amyandluis

Denverites, or anyone else interested

10 posts in this topic

So here's the story.

Our AOS interview is here in Denver this coming Friday and because of the timing (a bit earlier than we expected), we're just a little bit scrambly and nervous.

We wanted to have a traditional engagement and wedding setup, although since we're in this whole immigration thing we had to compromise. We got engaged last June, Luis came here in September on the

K-1 Visa. We were married legally at the courthouse, low profile just like we wanted two weeks later. Thing is, NOW we're planning a wedding. The date is May 20, with a chapel and bridesmaids and family from Mexico and the whole nine. So we have no wedding PICTURES or anything, but I have a big old wedding folder of confirmed reservations and contracts. Should I just bring that and explain the situation? Think we'll have any trouble?

Also, any Denver folks, say hey... I think I read there's a few other couples headed to the office around the same time (this week I think?). If you're getting ready, well best of luck to you, and if you've already been, any tips???

Thanks gang!

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Amy and Luis

I-129F VAMONOS mi amorcito :)

Feb 10, 2005 - I-129F package sent to TSC (Day 1 - sigh)

March 7 - NOA2 date (never received NOA1?!?!) (Day 25)

March 21 - NVC sent package to Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (WOW this is going fast... Day 39)

April 24 - Package 3 received (by USC)!!!!! (Day 73)

May 13 - Package 3 received (by Mexican fiance) (Day 92)

June 1 - ENGAGED OFFICIALLY!!!!

Aug 1 - Arrived in Juarez for a romantic rendezvous complete with wine, soft music and the American consulate

Aug 4 - VISA IN HAND!!!!

Sep 2 - POE at McAllen Texas

Sep 14 - applied for SSN

Sept 23 - SSN in hand

Sept 26 - Legally married at the county clerk's office in Denver

Nov 22 - Sent AOS Packet to Chicago Lockbox

Dec 1 - NOA date for AOS, EAD and AP (received Dec 5)

Dec 21 - Walk in biometrics in Aurora, CO (thanks to a worker who was in a REALLY good mood :))

Jan 5, 2006 - Received online approval of EAD

Jan 11 - EAD arrived in mail!

Jan 13 - Luis receives his driver´s license

Feb 8 - AP approved, received interview appt.

Mar 10 - AOS interview! Everything fine, just waiting an FBI check to finish up

Mar 25 - Welcome to America letter!!!

Apr 1 - GREENCARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!

May 20 2006 - WEDDING!

Off we go again... 2008

Jan 12 - I-751 completed and sent to Nebraska Service Center

Jan 14 - date of NOA

Jan 24 - received NOA, case has been transferred to California

Jan 28 - NOA number 2 date, biometrics set

Feb 14 - Biometrics DONE, (how romantic)

Apr 8 - APPROVED!!

The last big push - N400 Naturalization

Apr 17 - Biometrics

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Wedding pictures are not a requirement. Nor is a traditional wedding ceremony and celebration. If you want, you can bring some receipts showing you have reserved the place for your reception, etc. -- choose a few documents from your big planning binder. IMO there is no need to bring the whole thing.

More important than the wedding reception is evidence that shows you have comingled your finances. Joint bank accounts, joint taxes if you've filed for 2005 already, joint credit cards, both names on your lease/deed/mortgage, joint ownership/debts, beneficiary of each other's retirement accounts, joint insurance policies, etc.

Also bring pictures of the two of you together with your family and/or friends. You can bring pics from the civil ceremony day if you took some. Also Christmas cards or other correspondence addressed to both of you, with the postmarked envelopes, if you kept them.

Good luck, the interview will probably be anti-climactic after all this anticipation!

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

We were married in Vegas with just the 2 of us. No problem at the interview.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Had no problems in Denver. He didn't even open the envelope containing our pictures, all he was interested was in the folder containing proof of relationship. I have posted details earlier, if you want search for 'Denver' or 'Freezing in Denver.' Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Our AOS went smoothly.

