Apsj29

married joint sponsor but wife doesn't work

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi VJ members, I didn't want to start a new thread but here I am. Here's my question: I am an IR-1 Petitioner. My sole joint sponsor is married therefore he filled his taxes as married/jointly but his wife doesn't work (no income), she's his dependent. He filled out his I-864 but does his wife have to file an I-864A also? Please shed some light on this for me. Thx for ur replies.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi VJ members, I didn't want to start a new thread but here I am. Here's my question: I am an IR-1 Petitioner. My sole joint sponsor is married therefore he filled his taxes as married/jointly but his wife doesn't work (no income), she's his dependent. He filled out his I-864 but does his wife have to file an I-864A also? Please shed some light on this for me. Thx for ur replies.

To be sure it's better if she filed even if she don't work. Never knows what the CO asks you in the interview. Maby they want even here I 864 A better heve it with you friend. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No she doesn't have to fill out a I-864A his attached W2 will show his income along with his tax forms so they know who has the income.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

No she doesn't have to fill out a I-864A his attached W2 will show his income along with his tax forms so they know who has the income.[/quote

Are you sure? Because the I 864A is a contract betwen the joint and his wife if he is marryed. I am in the same situation and the NVC send me the doc for interview what to bring and on the list was even the I 864A. Any way I will get with me the I 864 A to be sure never knows .

If the wife doesn't work include a copy of the W2 like dwheels has stated. That will show she doesn't make any income.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I have a follow up question.I'm an IR-1 petitioner. I have sponsored siblings before but at the time my father was the petitioner. He used a lawyer whom I believed retired or passed on... anyway I'm trying to figure out my household size and I know I must include all people I've previously sponsored but the truth is I don't know how many of my siblings I actually sponsored. My father no longer has the paperwork, the lawyer can't be reached. What do I do now? Go with my best guess? Is there somehow I could find that info out?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have a follow up question.I'm an IR-1 petitioner. I have sponsored siblings before but at the time my father was the petitioner. He used a lawyer whom I believed retired or passed on... anyway I'm trying to figure out my household size and I know I must include all people I've previously sponsored but the truth is I don't know how many of my siblings I actually sponsored. My father no longer has the paperwork, the lawyer can't be reached. What do I do now? Go with my best guess? Is there somehow I could find that info out?

You have no idea how many siblings you have? Do you really have that many siblings?

If you filled out a I-864 for anyone you count it . USCIS will never tell you so you have to assume it was approved.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

They aren't that many. It was 3 of them plus my mother so that's 4 altogether. My father never shared with me the specifics (at the time neither him or myself knew anything about that stuff so we just gave the attorney all the papers he asked for) but I know that of all 4 I sponsored at least 1 for sure but most likely I sponsored 2 or 3 of them. If it was 2 then my income will be ok according to the 2013 guidelines but if it was 3 plus now the immigrant I'm petitioning for plus myself which would total to 5 I would fall below the threshold. I'm tempted to go with 2 but I don't want to involuntarily withhold any information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.