 2013

Documents received at NH: November 13, 2014 (Sent with attn. to DR not CMR)

Note: We filed with the Chicago Lockbox as we cannot do a DCF here in Argentina. dry.png

Timeline

I would be very careful - esp with the dog. You are bringing a newborn and a dog along with you and that would def. raise red flags if I was checking you into the country. Would you consider leaving the puppy at home? I do wish you luck and congrats on your soon to be newborn baby!

We are traveling over Christmas to NY to visit my parents with my 7 month old son but leaving our dogs at home here. We are bringing proof of employment for my husband, rental contract in his name and bank statements here with us. That should be enough, hopefully.

Yes I do udnerstand that I will have to leave our dog at home.. it's just hard, he goes everywhere with us and is just as much as a familymember as anyone. but, yes, Ill stay behind. its hard to find a sitter for that long, thats all.

Yes I do udnerstand that I will have to leave our dog at home.. it's just hard, he goes everywhere with us and is just as much as a familymember as anyone. but, yes, Ill stay behind. its hard to find a sitter for that long, thats all.

I know, that is difficult. Is there a service in Sweden similar to rover.com? Maybe something like that would be an option? Wishing you the best of luck!

Started dating: August 24, 2007 heart.gif

Married: June 5, 2010

Baby: May 5, 2013 goofy.gif

Filed I 130: November 15, 2013

USCIS

NOA 1: November 21, 2013 (hard copy December 4, 2013)

NOA 2: July 8, 2014

NVC

Case Number assigned: July 8, 2014

AOS Fee Paid: July 9, 2014

IV Cover page received: September 16, 2014

IV Fee Paid: September 16, 2014

DS 260 filled out online and confirmation received: October 13, 2014

Checklist cover letter received: November 4, 2014

Documents sent: November 11, 2013

Documents received at NH: November 13, 2014 (Sent with attn. to DR not CMR)

Note: We filed with the Chicago Lockbox as we cannot do a DCF here in Argentina. dry.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

First fill your Time Line?

USCIS
2013/04/27 : Mailed I-130 petition to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox, Arizona.
2013/04/30 : I-130 PETITION PRIORITY DATE (NOA1).
2013/05/02 : Received (NOA1) hardcopy by mail from National Benefits Center (NBC).
2013/12/04 : I-130 petition transferred from National Benefits Center (NBC) to Nebraska Service Center (NSC).
2014/02/12 : I-130 PETITION APPROVED (NOA2) at Nebraska Service Center (NSC).
2014/02/13 : Approved I-130 petition shipped from Nebraska Service Center (NSC) to National Visa Center (NVC).
2014/02/18 : Received (NOA2) hardcopy by mail from Nebraska Service Center (NSC).
NATIONAL VISA CENTER (NVC)
2014/02/25 : National Visa Center (NVC) received approved I130 petition from Nebraska Service Center (NSC).
2014/03/31 : Case Number, IIN & BIN generated.
2014/04/01 : DS-261 available. Completed & submitted online.
2014/04/01 : AOS fee bill invoiced & paid online.

2014/04/04 : AOS fee payment status appears as PAID.

2014/04/08 : IV fee bill invoiced & paid online.

2014/04/11 : IV fee payment status appears as PAID.

2014/04/12 : DS-260 available. Completed & submitted online.

2014/06/24 : IV packet delivered at National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/07/01 : IV packet scanned into system.

2014/07/28 : AOS packet delivered at National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/07/30 : AOS packet scanned into system.

2014/08/13 : IV packet reviewed & accepted by National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/09/23 : AOS checklist email received from National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/09/24 : AOS checklist correction mailed to National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/09/29 : AOS checklist correction scanned into system at National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/11/17 : CASE COMPLETED at National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/12/03 : Interview scheduled by National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/12/09 : Received interview letter (P4) email from National Visa Center (NVC).

2014/12/19 : Case shipped from National Visa Center (NVC) to US consulate Mumbai. CEAC status says 'In Transit'.

INTERVIEW & POE

2014/12/15 : Medicals completed.

2014/12/22 : Case received at US consulate Mumbai. CEAC status says 'Ready'.

2015/01/05 : Biometrics appointment scheduled.

2015/01/20 : INTERVIEW at US consulate Mumbai.

Is your plan to travel in the Visa Waver Program (im not sure if Sweden is in the program with the US). If on the VWP you should not have any issues. However if you're coming on an actual Travel / Visitor Visa, that could cause red flags...not necessarily at the boarder (although I'm not 100% sure about that) but on your CR1 petition. I think you have excellent documentaton to prove your intention to return back to Sweden otherwise. Personal opinion is that you talk directly with the American Consulate/Embassy in Sweden to verify for certain....the USCIS cant (prob wont) be of much help with this

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly, if you arent looking to overstaym, have a return ticket, and are honest, they will prolly just stamp and you will be on your way...

DONT LIE! but only answer what was asked and NOTHING more....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Honestly, I'd think bringing the puppy might be a red flag. Do you not have any family in Sweden who could house him? Have you looked into all the rules for quarantine?

Entered on a K1 Visa, now a proud holder of a ten-year Green Card!

K1

NOA 1: 2013-08-05

NOA 2: 2013-10-03

Interview: 2013-11-14 (Approved right away!)

US Entry: 2013-12-28

AOS

NOA 1: 2014-03-14

Interview waived!

Green Card approved: 2015-01-21

ROC

NOA 1: 2016-10-25

Interview waived!

Green Card approved: 2017-09-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Agree on the puppy... A red flag for sure as it looks like you are uprooting everyone... Plus, the quarantine is up to 4 weeks in some cases.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i didnt read the puppy...! yes, leave the pup back home... ekkkk! i would be suspicious with family for 5 weeks with dog and in process of immigrating...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.