What they specifically asked for from us:

Copy of and viewing of Marriage Cert

Upto date W2's and job letter

Other proof they asked us for: copy of her on my insurance, life insurance, Apt lease, letters written to the both of us. We had photos, but they didn't request them, so you might not need them, and there is nothing that states that they HAVE to be of wedding... so get together photos would work i'd say, the Vac supplement also. I believe that was all, since they had all other information from original packets (I129F, AOS packet, etc), just I guess checking to see what we had. Took about 20 minutes in total. The waiting was the long hard part in the waiting room. :P

Still, it'd be a good thing to bring what the AOS letter says since this is only what they asked us for.. just giving info to show that it's generally not as hard as people fear by the amounts of paperwork.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

So we had our interview today, and it went 90% smoothly...

For some reason we had to wait a LOOONG time before they called us in... about an hour and a half. There was literally no one left in the waiting room but us, and I started wondering if I had the wrong day, but finally they called us back.

The interviewer was a really nice guy. He first asked us for our ID´s, then just flipped through our application, asking verification questionse every now and again, I think to make sure the stories matched. How did we meet, what was I doing in Texas at the time, etc. Then the ¨are you a terrorist¨ questions for Luis. He DID want copies of all my wedding stuff (contracts with photographers, florists, etc.) and made copies of all our photos. He took copies of our bank statement and insurance stuff, as well as my employment letter, new Affidavit and pay stubs.

He never asked for tax info, and already had Luis´translated birth certificate. Then, get this, he´s asking Luis where in Mexico he´s from, then pulls out a printed up map of Mexico he had just made from an airline website and asked Luis where the good beaches are. So that was a light point.

After 15 minutes, he printed something up and said ¨well guys, your paperwork is all excellent, no problems there, but the FBI check hasn´t cleared yet.¨ So basically what that means is more waiting. He said it could take a while to complete, but it´s a common situation, especially for folks who zip through the process as quickly as we did. I actually just read a post on here from folks in Pittsburgh who ran into the same thing, so we´re certainly not alone. In the meantime the EAD and AP will work just fine.

So the interview is over! Yay Denver!!

Take care and good luck folks,

amyandluis

I-129F VAMONOS mi amorcito :)

Feb 10, 2005 - I-129F package sent to TSC (Day 1 - sigh)

March 7 - NOA2 date (never received NOA1?!?!) (Day 25)

March 21 - NVC sent package to Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (WOW this is going fast... Day 39)

April 24 - Package 3 received (by USC)!!!!! (Day 73)

May 13 - Package 3 received (by Mexican fiance) (Day 92)

June 1 - ENGAGED OFFICIALLY!!!!

Aug 1 - Arrived in Juarez for a romantic rendezvous complete with wine, soft music and the American consulate

Aug 4 - VISA IN HAND!!!!

Sep 2 - POE at McAllen Texas

Sep 14 - applied for SSN

Sept 23 - SSN in hand

Sept 26 - Legally married at the county clerk's office in Denver

Nov 22 - Sent AOS Packet to Chicago Lockbox

Dec 1 - NOA date for AOS, EAD and AP (received Dec 5)

Dec 21 - Walk in biometrics in Aurora, CO (thanks to a worker who was in a REALLY good mood :))

Jan 5, 2006 - Received online approval of EAD

Jan 11 - EAD arrived in mail!

Jan 13 - Luis receives his driver´s license

Feb 8 - AP approved, received interview appt.

Mar 10 - AOS interview! Everything fine, just waiting an FBI check to finish up

Mar 25 - Welcome to America letter!!!

Apr 1 - GREENCARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!

May 20 2006 - WEDDING!

Off we go again... 2008

Jan 12 - I-751 completed and sent to Nebraska Service Center

Jan 14 - date of NOA

Jan 24 - received NOA, case has been transferred to California

Jan 28 - NOA number 2 date, biometrics set

Feb 14 - Biometrics DONE, (how romantic)

Apr 8 - APPROVED!!

The last big push - N400 Naturalization

Apr 17 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations!

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think you had the same guy we did - very nice and quite thorough. Congrats - Now you have to wait a few weeks like we are waiting too. :lol:

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.