presidentbalut

Visa Lottery Sponsor?

6 posts in this topic

I was just curious what the rules are for having a sponsor when applying for the Visa Lottery, compared to say an IR1/CR1? Cann anyone sponsor you? How long do you need to be married? Are the income levels the same? Thanks.

If you're talking about financial sponsorship: As I understand anyone can sign an affidavit of support as long as they are a US resident or citizen. I presume income levels are the same for all immigrant sponsorships. But as a DV winner you only need this if you can't prove your own income/assets or earnings potential (via the education/work experience qualifying criteria). (no idea what the rules for the other ones you mention are).

I was just curious what the rules are for having a sponsor when applying for the Visa Lottery, compared to say an IR1/CR1? Cann anyone sponsor you? How long do you need to be married? Are the income levels the same? Thanks.

As far as I know, no marriage nor sponsor required; just being from one of the selected countries and having some qualifying education/occupation. See: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html or guides6ly.gif

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sponsor requirements for DV winners are embassy dependant. Many never ask anything some demand an I134 for ( I have never seen them want the I864 which is enforcable ) If they believe you have a plan to get started in the US they probably won't ask but take it with you if you can. Anyone in the US that is a citizen or LPR can do this.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

As far as I know, no marriage nor sponsor required; just being from one of the selected countries and having some qualifying education/occupation. See: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html or guides6ly.gif

Interesting... my neighbor has an American husband sponsor(or did), and she came over on the visa lottery. So how does that work?

I don't care to read the guides, thanks. I prefer the forum.

Sponsor requirements for DV winners are embassy dependant. Many never ask anything some demand an I134 for ( I have never seen them want the I864 which is enforcable ) If they believe you have a plan to get started in the US they probably won't ask but take it with you if you can. Anyone in the US that is a citizen or LPR can do this.

So depending on where you file depends on if you need a sponsor? Is there a master list for this?

Interesting... my neighbor has an American husband sponsor(or did), and she came over on the visa lottery. So how does that work?

I don't care to read the guides, thanks. I prefer the forum.

So depending on where you file depends on if you need a sponsor? Is there a master list for this?

Perhaps you should ask your neighbor. Maybe she won DV while another application was in progress and it's a faster route (you can still apply for DV if you have a petition in progress). Maybe she didn't have enough financial standing on her own and needed a sponsor. The only way you'll know for sure is by asking them, not us.

No "master list", country specific information is available for DV winners. Sponsorship is generally required for people from former Soviet Union countries (it appears they have had problems with bank statements in the past) and one or two others, and may be required on an individual basis for other applicants if they cannot provide sufficient evidence to the consular officials that they won't become a public charge.

And the previous poster was perfectly correct to point you to the guides. It's people who don't bother reading on what is easily available who find themselves denied at DV interviews.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.