steph

teenagers

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

we have just put everything together but still havent sent anything off yet. I have 4 children aged 14 to 19 my 2 oldest are not coming to the us with me and my youngest son is 14 and he is ok about everything. The problem is my 15 year old daughter, she does not want to leave her friends, how do I persuade her to go, she has no adult to stay here with and i am desperate to take her as she will have a better life in the usa. I am worried sick.

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

10/29/2006 packet 3 sent back

11/08/2006 medical

we have just put everything together but still havent sent anything off yet. I have 4 children aged 14 to 19 my 2 oldest are not coming to the us with me and my youngest son is 14 and he is ok about everything. The problem is my 15 year old daughter, she does not want to leave her friends, how do I persuade her to go, she has no adult to stay here with and i am desperate to take her as she will have a better life in the usa. I am worried sick.

doesnt she legally have to go with you?

ive no idea, im just speculating

~James

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wish I had some solid advise for you. Really. Fifteen years old is an age where parents can do little to persuade. Perhaps if she had a 15 year old bf/chat friend :yes: from usa????

July 7, 2004 - Met Aimee in a chatroom

Dec. 25, 2005 - Went to Phils to meet her the first time

January 7, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska Service Center.

January 27, 2006 - Received NOA1.

April 18, 2006 @1859 cst - NOA2 - APPROVED!

July 15, 2006 - Packet 4 received

September1, 2006 - Medical

September 8, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!

October 15, 2006 - Arrived in USA

November 4, 2006 --- WEDDING!!!

April 20, 2007 - Mailed AOS

May 18, 2007 - Biometrics

July 26, 2007---GREEN CARD!(no interview)

April 13, 2009 - Mailed I-751 for Removal of Conditions

May 5, 2009 - NOA (extension approved)

May 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment arrived today-scheduled for May 29, 2009

August 13, 2009 - Approval for removal of conditions (originally delayed due to RFE)

August 20, 2009 - 10 year green card arrived in mail

June 9, 2010</ - Treygan Isaiah is born

June, 21, 2010 - My adoption of Nathan is finalized

No lawyers and no problems

I think she'd have to legally go with you, as she is not yet 16?

USCIS California Service Center - Expedited

09-SEP-2010 : Mailed I130 Petition to Chicago Lockbox.

16-SEP-2010 : Received NOA1.

24-SEP-2010 : Expedite: service request

05-OCT-2010 : Supporting documents sent to CSC.

16-OCT-2010 : RFE received.

19-OCT-2010 : RFE response received at CSC.

22-OCT-2010 : I130 Petition APPROVED.

30-OCT-2010 : NOA2 Received in Mail

NVC - Expedited

27-OCT-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-NOV-2010 : Expedite request emailed to NVC

10-NOV-2010 : Expedite approved - Case forwarded to Consulate

12-NOV-2010 : Medical

US Embassy - Expedited

18-NOV-2010 : Packet 3 email received.

19-NOV-2010 : Emailed DS230, DS2001

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

01-DEC-2010 : MP requests assistance from US Ambassador

03-DEC-2010 : Waiver transferred from USCIS to DHS

11-DEC-2010 : Waiver Receipt notification dated 07-DEC-2010

20-DEC-2010 : VISA/Waiver Approved

22-DEC-2010 : Approval letter received

24-DEC-2010 : Passport collected by courier

10-JAN-2011 : CR1 Visa Issued by IVU London

11-JAN-2011 : Passport / Visa delivered.

18-JAN-2011 : POE: EWR (Newark, New Jersey)

17-FEB-2011 : Welcome Letter Arrived

19-FEB-2011 : Green Card I-551 Arrived

I-130 Mailing to Approval (incl. waiver): 102 Days

OCT 2012 : Applied for Removal of Conditions

DEC 2012 : Received NOA1 (GC extention letter)

18-JAN-2013 : Biometrics walk in approved and completed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

No, she doesn't have to go. If she really was adamant that she didn't want to leave she could not be forced to leave. The Courts would look at her age and at 15 she would be considered old enough to make her own decision as to where she lived. They would not forceably remove a child from the jurisdiction of the court without her agreement. It can be hard - we think of them as children, a long way after reaching 15, but there are certain circumstances where the courts don't.

