MyLittlePony

At-home 3-D printing could save consumers 'thousands'

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

By Heather Kelly, CNN

Personal 3-D printers may sound like a pricey luxury or a niche product for geeks, but soon they could become a household appliance that saves people thousands of dollars a year.

Researchers at Michigan Technological University conducted a study to find out how much a family might save by printing common objects, such as simple replacement parts or toys, at home instead of buying them in stores or online.

"It was relatively shocking what the return on investment was," said associate professor Joshua Pearce, who led the study. "Realistically, it's in the thousands."

Much of the recent 3-D printer hype has focused on how the technology is going to revolutionize the manufacturing industry or what cool things it can create - human organs, duck feet, see-through hermit crab shells shaped like cities. But it's the small, mundane objects that could have the most immediate impact on wallets. (Especially if you print your own wallet.)

Printing 3-D objects does require a big upfront investment. Current desktop 3-D printers cost between $350 to $2,000. For the study, researchers used a $575 RepRap printer and selected 20 free 3-D designs that were available online.

Their calculations didn't take into account shipping costs or sales tax associated with buying from a retailer. The researchers say they did that to keep the estimates for the study on the conservative end.

"We assumed the average family would only make 20 items a year, which is silly because if you get one of these you'll make 20 items in one weekend," said Pearce.

130501164014-makerbot-replicator-2-c1-maThe MakerBot Replicator 2 is one of the more popular desktop 3-D printers.

After printing all 20 objects, the researchers tallied the cost of plastic and electricity needed to make each and compared it to the low- and high-end versions of the same product from retailers. For example, a shower head costs $2.53 to make on the 3-D printer (3 cents for electricity, $2.50 for plastic). A comparable model costs anywhere from $8 to $437 at a store.

According to the study, the biggest savings were with objects that could be customized, like orthotic insoles for shoes. A custom insole can cost $500 to $800 from a retailer, but someone could create an insole on a 3-D printer for about $2. It does take more skill - and advanced equipment, like a 3-D scanner - to create the custom shape, but once you have the optimal design it's simple to produce multiple copies with no additional effort.

The team printed a variety of doodads for the study, including an iPhone case, garlic press, safety razor, perogi mold and spoon holder. Smaller mass-produced objects saved the least amount of money - a dozen 3-D printed shower rings cost $1.20 to print and $2.99 to purchase from a store. The iPhone 5 case cost 27 cents to print, a huge improvement over the inflated $20 price tags found in Apple Stores and other retailers.

Printing all 20 objects took about 25 hours and cost a grand total of $18 in plastic and electricity. The savings came out to between $294 and $1,926, depending on the quality of the comparable retail products.

Free open-source files are a key part of keeping 3-D printing costs low. There are online databases of designs, like Thingverse, that anyone can download and create with printer at home. If you pay for a 3-D design or invest time in making your own, the cost per object will go up.

Pearce says replacement parts will be a major category for personal 3-D printers. Customization will be another big trend in the future, as people turn to these printers to create things they can't find at a Wal-mart. The types of printable materials will expand as well. Right now you can only print a plastic smartphone case, but in the next year you should be able to print a case with an antenna in it. After that, whole circuit boards for the phone.

And desktop 3-D printers wouldn't just save cash; they could also help save the environment by cutting down on packaging and pollution from transportation.

The technology of 3-D printing has improved in recent years. Higher-end models can be used by anyone with minimal set up and training, and using pre-made files means you don't have to know how to create a 3-D design. Improved software is already making it easier to customize those designs with an easy-to-use interface.

Instead of a 3-D printer in every living room, Pearce can also see local stores setting up 3-D printers. The cost to consumers would be slightly higher, but they wouldn't need to buy a printer - and that paper-towel holder will still be cheaper than a retail model.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

3-D printing will probably be big at some point, but the technology is not there yet. The quality and consistency of molded plastic is still much higher. Molded plastic parts are also ridiculously cheap to produce once you amortize the capital cost of the mold. Of course someone is making a profit, but that happens everywhere. Thoughts on some of the items they suggest printing:

--Safety razor: I'm assuming that they are just talking about the handle and not the blade. Last time I checked, you can get the handles for almost free and have to pay for replacement blades. And metal handles are quite a bit nicer anyways. Get back to me when they can print plastic razor blades.

--insoles: Printed plastic is hard and brittle. This sounds like a really bad idea, even if you overcome the problems of figuring out exactly what size and shape of insole you need.

--Spoon holder: This seems like a fine idea, but I really only need one and they're $5 at Walmart. Walmart may not have the best quality, but printed plastic doesn't usually wow anyone with it's quality.

--I-phone case: Once again, this isn't a terrible idea. However, the quality of your case will be lower and you'll probably be stuck with a monotone unless you really shell out the cash for the printer. Once you've dropped a lot of money on a phone and plan, it's silly to try to save $10 on a case that will look like ####### and be less durable.

--Perogi mold: see spoon holder.

--Garlic press: I've never seen a 3-D printer make a decent hinge, so I'm skeptical.

--Shower rings: You're saving pennies to use some brittle #######.

Basically, how often do you need cheap plastic #######? Even at $350, the only reason to buy this thing is that the stuff you print on it will break constantly and you'll need your own printer to keep replacing it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I smell a big problem for theft of IP for these printable designs.

Think of how much the printer cartridges will cost. No "savings" there.

although it's called a printer - it really is a cutter.

Put in the raw stock and the machine cuts away the material.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

Nope. That is a different process entirely, once called "Numerically Controlled Machining" now called CNC Machining.

3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

"Now that you know what a 3D printer is, you must also understand that 3D printers are not limited to printing in plastic. There are 3D printers that print in wood (a mixture of wood particles and binding agent that dries as wood) ceramic, carbon fiber, bronze, iron, steel, cellulose, human tissue (certain body parts for human transplant are grown using 3D printed frameworks) ... there are limitations to the range of additive manufacturing materials, but the technology is evolving rapidly..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shelly-palmer/3d-printing-is-way-scarie_b_3278507.html

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The Patriot - ah ! ok la - thanks for the splanation..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

These are great to make weapons on...lol

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can use it to create hot buffalo wings for football season

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can use it to create hot buffalo wings for football season

Hard plastic wings. :)

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There are couple diff ones, I have seen one where the material is feed into the printer and they build the product layer by layer.

Prob those are more cost effective as there is less wastage of the material.