SmilingEyes

Feeling overwhelmed, just starting

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've lurked these forums for a while and finally registered as we are now getting prepared to apply for the k1 visa. I'll give a brief backround and then ask my questions.

My fiancée and I met 6 years ago online, met in person for the first time in 2010. I live in Ontario, Canada and he's from New Jersey. He has been in Canada for a while now. We just recently welcomed out beautiful babygirl into this world, 9 weeks ago...yikes, they grow so fast! I am sincerely overwhelmed and confused by this whole process, I have read the guides and I'm still at a loss.

Questions.

1. Where do we start?! What exact forms need to be filled out and what is the process? I see people talking about noa1 and noa2 and I'm confused as to where that all comes from.

2. Does anyone know if my daughter needs to be included in the application or did she acquire status at birth since my fiancée is a citizen? We obviously we're not married at the time of her birth.

3. Unfortunately, my fiancée has overstayed in Canada, will this affect our application?

4. We were planning on sending all of our paperwork to his parents and then they will send it off to the appropriate place for us, instead of doing abroad, from what I've read this is allowed, please confirm. In addition to this question, are we able to put his parents address for my fiancées address? This is where we plan to stay.

5. My fiancées father will be the cosponser, is there anything he needs to fill out for the k1 process or does that come later when we would adjust status?

I have a million more questions but I guess I'll start with these. I've read that you don't need a lawyer unless you have complications, ours would me him overstaying here, but that Is it. I'm hoping to get all the help I need from you wonderful people. Sorry in advance for the extremely long post and any typos, iPad autocorrect is horrible.

Edited by SmilingEyes

I agree that the process can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get the ball rolling it becomes easier. The hardest part is the waiting in between steps. If you've read the guides, you're well on the way, they honestly have all the information you need. We submitted our K1 packet using nothing more than that information and haven't had any trouble. The main forms you need to fill out are the I-129F (which is the actual petition for the visa) and two G-325As (one for you, one for your fiance). Read the instructions for each of those forms and it will tell you what other documents you need to include as supporting evidence.

The NOA-1 is the first thing you should receive after you file the petition. It's simply a receipt that says they have received your case and begun looking at it. You should get that within a week from sending in your packet. The NOA-2 means they've approved your petition and are forwarding it to the consulate so you can actually apply for the visa. The time it takes to get the NOA-2 varies. The national average is reportedly around 5 months, but it seems lately to be moving much faster. We got ours in 35 days.

07/19/2011 - Met while we were both working in Kuwait

03/18/2013 - I left Kuwait at the end of my contract and returned to the States

07/19/2013 - Got engaged!

09/24/2013 - Mailed in the I-129F packet to TSC

10/01/2013 - Received NOA-1

11/05/2013 - Received NOA-2

12/02/2013 - NVC receives the paperwork

12/03/2013 - Case number assigned

12/06/2013 - Case shipped to embassy

12/29/2013 - Case received by embassy

01/02/2014 - Interview scheduled for January 15th

01/07/2014 - Medical exam

01/11/2014 - Interview pushed back to January 22nd

01/22/2014 - Had the interview, was put into AP pending more documentation

01/26/2014 - Visa approved!

03/18/2014 - She entered USA

04/04/2014 - Married!

05/01/2014 - Filed AOS

05/09/2014 - AOS NOA

06/05/2014 - RFE for tax returns I didn't have when we filed

07/06/2014 - Biometrics appt in STL

08/13/2014 - The dreaded NPIW letter

04/25/2015 - E-mail notification of Green Card Approval!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is a general guideline...

I just typed out a response and it got erased - oops!!!

Anyhow, this is a good starting point

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

http://www.visajourney.com/content/support info about affidavit of support/co-sponsor .

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=&op1=&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=&op6=All timelines for K-1 processing. You can also make your own timeline once you start the process

Congrats on your new baby and your upcoming marriage!!! Good luck :)

Edited by gwenstar
s-event.png s-event.png
IR-1/CR-1 Visa : National Benefits Center NVC Received: 2014-01-08
Consulate : Montreal, Canada NVC Case Number: 2014-02-07
Marriage : 2013-02-22 Paid I-864 Bill: 2014-02-13
I-130 Sent : 2013-03-16 Sent I-864 Docs: 2014-02-14
I-130 NOA1 : 2013-03-20 Paid IV Bill: 2014-03-03
Trans. to NSC : 2013-11-05 Sent IV Docs: 2014-03-04
I-130 NOA2: 2013-12-16 Submitted DS-260: 2014-03-06

Case Complete 2014-03-21

Interview & APPROVED 2014-05-08

POE 2014-06-21

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Question for the experts here!

Since they (Smilingeyes and her fiance) already have a long established relationship, could they just get married in Canada (even a small wedding) and then let her husband file the I-130 instead of going for the K-1 visa? I read in the Guide that the processing time between the two is just about the same - probably about 2 months less for the K-1, and it makes more sense to just file the I-130.

