J&D2012

Urgent advice needed - Applied for work while waiting for EAD

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Everyone, good day to all. I need some urgent advice.

I went ahead to apply for a couple of jobs while waiting for my EAD... and lo and behold, I received a job interview scheduled for tomorrow.

Should I go for the job interview? The HR did asked me to bring my work permit along and I am in a dilemma now.

Please help.

Thank you

Timeline for Adjustment of Status from K1 visa

08/12/2013 -> Send off AOS, EAD and AP package via USPS

08/13/2013 -> Check were cashed

08/14/2013 -> USCIS received package

08/20/2013 -> Receipt confirmation via text and email

08/24/2013 -> Received NOA1 hard copies via mail

08/29/2013 -> Received biometrics appointment schedule for 9/16 @ 11am

09/16/2013 -> Walk-in for biometrics

10/01/2013 -> Received text that I-485 is now under Testing and Interview

10/11/2013 -> Received text/email notification of EAD+AP in production and to allow 30 days for my combo card to be mailed to me.

10/22/2013 -> Received text/email notification that EAD+AP card has been mailed out.

10/24/2013 -> Received EAD+AP in the mail

02/12/2014 -> AOS interview at the Denver office -> Approved

02/20/2014 -> Received GC in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you cannot,I repeat you CANNOT work until you receive work authorization, no exceptions. How can you bring a work permit if you don't have one?

Timeline

Hi mimolicious, I have wrote back to the HR to let her know that I am still waiting on my work permit. I guess I will just be patient and wait.

10/11/2013 -> Received text/email notification of EAD+AP in production and to allow 30 days for my combo card to be mailed to me.

10/22/2013 -> Received text/email notification that EAD+AP card has been mailed out.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My advice would be to either write or speak with the people interviewing you for work explain your position and be up front and honest with them.Use your situation to your advantage, let them know you feel you would be an ideal candidate to fulfill there position however they will have to wait for your EAD approval. Show them the paper work as proof. Let them know the patience, journey and dedication you have already shown to be in the position you are in.

Unless of course it is illegal to even look for work and make application (I am not sure about this). In which case withdraw your application.

Timeline

Hi stephen&kimmy, I have heard of the long hiring process in United States so I was surprised that the company contacted me within a week of applying.

I just went for my biometrics on Sept 16th so hoping to get my EAD by Oct or Nov. I have explained in my email to the HR so I am just waiting on her reply.

Thank you for your advice and good luck to me.

Filed: Timeline

You can apply for work and interview for a job all you want. But no company will let you work until you get your EAD. So what you should be worried about is if they offer you a job starting soon, will you tell them wait?

Edited by newacct

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was in the same boat. I ended up being offered the job even though they knew I was waiting for my EAD and were prepared to wait. Interestingly, I received a call from HR saying after studying their forms, they believed I could start work before my EAD was physically in my hand, something that the USCIS backed up when I phoned them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I was in the same boat. I ended up being offered the job even though they knew I was waiting for my EAD and were prepared to wait. Interestingly, I received a call from HR saying after studying their forms, they believed I could start work before my EAD was physically in my hand, something that the USCIS backed up when I phoned them.

Could you please expound on this? Is it that they called USCIS and they told them that you were approved but you just had to wait for the actual EAD card in the mail? Or is this something about the whole AOS process that isn't outlined?

I am going to a small town where the life of the city is the University, and I would really like to apply for jobs and get one before their graduation in May so I don't have to compete with their new graduates (as I am a new graduate as well). But it may end up that I get my EAD April-May since my wedding will be in January.

engaged happy.png - February 2013

129F NOA1 receipt date- March 11, 2013 (NOA1 sent March 13, 2013)

Touched - Name spelling correction - March 20, 2013

Transferred to TSC - July 10, 2013

NOA2 - July 23 smile.png

Shipped to NVC - August 15

NVC Received - August 22

Auckland Consulate Received- August 28

Packet 3 Received - September 7

Medical - September 9

Packet 3 Sent - September 9

Packet 4 Received - Sept 11

Interview - Sept 19

Visa received - Sept 26

POE - 25 December luv.gif

Wedding - 11 January heart.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can't really expand I'm afraid. It's pretty much as I put in my post. My EAD application was in progress, I had a call out if the blue one day from HR at the new job saying they had reviewed all the paperwork that I had to fill out when I started, and they were confident that I could legally start work. I was unsure so started a post here and asked what you've basically asked. I was told here I couldn't work till I had my EAD in my hand. In the meantime, my wife phoned the SSA who said it was up to immigration. I phoned USCIS who told me I could work if my employer was happy. I told them I didn't yet have my EAD and they were adamant it was my employers call. It seems like most things in this process, you get different answers depending on who you speak to LOL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.