darkwingduck

Which way do I go George?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm the citizen living with my fiancé in Adelaide, Australia since February. I left USA from Florida(still have my Florida ID), but I'll be moving back to Louisiana when my visa here runs out at the end of January. Would our case be going through the Vermont or Texas service center? Also, we were considering the K-3 option, but it's looking to be quite unpopular which begs the question, is it worth it? I know it's for married couples. We aren't too particular about where/when the wedding occurs, (we'll probably just hit the registry office here if we go the IR1/CR1 route or Las Vegas if we K1) we'd just like to keep our time apart to a minimum like everybody else on here which is why I'm thinking the K1 is the option for us as they seem to be getting processed marginally faster, even if at a higher cost in the long run.

I'm sorry if this is something I could have sorted through the search function. Stress + sleeplessness + trying to sort this process....not good for the brain.

Also, if we go the IR1/CR1 route, any chance of things being expedited since we'd be filing abroad, even without some crazy family drama I absolutely MUST attend to? Not trying to scam anything, just curious as my fiance tends to panic and get a little pessimistic in a hurry. A glimmer of speedy hope would certainly pad things for her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

All the very best to you, and welcome to the VJ community. My process was very different, so I am sure others will chime in with advice, but whichever way you go, it is a long process which involves a lot of dotting i's and crossing t's, and above all, a lot of careful planning and research. I have also found that nerves of steel have helped!

Don't panic and good luck. The guides on this forum are excellent, so you should definitely pore over them carefully!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey, there is another option called DCF ( Direct Consular Filing ) , DCF procedures state that if a US Citizen lives overseas they may file the I-130 for a foreign spouse , So you can file I-130 petition via a Consulate overseas, rather than through the US Service Center. and to be qualified for DCF , you need to have a permanent residence in Australia for a period of six months prior to submitting your i 130 ! and yes ' dark wing duck ' u r eligible since u have been there since Feb.! So if you marry now and file ur i 130 , your spouse will get her/ his green card even before January wow.gif ! Good luck .

The K3 is basically defunct. No one bothers with it anymore, because the IR/CR-1 is obtained before the K3 ever gets done.

Theoretically, the most expeditious path is the K1. It's historically been faster to obtain than the CR-1. These days, the gaps have closed somewhat so there's less in it, time wise, so you may wish to consider the other benefits more closely. Personally, I think the CR-1 is better.

In terms of other benefits - the CR-1 will certainly be cheaper in the long run. You won't have to do Adjustment of Status after you enter the US and marry (as K1s do, which runs at just over $1000 on it's own). You also get the benefit of an immediate 2 year green card with the CR-1, whereas K1s can't work or leave the US until they've obtained the appropriate paperwork (which takes 2 - 3 months after they marry and file).

There's a comparison page here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Also, in case of confusion - I'm assuming you'll get CR-1, not IR-1, because you're looking for the fastest route. IR-1 (which comes with an immediate 10 year green card) is for couples married 2+ years when they obtain their visa and enter the US. Both CR-1 and K1/AoSers get the 2 year green card and have to remove conditions on their 2 year card 90 days before it expires.

You can spend as much time as you like digging through the data here from VJ on timelines: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/ You'll find stats, historical data and be able to look specifically at folks who filed from your neck of the woods. smile.png

Finally, this is a thread of people living abroad who filed IR/CR-1 and have tried to work out if they've been auto-expedited: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/357465-usc-petitioner-living-abroad/ You might find something useful in there to help you decide.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Thanks for defining the IR/CR deal there Lost. I've been combing VJ for a few days. Thinking that's what caused my brain to implode. The "living abroad" link offers a glimmer of hope. Nobody we know here is much help as the only immigration experience our friends here have dealt with were folks trying to jump from USA to Australia.

There is a chance that you'd get in the "auto-expedite" queue, but it seems slower than before, and no one is really keeping that thread up very well. I'd plan for the worst and hope for the best. Even when it was going well it was not a guaranteed thing.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.