Henia

How to get my kids citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey all, I have a question regarding reporting a birth aboard. I have 4, 3 of which was born in my husband's native country. I immigrated to the US when I was young (3) I had legal residence but didn't get my citizenship until 2007 (due to my stupidity and laziness) I've contacted my local US consular office, asking if my children qualify for US citizenship but only got a short and little sarcastic reply ... telling they may or may not qualify and that I should file, pay the fee and wait to see. Well I'm not a rich person, the cost for 3 children is really high just to 'wait and see'. Is there anyway to know without having to pay the fee? If I know they qualify, I'm happy to pay, but not willing to throw $900 out the door for a "no" answer.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Assuming your husband is not a US citizen, then it sounds like any kids of yours born after you got citizenship would qualify as you had more than 5 years presence in the USA before that. But more details would be good, such as age of kids,

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Hey all, I have a question regarding reporting a birth aboard. I have 4, 3 of which was born in my husband's native country. I immigrated to the US when I was young (3) I had legal residence but didn't get my citizenship until 2007 (due to my stupidity and laziness) I've contacted my local US consular office, asking if my children qualify for US citizenship but only got a short and little sarcastic reply ... telling they may or may not qualify and that I should file, pay the fee and wait to see. Well I'm not a rich person, the cost for 3 children is really high just to 'wait and see'. Is there anyway to know without having to pay the fee? If I know they qualify, I'm happy to pay, but not willing to throw $900 out the door for a "no" answer.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

The consular office is not giving you a “sarcastic reply” as they can not tell you over the phone if you do or don’t qualify e.g. Documents and such. As for the fees for the CRBA your looking $615 or $705 for the three children not $900

As for qualifying you can read link below and find all the answers it’s simple and straight forward.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/living/living_5497.html

Good Luck

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks everyone! iI've check the link you posted 808lady. what does it mean "proof of presence?" I live in Algeria, my husband's country not the US. But I lived in the US from age 3 to age 26 - went to school there, worked there, etc.

The additional information: My children all were born in my husband's native country; ages: 5 born Sept 2008, going to be 4 born Nov 2009 and almost 2 born March 2012. I immigrated to the US at the age of 3, had legal residency for that time, but due to my laziness and stupidity didn't apply for citizenship until 2006, which was granted in 2007.

Also can anyone tell me about the timeline for filing CRBA? Thank you everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Your kids were all born after you naturalized. Physical presence as a LPR counts, too. Get them a CRBA and you shold be fine.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.