Rosie420

POE Questions!

12 posts in this topic

Hi! I haven't been around here a lot lately, kinda been taking a break from all the immigration stuff! Anyway, Danny will be here in 11 days, and I'm wondering about everyone's POE experiences, especially if you went through Charlotte, NC (though ALL information is welcome!).

Here's some things I'm curious about:

What kinds of questions were you asked?

How long did it take to get through Immigration?

What paperwork were you asked for?

What paperwork is returned to you? (Specifically, do you get the I-94 back from the Immigration officers, or do they keep it?)

Any other experiences/thoughts/comments, etc would be appreciated. I'm such a nervous person, I'd like to be a little more informed so I'm not just stressing over everything! Thanks in advance!

(F)

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

My POE was through LAX and I wasnt asked any questions whatsoever. The officer took my brown envelope from me that I got with my visa, stamped my I-94 and stapled in in my passport, then I was on my way!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

James's POE was Shannon airport in Ireland, its one of the few overseas they have. He didn't really get asked any questions. The only thing I have to add from your original post is about the I-94. In every experience I've had or heard about immigration the I-94 is something stapled into your passport and it is essential, so I don't think it is possible for them not to give it back as you asked about. I do have limited experience, so I could be wrong, but am pretty sure thats always how it works.

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Me - LAX - no real questions and no secondary inspection or trips to the back room... I just gave the envelope to the guy at the counter and he processed me through in five minutes.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I just want to make sure we know what to expect!

(F)

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

chicago poe...only ask when are you getting married/

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I entered through LAX, and was asked my fiance's name, and when we planned on getting married. The POE officer took the sealed envelope, opened it, and went through the paperwork. He then took my fingerprints, photograph, stapled the I-94 in my passport, and told me I have until May 16th to file AOS.

One word of warning. Don't attempt to make small talk with the POE officer. I did ("Looks like you've done quite a few of these"...what was I thinking??). I don't think he appreciated it.

I arrived into JFK 4 weeks ago. No problems coming through. It was all pretty straight forward. Tell Danny not to be nervous, be confident and a bit of small talk is actually ok with the POE officer. I guess it depends on the officer, but he should use his own judgement.I think i was all done in about 15 mins. And i didn't have to answer any awkward questions. In fact my officer was just making small talk herself with me. One word of warning, tell him to check his I94 before he leaves the immigration area. I didn't check properly and realised later that the administration staff never changed the date on their stamp so on the computer i am registered as having arrived on Tuesday but the stamps on the I94 and the passport state that i came in on Monday. Make sure he checks everything. Other than that its simple.

I entered through JFK and it was the easiest entry I have ever had...they took my 'brown envelope' at the initial inspection, then told me to go through to 'secondary inspection' where I waited for about 5 mins before I was called ...there were no questions really, the lady just asked when we were getting married...wished us luck and sent me on my way :D

Tell him not to worry

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: Timeline
Hi! I haven't been around here a lot lately, kinda been taking a break from all the immigration stuff! Anyway, Danny will be here in 11 days, and I'm wondering about everyone's POE experiences, especially if you went through Charlotte, NC (though ALL information is welcome!).

Here's some things I'm curious about:

What paperwork is returned to you? (Specifically, do you get the I-94 back from the Immigration officers, or do they keep it?)

Any other experiences/thoughts/comments, etc would be appreciated. I'm such a nervous person, I'd like to be a little more informed so I'm not just stressing over everything! Thanks in advance!

(F)

our poe experience was by land at buffalo, ny ... so it might not be the same, but similar.

the guy didn't really ask us any questions, but almost everyone there (working) said "aww :) he's got a greencard!"

he took the infamous brown envelope (which is just your paperwork that you sent to the nvc), stamped a few things, took a fingerprint ....

i don't recall being asked anything ... if he did, the question was so simple that it wasn't worth remembering. we were really nervous about the border crossing, but it was the easiest part of the ENTIRE process (i think only going to the post office to mail the paperwork was easier).

they stamp your passport, and go through your luggage. i'm not sure if it's the same for airports, but for the bus, we needed to make an inventory of everything we were bringing with us, and it impressed them that we actually did it ... they said that most people don't do it.

good luck!!

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

My POE - Detroit, MI

1. Why are you entering the United States?

- To marry my American fiance on July 31

2. She did not ask for any paperwork. I happily offloaded the sealed envelope and showed her the page in my passport that had the K1 visa. She flipped through the stack quickly then told me to follow her to a room nearby. Waited 15 mins before another officer called my name, asked me the same question as the first officer, drew a line across my K1 visa and stamped my I-94 and passport.

3. The I-94 was stapled on the page facing my K1 visa.

I spent less than 45 minutes waiting in line and clearing the question-and-answer part. Very smooth and efficient. The airport staff were also very kind to me. I was approached by three of them who offered to help me with my luggage. :)

Edited by Ephesia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.