LSL

Border crossing with visa or green card

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Questions:

1) once you cross the border with the CR1/IR1 visa you are supposed to stay in the US until you get the green card? or is it possible to go back to Canada for a short visit?

2) once you have the green card can you travel between the Canada/US without restrictions or is there a specific travel document or a rule about exit and entry?

I mean if I want to go visit my family and friends in Canada...

Thanks in advance :)

L.

IMHO I would never leave the country without having the Green card in my possession. The US might not let you back in. Just my thoughts, but then I am very careful.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is an "Immigrant" Visa and will as such allow the applicant to arrive in the US as a Legal Permanent Resident.

ball.gifAfter entry into the US, as a Permanent Resident they will not require special permission to leave the US for travel. No Advance Parole (AP) document is required.

ball.gif IR1/CR1 Visas

Keep it Real

IMHO I would never leave the country without having the Green card in my possession. The US might not let you back in. Just my thoughts, but then I am very careful.

Yah, I will probably wait for the green card to arrive, but once I have it can I travel without any specific limitations or do I need to get some form of additional US travel document ?

Your immigrant visa, once stamped by the CBP officer will act as temporary evidence of your permanent resident status for one year. It is safe to go back to Canada with a stamped/endorsed immigrant visa. Once you get the physical green card, use that along with your Canadian passport.

In fact, the bottom of an immigrant visa reads "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year." The "endorsement" is the stamp you get the first time you enter the US on the visa.

In the future, no other document than your Canadian passport and US green card are required for entry.

The only restriction is that you have to live in the US. You can't have permanent resident status in the US if you don't reside in the US. This only becomes relevant if you plan on taking very extended vacations.

Edited by Yang-Ja

Yah, I will probably wait for the green card to arrive, but once I have it can I travel without any specific limitations or do I need to get some form of additional US travel document ?

I would carry every ID I have to be safe. Passport, Green card, drivers license....you can never have too many ID's.

You can get back to Canada the next day... that's no problem; a friend of mine moved over a weekend, doing many trips in and out - the stamp in your passport is the evidence of your status.

see: www.getyouhome.gov

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

The stamp in your passport (I551) stamp will let you back in... My hubby traveled internationally only days after he arrived for work.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep like the informed people have stated, the I-551 that is endorsed in your passport acts as the "greencard" Travel all you want, (up to a certain amount of time,without having to file more paperwork, think it is a year) 1 of the benefits of the Cr-1/Ir-1

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.