trbasat

Two birth certificates?!

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! My fiancée and I are in the final stepts of finishing our K1 package and so far everything is going well (thanks to this website!! biggrin.png).

However one thing that throws me off is that she told me yesterday that she has TWO birth certificates? She was born in the US and both her parents were born and raised in the USA so she has no direct immigration background.

She said one is longer but only has stuff on the front and the other has stuff on the front AND back. And apparently one says "Department of Health" on top. Does anybody know which one to use? Or can we just send in copies of both and it wouldn't cause USCIS to get confused?

Edited by trbasat

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If she has a US birth certificate, she is a US citizen no matter where she was raised, apply for a US passport and you are done.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Well yeah I am aware of that! And what do you mean with applying for a US passport? We haven't even filed for anything yet. Just to clear things up she is the USC and I'm the beneficiary (I am German, therefore no USC)

So just send in copies of both birth certificates of her inside my k1-package?

Nopes just the US Birth Certificate is required nothing else.

K-1 Timeline

Click Here to see our complete Timeline!

14 November 2013 - Sent I-129F Package

18 November 2013 - NOA1 (4 days after sending package)

21 November 2013 - Recieved Text and E-mail with Case Number NOA1

25 November 2013 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy in Mail

25 November 2013 - Alien Registration Number Changed

14 January 2014 - NOA2 (54 days after NOA1)

17 January 2014 - USCIS Shipped to NVC

29th January 2014 - NVC Recieved and assigned Case #

4th February 2014 - Abu Dhabi Embassy Recieved our case and the status is now "READY" for interview

24th September 2014 - Interview date - FINGERS CROSSED!

Well the problem is she has TWO(!) birth certificates. They both state the same place and date and as I mentioned in the initial post one is really large and just has a front page and nothing on the back. The other one has a front and back. We just don't know which one we should sent...

US birth certificates are issued by local authorities so they all look different. You can't ask which one is right based on a description of "stuff on front or back" or not.

You both will need to determine which one is the official one. She should contact the authorities in her place of birth and ask them about the BCs they issue.

It's possible one is a novelty, or that one is long-form or short-form (which is unusual in the US, but I suppose possible). The issuing authority will be able to answer that, on the phone.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Okay thank you! Would just sending in copies of both work as well? I'm just asking because we are pretty much done and she has a lot of stuff to do this week so if we could save time that'd be great.
If you guys think it could be a problem though we're gonna have to figure it out the hard way I guess.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.