Aus2Usa2012

"Heads Up!" for K1's applying for AOS I-485

6 posts in this topic

Just a heads ups for Aussies (or anyone really) applying for AOS I-485.

I applied for AOS in march this year, supplied ALL paper work listed on the instruction pages on USCIS and also matched it to many other lists found here on VJ.

I received my NOA1, had prints / photo taken, received AP/EAD and had no other correspondence since. I login at least once a week to USCIS webpage to check on my application (which is still to this day listed in acceptance stage). So Ive have simply sitting back waiting to here form them. As we all know, we just have to Wait wait wait...

WRONG!!

I received a Notice of intent to Deny...

No RFE by mail, email, or even on website, as i said it still says even now in Acceptance stage.

2 Reasons for NOID where:

1. They requested Proof that my US wife is a US citizen...????? ( She is the one that sponsored me in on my K1 visa) and nowhere is it listed in AOS instructions says to provided proof that US sponsor is a US citizen.

2. The Famous I-693 form.

Even thought I entered on a K1, and it say on the instructions a I-693 is not required if applying within the 12months from your Home country USCIS approved medical.

(Unless your vaccinations where incomplete and then Part 1 part 3 and vaccination section must be done by a civil surgeon in the US)

All my Vaccinations Where COMPLETE or NOT AGE APPROPRIATE I even asked to doctor this when I had the medical done. He gave me a copy of Vacc. Document and told me to include it in my application for AOS.

Even though its not list instructions for AOS package on USCIS webpage...its is listed here on many VJ discussion pages (and as we all know that this is always the best place to find out whats is really needed and going on) as a VERY good idea to included it, which I agreed with and I did included it.

But ... it wasn't enough or whatever the reason was...

So...after calling USCIS and sitting on hold for 72 mins I was told that they couldn't access my FULL File and couldn't tell me why or what was happening.

She did agree with me that I DIDN'T need to prove that my US(wife/sponsor) was a US Citizen and I DIDN'T need to include the parts of the I-693 form they requested.

But said to supply the information as requested, because I only have 30 days from the posted date of the NOID or risk being denied and therefore having to reapply for AOS and also PAY the fee AGAIN!!!

So I found a civil surgeon and made a appointment... the Doctor was confused by the letter as well because the Vaccination Doc. I had from my K1 medical was FULLY COMPLETE. So he simply look over the VACC. Document and other paperwork I had from having the Vaccinations back in Australia and he simply rewrote / copied the same information from my form the to the new I-693. Oh and charged me $50.00

I sent it and a copy of wife's birth cert. and copy of her US passport. A cover letter and a request for to confirm they had received the package so I/we don't have to sit around worrying about it.

Haven't heard anything...yet.

So maybe its a good idea to include both the proof of wife /husband US Citizenship and have to parts on the I-693 in your AOS application so this doesn't happen to you...

and maybe someone here can add this to the AOS package information page here on VJ.

Sorry for the long post but as I said Just a" HEADS UP!"

Cheers and good luck everyone...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

wow , i just sent mine last week . I think i may have photo copied my husbands passport for ID just in case.

Sounds like i might get a RFR for the medical then, immigration can be so picky. Weird how they just send you intent to deny not a RFE.

This hole process has been a headache

Adjustment of status after K1 visa ClockWatch2.gif

2013-08-12 (Day 1 ) - Sent my Aos package for work permit and green Card

2013-08-20 (DAY 8) Noa1 received via Text around 11pm, next day was email. Received my case numbers

2013-08-23 (Day 11)- received hard copy in mail for Noa1 gc , Work permit

2013-08-30 (Day 18) Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

2013-09-17 (Day 25) biometrics appointment day @2pm Detriot

2013-09-25 (Day 33) received text and email , I485 changed to testing and interview

2013-10-02 (Day 40) received text message and email @7am about my interview date

2013-10-04 (Day 42) Received hard copy interview letter in the mail

2013-10-10 (Day 48) Work permit Card in production

2013-10-16 (Day 54) 2nd Text and email @830am Work permit in Production

2013-10-21 (Day 59) text/email notice 10am . Work Permit sent

2013-10-21(Day 59)Text/ email @9pm received text with tracking number -2 day delievery

2013-10-24(Day 62) received my work permit in the mail.

2013-10-25 Filled for my Social Security number today

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Interview November 5th (1.40pm)...... APPROVED!! kicking.gif

2013-11-05(Day 74) Text and Email - Green card in Production @2.30pm

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Text and email @8.15pm Mailed notice that i am a registered permanent resident

2013-11-07 (Day 76) 2nd Text and email @11.30am - green card in production

2013-11-09 (Day 78) Welcome letter received - WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

2013-11-12 (Day 81) - Received text and email - Green card sent @1.15pm

2013-11-12 (Day 81) @9pm received text and email - with UPS tracking number - For Green card

2013-11-15 (Day 84) Green card Received dancin5hr.gif

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

I am in then same boat...I applied 10 months ago and my status is stil at recieved. I got my EAD and have done biometrics months ago. I included a copy of my wife's passport (every page) and I-693 with all boxes checked complete or not age approproiate. I hope this is OK.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

We also got an RFE for an I-693 vaccination form, despite having the vaccinations done as part of the K-1 physical. Thankfully for our stress levels, no NOID in our case (so far). We filed last October and are still waiting... hope your wait is shorter.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I got thrown a curve ball by the IO at our AOS interview. The IO said that I (USC) needed to provide a Form G-325A, and with the stern instruction that I had to sign it in the IO's presence. This would be in addition to the one my wife submitted with her AOS packet, and the initial one I had sent with the original I-129F petition. Thankfully, it was easy to comply with this odd request.

BTW, I took color laser copies of ALL pages of my wife's, stepson's, and my passports to the AOS interview. The IO asked for our passports, and was going to go make copies, just left him with all three copies. Shower them with paper, that is what feeds the bureaucracy.

Just like Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over, 'til it's over!"

Hang in there!! After AOS approval, the 21-month hiatus from all of the USCIS shenanigans will be well worth it! yes.gif

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow. Now I am getting worried - I don't think I sent in a copy of my husband's birth certificate or passport. I did send the complete medical stuff, though.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.