Arazia

Put my mind at ease please?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

First, some background details:

My fiancee is from the Netherlands. He is 19 (will be 20 in February). We applied for the K-1 in September. I live in the state of Illinois where the marriage age is 18. The minimum marriage age in the Netherlands is also 18.

Now, some people from the Netherlands forums might have been following what has been going on, but I'll fill in the rest for the sake of not leaving things out... He told his parents about this not long ago. They -seemed- fine with it. Seemed is the important word. Since then, things have gone downhill. His father has consulted a lawyer who is telling him that he needs parental consent if under the age of 22. He claims it only applies to getting married to a non-American.

I haven't been able to find any documentary evidence that supports this fact. The I-129F says you have to prove you are 'of age' in the jurisidiction you are to be married in.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone has heard of anything like this? Otherwise I'd like to hear people call 'bs' on this one so it sets my mind at ease...

Thanks.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Arazia:

How about contacting the Dutch Consulate in Houston or Miami?

Here is a web page full of different numbers and contacts; may be able to find information or an attorney familiar with Dutch law there. :thumbs: hope it helps!

http://www.nlconsulatehouston.org/

Sorry you are still having problems :(

PS I am getting so excited-ONE day left until Mark gets here!

ETA I will ask Mark about that law, maybe he has heard of it-personally I ***THINK*** it's BS.

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Timeline
Arazia:

Here is a web page full of different numbers and contacts; may be able to find information or an attorney familiar with Dutch law there. :thumbs: hope it helps!

ETA I will ask Mark about that law, maybe he has heard of it-personally I ***THINK*** it's BS.

Thanks for the link. I passed it on to Harry.

His father is claiming that it is a U.S. law though. (My bad for not being as specific in that case.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can't offer much help other than send you my best wishes and hope that that is in fact bs.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When you say that law applies to non-americans, does that mean you yourself are not american? or was that a mistype and you meant non-netherlandian?

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 They sent I-129F back saying form is outdated

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Nov 28, 2006 NOA2 approved

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 7, 2006 NVC sends letter saying it will be forwarded to manila in a week

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! Cant kick her out now!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

Timeline
When you say that law applies to non-americans, does that mean you yourself are not american? or was that a mistype and you meant non-netherlandian?

His father is claiming it is a U.S. law that applies to U.S. citizens marrying non-U.S. Citizens (people without a U.S. passport).

Timeline
Arazia:

Thanks for the link. I passed it on to Harry.

His father is claiming that it is a U.S. law though. (My bad for not being as specific in that case.)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- " an American Law"? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I still am smelling BS. Hmmm, maybe worth a call to an immigration attorney? What is his Dad's grounds for saying that Harry ( who has reached the age of majority), has to have parental permission?

Hang on in there. :thumbs:

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
IMO, he should be the one doing the research to find this law to prove it to you, not the other way around!

It's BS... The age of majority in the US is 18.. no parental consent is required in any state for marriage after the age of 18 either a USC or a non-USC...

If I were you, you and your fiancee should have a good talk about what his objections are... it looks like he may feel that you are too young to make such a big commitment... which may not be unfounded... His question to you may be "What's the rush?"

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Something JUST hit me----

It's a guess here, ok?

Do you think someone is misinterpreting American " ages of majority"?

What I mean is that in some states ( regarding SOME THINGS) a person is not classed as a legal adult until 21?

Do you think that's what the dad is getting at? I really don't know if that affects marriage in Illinois. Honestly, I would spring afew dollars and ask an attorney if you cannot find an answer to put your mind at rest :)

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Timeline
Something JUST hit me----

It's a guess here, ok?

Do you think someone is misinterpreting American " ages of majority"?

What I mean is that in some states ( regarding SOME THINGS) a person is not classed as a legal adult until 21?

Do you think that's what the dad is getting at? I really don't know if that affects marriage in Illinois. Honestly, I would spring afew dollars and ask an attorney if you cannot find an answer to put your mind at rest :)

Yeah, Mississipi has an age of consent for marriage at 21, and Nebraska is 19, but those are the only two states that it isn't 18. I was thinking about that as well, but the number of '22' seemed strange. I just love having things like this sprung on me by disgruntled parents *sarcasm*

Filed: Timeline

I just asked my cousin... (he is a federal court judge). He said no perental consent is required for a person aged over 18 years anywhere within the USA and as long as the other person is of legal age to marry in their own country then their marriage would be valid...

So I would tell you future father-in-law that he is full of BS......

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I concur with what everyone else has been saying. According to everything I've read, if you are of legal age to marry in the jurisdiction in which you live, and he is of legal age to marry in the jurisdiction in which he lives, and he's of legal age in the jurisdiction in which you live and plan to marry, then you're good to go. Why would it matter if he's a non-US citizen or not? If he were American, he could go down to any courthouse in the US and get a marriage license. So, because he's not American, he has a different age requirement? That sounds very fishy to me. If that's the case, a lot of other petitioners on here would be turned down. There are lots of couples on VJ where there's a non-USC who is 20 or under.

Good luck on getting this straightened out!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
That's ridiculous.

Marriage laws are governed by the states and not the Federal government.

Have Harry ask his Dad what he's been smoking.... :bonk:

Oh......tmma................WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better question is what his /lawyer/ has been smoking.

Anyhow, I am glad to see that he is indeed wrong. I mean, he himself said he was only trying to help. >.> I think he pays his lawyer too much money.

av-25437.jpg <--- I'm with her

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.