If she is absolutely destraught at the thought of coming to the US, could she not stay with her 19 year old brother? Not sure what the circumstances are, because you didn't put much informatin in your post, but is that a possibility.

My daughter was happy about coming to the US, she as 13 at the time, but she was worried sick about leaving her friends behind and how they were going to remain friends with such a distance between them. I told her that they could come visit her here, that we would pay for that. She would be visiting the UK several times a year, since her twin brother stayed there with his Dad, so she could see them then. She has been lucky and managed to keep 75% of her friendships alive - some promised to keep in touch and just didn't return e-mails, letters, etc. But her true friends have been just that 'true friends". I think you have to explain that true friends are just that, no matter where you live.

I was wondering, though, whether she will be finished with her GCSE's by the time you bring her to the US. I found that was the worst thing for my daughter, the transition from the English style of education to the American style of education. It was sooooo hard for her to adjust, but she did fine in the end. In hindsight, I feel that I shouldn't have moved her until she had completed her GCSE's at home.

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Timeline

thank you very much for your response. She will be 16 by the time we go and she would have finished her gcse's. my son is in year 10 at the moment he is 14 and im worried about the change for him also in the school. he is quite shy and doesnt really give his feelings very well.

No, she doesn't have to go. If she really was adamant that she didn't want to leave she could not be forced to leave. The Courts would look at her age and at 15 she would be considered old enough to make her own decision as to where she lived. They would not forceably remove a child from the jurisdiction of the court without her agreement. It can be hard - we think of them as children, a long way after reaching 15, but there are certain circumstances where the courts don't.

If she is absolutely destraught at the thought of coming to the US, could she not stay with her 19 year old brother? Not sure what the circumstances are, because you didn't put much informatin in your post, but is that a possibility.

My daughter was happy about coming to the US, she as 13 at the time, but she was worried sick about leaving her friends behind and how they were going to remain friends with such a distance between them. I told her that they could come visit her here, that we would pay for that. She would be visiting the UK several times a year, since her twin brother stayed there with his Dad, so she could see them then. She has been lucky and managed to keep 75% of her friendships alive - some promised to keep in touch and just didn't return e-mails, letters, etc. But her true friends have been just that 'true friends". I think you have to explain that true friends are just that, no matter where you live.

I was wondering, though, whether she will be finished with her GCSE's by the time you bring her to the US. I found that was the worst thing for my daughter, the transition from the English style of education to the American style of education. It was sooooo hard for her to adjust, but she did fine in the end. In hindsight, I feel that I shouldn't have moved her until she had completed her GCSE's at home.

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

11/08/2006 medical

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My daughter was 17 when I first moved to the U.S. She stayed behind in Canada to finish high school and then came to the U.S. a year later.

She had many reasons why she didn't want to come, the biggest being missing her friends. She had met someone on a snowboarding site that lived near here, and is going to University in Oregon. That helped a lot and they are now boyfriend/girlfriend.

She is slowly getting used to living in the U.S. and has even applied to colleges in Oregon and Washington for September. She is now a Conditional Permanent Resident and is waiting for her Green Card to arrive. She just got her Washington driver's licence last week. Everything took a while to fall into place, but things are starting to work out for her.

Good luck with your kids. It's a hard decision to make.... I still miss my 22 and 24 year old sons who are back in Canada terribly and always will.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I think its really difficult, because i'll be leaving my friends and my family as well, but, i think a good conversation, telling her she is not just a little girl and she can make new friends and new life, school and new things would be as great as is living there in your country.

Maybe showing her pictures and introducing her to friend over internet that live in the same place you'll live would be cool to her.

She will know someday that you just did the best choice! Im sure!

Hugs

Visa Approved!

