badboy111611

can i get citizenship

15 posts in this topic

ok so i came over on a k1 visa and got married and we have been married for a year and i have lived with her the whole time but now she wants a divorce but she said she would wait til i have my citizenship to before she divorces me so my question is if we remain married and living together will immigration consider us to be lying about our marriage and deport me becuase the marriage is no longer like it was. would it be better to get a divorce and wait 5 years or could i just remain married and living with her til i get my citizenship because when we got married it was the real deal and we were going to spend our life together but she grew apart from me =/ so i didnt get married just to get a green card or citizenship

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

that sound kind of complicated but this issue between you and your wife my suggestion is you have to be stay married like 3 years then you can divorce and you can get citizenship all i know

Normally, you can obtain citizenship after 3 years of being married.

That being said, you can remain on your green card if you prove that even though you are no longer together, your mariage was bona fide and was not related to immigration. Basically, when you file for removal of conditions, you should ask for a waiver and explain what has happened and why you are not filing together.

That being said, citizenship takes 5 years to obtain in the US if you are not married to a US citizen. So if you decide to take this route, it would take 5 years instead of 3.

Spoiler

CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London:

July 01, 2013 Married in Wolfeboro, NH (before returning to U.K.)

July 10, 2013 I-130 sent

July 12, 2013 Notice of Receipt (NOA1)

July 22, 2013 NOA2 approved (10 days)

August 8, 2013 Packet 3 sent but never received.

August 15, 2013 Received case number after enquiry. Booked medical and sent packet 3 forms.

August 31, 2013 Medical

Sept 18, 2013 Packet 3 forms logged into the system

Sept 24, 2013 Packet 4 received (dated September 19)

October 4, 2013 Interview *approved*

October 9, 2013 Passport received

November 12, 2013 POE Los Angeles

November 22, 2013 Social Security Number received

December 20, 2013 Green Card received.

Removal of Conditions:

September 4, 2015 I-751 sent

September 8, 2015 NOA

October 8, 2015 Biometrics

April 22, 2016 Approved

N-400 Naturalization Application:

July 5, 2018 N-400 filed (online)

July 7, 2018 Biometrics appointment letter mailed

July 23, 2018 Biometrics Appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

pretty much a straight forward definition of immigration fraud... tread carefully

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If the marriage is over you don't need to, and should not stay with your wife to remove conditions or get citizenship. Doing that will bring you more problems in the long run than necessary.

File for divorce, and as soon as it is granted submit your paperwork to remove conditons with a waiver. If your wife wants to help you she can help to put together information showing that you two had a bonified marriage that just did not work out. She can even write an affidavit swearing to that as well and that she supports your efforts to live as a permanent resident and eventually a US citizen.

After you get the conditions removed, wait until you've been a resident for at least 5 years and then apply for citizenship based on qualifying residence if you want to become a USC.

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

ok so can i file the removal of conditions and the waiver even if we are still married? or do we HAVE to be divorced to file the waiver

Timeline

ok so can i file the removal of conditions and the waiver even if we are still married? or do we HAVE to be divorced to file the waiver

In your case, have to get divorced first. Better you get the ball rolling on it now, because if you wait you'll end up complicating matters worse if the final decree doesn't come through before you HAVE to file to remove conditions.

Edited by Jamericanlove

NATURALIZATION

DONE!

so what would happen if i was in the process of the divorce but it wasnt complete by the time i have to file to remove conditions

Timeline

so what would happen if i was in the process of the divorce but it wasnt complete by the time i have to file to remove conditions

They'll send you an RFE and give you a specified amount of time to produce the divorce decree. That is why it is important that you begin the process as soon as possible. Sounds like you will have an amicable divorce and you don't have any children so it will not take long. Once you have the final decree in hand you can immediately file to remove conditions with a waiver.

NATURALIZATION

DONE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can still remove the condition based on bona fide marriage.

If I was in your situation I would go 5 year route…. Other one is immigration fraud.

Timeline

You can still remove the condition based on bona fide marriage.

This is poor advice in my opinion (if you are suggesting they file jointly to remove conditions that is, if you aren't then ignore the writing below).

The OP said they have been married and living with their wife for only a year which means that if they plan to stay married to the end of the process they have one more year to wait to apply to remove conditions, and at least another year after that to be able to apply for citizenship (which as you said would be a very bad idea).

Assuming they are both carrying on with their lives now that they are emotionally separated, what happens if the wife ends up getting pregnant by someone else during that time, or the OP gets someone he's involved with pregnant? It will look very bad and raise many eyebrows at USCIS.

Also, the Op and his wife are on good terms at the moment but that could always change at any minute.

There is abolutely no need to pretent to still be in a marriage if you already know a year into it that you want a divorce. It is much safer to go forward with the divorce and use the ROC waiver to show that the marriage was entered into good faith but it didn't work out.

Things could potentially be different if the window to remove conditions was already here, but with another year to go it doesn't make too much sense to go that route as no one knows what the future holds.

Edited by Jamericanlove

NATURALIZATION

DONE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is poor advice in my opinion (if you are suggesting they file jointly to remove conditions that is, if you aren't then ignore the writing below).

The OP said they have been married and living with their wife for only a year which means that if they plan to stay married to the end of the process they have one more year to wait to apply to remove conditions, and at least another year after that to be able to apply for citizenship (which as you said would be a very bad idea).

Assuming they are both carrying on with their lives now that they are emotionally separated, what happens if the wife ends up getting pregnant by someone else during that time, or the OP gets someone he's involved with pregnant? It will look very bad and raise many eyebrows at USCIS.

Also, the Op and his wife are on good terms at the moment but that could always change at any minute.

There is abolutely no need to pretent to still be in a marriage if you already know a year into it that you want a divorce. It is much safer to go forward with the divorce and use the ROC waiver to show that the marriage was entered into good faith but it didn't work out.

Things could potentially be different if the window to remove conditions was already here, but with another year to go it doesn't make too much sense to go that route as no one knows what the future holds.

He can divorce now and file for ROC when his 2 years come by.

They do not need to stay in fake marriage just for him to remove the condition and get his citizenship.

Thats reason he would have to go thru 5 yr process to get his citizenship not 3 yr, which is exactly what I said in earlier post.

ok so i came over on a k1 visa and got married and we have been married for a year and i have lived with her the whole time but now she wants a divorce but she said she would wait til i have my citizenship to before she divorces me so my question is if we remain married and living together will immigration consider us to be lying about our marriage and deport me becuase the marriage is no longer like it was. would it be better to get a divorce and wait 5 years or could i just remain married and living with her til i get my citizenship because when we got married it was the real deal and we were going to spend our life together but she grew apart from me =/ so i didnt get married just to get a green card or citizenship

Much better to do the divorce and wait 5 years, at least you know you don't fool anybody.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.