Just asking..

Thanks

event.png

April 2, 2014: I-130 Filed with Chicago Lockbox

April 7, 2014: Packaged received by USCIS

April 8, 2014: Received NOA 1

Sept. 17, 2014: Received NOA 2. Case APPROVED with no RFEs

Oct. 17, 2014: Case # Assigned by NVC (Same day case was received, according to Julian # calculation)

Oct. 21, 2014: Received letter from NVC

Oct. 22, 2014: DS-261 completed and submitted to NVC

Oct. 31, 2014: Paid AOS invoice

Dec 08, 2014: Sent in IV & AoS packages

Dec 11, 2014: Package received by NVC

Dec 12, 2014: Received email from NVC acknowledging receipt. I assume this is our scan date

Dec 25, 2014: Paid IV bill

Dec 29, 2014: Funds deducted from bank account. DS-260 became available, and was completed

Dec 30, 2014: Submitted DS-260

Feb. 12, 2015: Case Complete with NO checklist! whoot, whoot!

Mar. 25, 2015: Received P4. Interview

April 29,2015: Completed medical examination

May 13, 2015: Interview Date APPROVED :dancing:

May 19, 2015: Received Package

Oct. 22, 2015: Travelled to my new home :) (In order to get IR-1 Green Card) Expiration date on IR-1/CR-1 Visa - Oct. 29, 2015

Nov 10, 2015: Received Social Security Card

Jan 4, 2016: LPR Green Card arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since they (Smilingeyes and her fiance) already have a long established relationship, could they just get married in Canada (even a small wedding) and then let her husband file the I-130 instead of going for the K-1 visa? I read in the Guide that the processing time between the two is just about the same - probably about 2 months less for the K-1, and it makes more sense to just file the I-130.

Just asking..

Thanks

It all depends on what they want to do. If the USC fiance is in Canada then it is possible that they could get married in Canada and do a spousal visa (I-130) DCF (Direct Consular Filing) if they have not already sent in the I-129F. Even if they have they could withdraw the I-129F and do spousal visa DCF. I am not sure what Canada's rules are if you overstay, but OP could check that out here: www.cic.gc.ca . Suggesting this site as it may affect whether or not he can travel back to Canada in the future. OP's fiance overstaying in Canada should not affect the USA visa process.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

It all depends on what they want to do. If the USC fiance is in Canada then it is possible that they could get married in Canada and do a spousal visa (I-130) DCF (Direct Consular Filing) if they have not already sent in the I-129F. Even if they have they could withdraw the I-129F and do spousal visa DCF.

DCF is not available in Canada.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Just asking..

Thanks

Yes, even people with short term relationships can do this. With current processing times being what they are though, I would stick with a K-1.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

DCF is not available in Canada.

I stand corrected...Thank you lost_at_sea.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Hi everyone,

I've lurked these forums for a while and finally registered as we are now getting prepared to apply for the k1 visa. I'll give a brief backround and then ask my questions.

My fiancée and I met 6 years ago online, met in person for the first time in 2010. I live in Ontario, Canada and he's from New Jersey. He has been in Canada for a while now. We just recently welcomed out beautiful babygirl into this world, 9 weeks ago...yikes, they grow so fast! I am sincerely overwhelmed and confused by this whole process, I have read the guides and I'm still at a loss.

Questions.

1. Where do we start?! What exact forms need to be filled out and what is the process? I see people talking about noa1 and noa2 and I'm confused as to where that all comes from.

This is the flowchart : http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

This is the step by step guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

You can read both of the above, you can find this link on top of this page, labeled "Guides" -->> Pick K1 visa

2. Does anyone know if my daughter needs to be included in the application or did she acquire status at birth since my fiancée is a citizen? We obviously we're not married at the time of her birth.

I "think" your daughter can be registered as U.S. Citizen since your finacee is a citizen, even though the child is born abroad.

Not quite sure about this one, hope the others can help you better.

3. Unfortunately, my fiancée has overstayed in Canada, will this affect our application?

Your fiancée will only be affected if she is going to apply for Canada AOS/visa. As long as you don't overstay your visa in U.S. You will be fine

4. We were planning on sending all of our paperwork to his parents and then they will send it off to the appropriate place for us, instead of doing abroad, from what I've read this is allowed, please confirm. In addition to this question, are we able to put his parents address for my fiancées address? This is where we plan to stay.

Yes you can use that address as U.S. Citizen address. You can ask them to submit paperwork from U.S.

5. My fiancées father will be the cosponser, is there anything he needs to fill out for the k1 process or does that come later when we would adjust status?

He will need to fill out the I-134 but that is not till later at the interview stage/ packet 3 stage. After NOA2

I have a million more questions but I guess I'll start with these. I've read that you don't need a lawyer unless you have complications, ours would me him overstaying here, but that Is it. I'm hoping to get all the help I need from you wonderful people. Sorry in advance for the extremely long post and any typos, iPad autocorrect is horrible.

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.