Removal of Conditions

21/03 - VSC Received it

24/03 - NOA 1

27/03 - Check Cashed

08/04 - Biometrics received

July 8th - Approved

"Do you think who made the ears wont listen to you? Do you think who made the eyes, wont see? God is always watching you and listening to you"

988_d85d41946422f5b8fb58899bbfd0ba87_prod.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
No, she doesn't have to go. If she really was adamant that she didn't want to leave she could not be forced to leave. The Courts would look at her age and at 15 she would be considered old enough to make her own decision as to where she lived. I doubt that it would be in the best interest of the child to make them a ward of the court.

How many people here think that we give our children entirely too much freedom to make decisions? By definition, minor children are exactly that, legally incapable of making important decisions.

The two poeple of majority age who are responsibility for the care of the minor child must consent to remove the child from a country through the K-1 Process.

This is not a custody dispute between parents. Hypothetically speaking, who thinks the courts would defer the decision to the minor's guardians?

Who thinks this would ever get to the courts if both parents agreed?

I don't think this is a legal issue, but rather the issue of what the parents think is best for the minor child. :bonk:

If the mother and father of the child think that the child would have a better life in the USA, then the children are exactly that, children. They may think their friends are "cool", but they lack the capacity to understand the larger implications. This is what makes the parents important at this age.

:ot:

OH BY THE WAY! The K-1 laws are changing in a few days! The American must now undergo criminal background checks. But there is some discussion that USCIS might "grandfather" in your petition if they receive it before the new law takes effect!

What does this mean? USCIS might be "Cleaning out the pipeline" before the new law goes into effect (March 6???). I received NOA2 approval in 2 days through NSC! :whistle:

After the new law takes effect, there will probably be additional waits for criminal background checks. I can only imagine everything will sit for a while while USCIS comes up with a new procedure.

2/1/2006 Mailed I-129F to NSC

2/2/2006 I-129F delivered to NSC

2/6/2006 NSC NOA1 - Received!

2/8/2006 NSC NOA2 - Approved!

2/10/2006 NSC mails K1 to NVC

2/20/2006 NVC received K1

2/27/2006 NVC Mail K1 to Kiev

3/9/2006 Kiev Receives K1

3/10/2006 FAX'ed appointment letter to Kiev

3/14/2006 Scheduled interview in Kiev

4/10/2006 Appointment in Kiev

4/10/2006 K-1 Visa Received

If it is any help pm and me and i can get her in touch with my son who came here with me he was 15 and now is 16 and he now says he would never go back to the UK.

Crazy Brit

26th Nov 04 I29F sent to TCS

29th Nov 04 confirmation from post office that application recieved at TCS

8th Dec 04 NOA1

10th Dec 04 Touched

7th Jan 05 Just found out from this site that if your receipt number starts wac that is the California Service Centre

8th Feb 05 APPROVED!!!!!! bloody hell I am in shock

12th Feb NOA2 arrives via snail mail

24th Feb Got NVC number

25th Feb email from NVC case has been forwarded to London

4th March Packet 3 received

OH when oh when will I hear from the Embassy for my date for the interview?!?!?!

4th March Sent packet 3 back recorded delivery

7th March packet received at Embassy via recorded delivery

28th April Medical in Edinburgh

6th May 2005 Interview thank god!!!! A date at last

6th May 2005 had interview Welcome to the United States, I have my VISA approved!!!!!

23rd May flew to Atlanta GA

2nd July Married !!!!!

11th July sent of AOS and EAD

22nd July received NOA's for AOS and EAD

9th September succesfull with a walkin Atlanta for Biometrics

20th Oct had info pass for EAD, EAD issued for one year

4th May AOS interview Atlanta APPROVED!!!!

19th March 2008 Sent application to remove conditions

31st March 2008 received NOA

17th April 2008 Biometrics

Timeline

hi sorry for the late reply but still cant find my way around sight very good. You are very kind. I have spoke to my daughter a bit more on the subject but she is still unsure can you send me your sons email and ill get her to email him if she wants. Thanks again Steph

If it is any help pm and me and i can get her in touch with my son who came here with me he was 15 and now is 16 and he now says he would never go back to the UK.

Crazy Brit

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

11/08/2006 medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.