B_J

Baseball player killed in Oklahoma

152 posts in this topic

There is nothing wrong with saying he's mixed. If he is, he is.

How do you know? Is there a link where some entity like the NAACP "approved" the term "mixed"?

This caused me to pause for a moment & ask myself...am I "Mixed" or am I "German American"..?

I suppose ...the correct answer is both.

(but) If I was ever on the news and someone referred to me as "mixed"...quite frankly...I think that would cause me to do the back & forth sideways over my shoulder point at my chest maneuver and say..."Who? Me? ...I'm not mixed...I'm American."

(and) Following that line of thinking = The overwhelming majority of US citizens are "mixed"...including our POTUS yet...he is always referred to as "The First Black POTUS"...& ..that's not true. He is indeed mixed and that doesn't make him unique at all. Quite ordinary.

(and) Then I recall...a movie - "Gangs of New York"...& the conflict between the "true" Americans & the Immigrants. The reason they considered themselves "true" coz they were born on US soil...which with that logic = kills my mixed German American profile claim coz I too was born on US soil.

So.. surely I'm not the 1st to face this quandary ....& that makes me think "mixed" only refers to people of color (for some reason white is only a color in crayon boxes)...& no whites allowed. I suddenly feel... discriminated against.

Regardless - I assume that is you in your profile pic. Correct me if I am wrong but I guess you are of African descent & a person of color...I'm curious...does that make you an authority regarding the PC use of the term mixed? Is that correct? & why?

I have a friend ...his Mother is Black & his Father is White.. I've never referred to him as my "mixed" friend...I just call him Gary.

(I watched way too much Andy Rooney growing up)

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Like most people of European ancestry, you are a barbarian.

smile.png Hello Bill. Long time no see.

I suppose that's kinda cool. We did a trace & found our family name derived from the northern border of Germany and most likely intermarried with Viking ancestors. Vikings are cool barbarians. So I'm Okay with that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How do you know? Is there a link where some entity like the NAACP "approved" the term "mixed"?

This caused me to pause for a moment & ask myself...am I "Mixed" or am I "German American"..?

I suppose ...the correct answer is both.

(but) If I was ever on the news and someone referred to me as "mixed"...quite frankly...I think that would cause me to do the back & forth sideways over my shoulder point at my chest maneuver and say..."Who? Me? ...I'm not mixed...I'm American."

(and) Following that line of thinking = The overwhelming majority of US citizens are "mixed"...including our POTUS yet...he is always referred to as "The First Black POTUS"...& ..that's not true. He is indeed mixed and that doesn't make him unique at all. Quite ordinary.

(and) Then I recall...a movie - "Gangs of New York"...& the conflict between the "true" Americans & the Immigrants. The reason they considered themselves "true" coz they were born on US soil...which with that logic = kills my mixed German American profile claim coz I too was born on US soil.

So.. surely I'm not the 1st to face this quandary ....& that makes me think "mixed" only refers to people of color (for some reason white is only a color in crayon boxes)...& no whites allowed. I suddenly feel... discriminated against.

Regardless - I assume that is you in your profile pic. Correct me if I am wrong but I guess you are of African descent & a person of color...I'm curious...does that make you an authority regarding the PC use of the term mixed? Is that correct? & why?

I have a friend ...his Mother is Black & his Father is White.. I've never referred to him as my "mixed" friend...I just call him Gary.

(I watched way too much Andy Rooney growing up)

That was a whole lot of writing for not a whole lot. I leaned about context today and I wanted to use it.

That was a whole lot of writing for not a whole lot.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I enjoyed writing it & that's more important to me than your weak attempt at insulting and minimizing my pov and ponderings.

I leaned about context today and I wanted to use it.

Well...glad to see you are practicing your big boy big girl words. Grab yourself a glass of Milk & some Cookies as a reward. You get a star_smile.gif for effort and a star_smile.gif ...wait....you asked if it's Okay to use the term "mixed" when referring to some1 of mixed racial appearance....I think some1 needs another class on feigned naïveté, building points with Black people by pretending to be racially "sensitive" & PC buzz words used by progressives. Very disappointing. Very disappointing.

ETA: & btw...I wasn't posting in your direction ...believe it or not...it appears ...The "Black man" knows how to "read & write"...Why don't you let him answer for himself.

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I enjoyed writing it & that's more important to me than your weak attempt at insulting and minimizing my pov and ponderings.

I suppose that is what matters. Fwiw, I did really like gangs of New York and I appreciate the ref.

As for the rest, relax man, I'm sure we can be the best of friends.

Edited by GandD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I figured this was coming:

'Senseless' shooting of Australian Chris Lane sparks calls for boycott of U.S.

CNN) -- They were younger than he was, just teenagers who were driving around, apparently bored and looking for somebody to kill, according to police in Duncan, Oklahoma.

The indiscriminate shooting of Christopher Lane, a 23-year-old Australian who was living his dream of studying in the United States on a baseball scholarship, has repulsed many in his home country and led to calls for Australian tourists to boycott the United States.

"It is another example of murder mayhem on Main Street," former Australian deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer told CNN's Piers Morgan.

"People thinking of going to the USA for business or tourist trips should think carefully about it given the statistical fact you are 15 times more likely to be shot dead in the USA than in Australia per capita per million people."

<snip>

Source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/21/justice/australia-student-killed-oklahoma/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

What would you expect the Australian prime minister to say? Nice hyperbole, asking Australians to consider the risks is hardly advocating a boycott.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

On further investigation, I was wrong, Australians are being urged to boycott to send a message. E for effort, although I do understand why he has to be seen to be standing up for his countrymen.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I suppose that is what matters. Fwiw, I did really like gangs of New York and I appreciate the ref.

As for the rest, relax man, I'm sure we can be the best of friends.

Okay. Apology accepted. laughing.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

What would you expect the Australian prime minister to say? Nice hyperbole, asking Australians to consider the risks is hardly advocating a boycott.

For someone with the moniker "The Truth", you sure get things wrong alot. The guy is actually the former PM.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.