The Mean Lady

Visa Approved - A Review of Montreal

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The Drive

Google directions is officially fired.

They tell me 6 hours 15 minutes.

Actual was probably 7 hours and 15 minutes.

I say probably because for some dumb reason they shut down the 403 for a whopping 5km or so and it resulted in taking a little over an hour to go just 4km and get off the dang thing.

We took the 401 all the way up there and that highway was a piece of cake the entire way.

Of course, gas decided to skyrocket over night so I was seeing gas upwards of 1.45/gal in the big cities, around 1.35 in the small cities, and I paid 1.27 and 1.29 at a few places where I got lucky.

It was only 1.24 Monday night and I ALMOST filled up but gas doesn't go up on Tuesdays so I'm not sure what the deal was here.

It was 1.34 in my town so that was crazy.

Also, for anyone else coming in on the 401/20e/720e, the 20E turns into a residential/town area so just be aware.

I was all WOAH WOAH what's going on?!

Other than that, this highway was much more navigator friendly unlike the 407.

WHICH BTW, google maps wanted me to take the 407 for this little loop thing and get back on the 403, and I made it change the path to add "4 minutes" to my trip since it would save me like 20 bucks

Had I kept it, I would have bypassed the closed highway portion -__-

The Hotel - Travelodge

The hotel was probably the TINIEST hotel I've EVER seen in my life.

I got a free upgrade to a queen bed from a double (no complaints here).

But the room itself, and the bathroom, AND THE SHOWER were just hilariously small.
You open the door and the TV is right there in your face on the wall lmao.

Whatever, it did the trick, but it was still funny and would have been more annoying for me if I'd wanted to spend a week there doing medical/waiting for visa, ya know?

Complimentary breakfast in the morning which we didn't take advantage of because it starts after 7.

We still had time AFTER the interview, but weren't really hungry then anymore since I grabbed something on the way.

Also, idk if the other floors are like this, but the 11th floor, when you get off the elevator, there's a sign clearly telling me there's vending and ice machines on the floor, yet there are not.

They are 11 floor back down by the restaurant.

Parking is an additional $19.

Secure underground garage.

Staff was nice, room was clean and quality was to be expected for the price (IE peeling paint, rusty shower bar, etc)

The Area

Hey, so, uhm, apparently most of montreal likes to close at 6pm.

And seeing as google decided to lie to me, and the highway decided to hate me, I got there at 715.

The underground mall was completely closed as were many of the shops on the same street as the hotel.

A few streets over on St Catherine(?) there were lots of open stores and food places.

However, this brings me to my biggest issue I faced.

If France is anything like Quebec, I'm never going.

I thought since all of canada puts english/french on everything, quebec would be no different.

Not true.

Everything is in French.

Everything.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHING.

I didn't come across a single menu with english translations for my feeble mind.

I couldn't understand most of what was posted on menus on the walkway, so I opted for Five Guys since I was familiar.

Though I did get to try their poutine which is unavailable at Five Guys in the US so that was cool.

I was able to venture the mall early this morning though most of it was STILL closed because now we were too EARLY lmao.

Honestly nothing was all that interesting and we ended up just beginning our drive back home to brave the rush hour toronto traffic (which btw did not exist in our direction WOOHOO!)

I'm sure there's probably more exciting things around there if I actually drove or got in a cab, but we're just not site seeing people.

The Interview!

Arrived outside the consulate at about 620am (second in line)

Grabbed something to eat a few minutes later from a cafe in the same building (husband held spot)

A little bit later, BSD showed up and tried to cut the line but I put him in his place and sent him to the back of the line.

He made some excuse about not knowing where to stand but I think we all knew what he was really trying to do.

The first 4 people in line were all VJers so we started chit chatting a bit.

Eventually they started to let us in.

I assume at about 730 since none of us knew the time (sans phones).

I know there was a lady there with a stroller, a large diaper bag, and a PHONE and she got in just fine.

I don't know what they made her do with her phone (if anything) but she came in just like the rest of us.

Show passports and loomis confirmation upon entry.

Empty pockets, walk through detector, get frisked, go sit by elevator.

All the while, they're still hiding the time from you like it's a national secret.

Photobooth is still there for those that need them.

Everything else in the room seems ancient (passport pricing from 2005, yeah ok)

Eventually up the elevator, then after exiting, walk to the left left and make a line by the sign.

That was probably the most confusing part because it doesn't look like saylins picture anymore.

It was literally just a pole with a sign, and you were expected to know which way the line should go lmao

It was probably the most entertaining part of the process; watching people come up and be confused.

Received C2 number, go back and sit in center group of chairs.

Another fun fact we learned:

The windows only call certain numbers.

Window 1- C1, C5, C9, etc

Window 2- C2, C6, C10 etc

I hope you're seeing the pattern.

It literally goes: 1,2,3,4 then 5,6,7,8 then 9,10,11,12 etc from left to right.

So, you'll know what window you're going to get called to based on your C number.

Also, that means numbers will get called out of order if one window goes faster.

THIS ALSO MEANS IF WINDOW 3 DOESNT SHOW UP FOR WORK, THEN BSD HAS TO SIT THERE AND WAIT.

Honestly, dude, when did you finally get called up?!

SO, we get called to window 2, present original marriage cert, bc, and pcc upon request.

Finger prints.

That's pretty much it.

I'm sure he would have asked for the pictures as well but I accidentally gave them to him in the BC.

Go back and sit down.

All of this was done by 815 because they finally put a clock in this room.

Then they don't do interviews until after 830.

Almost right at 830, c1 gets called, then shortly after we're called.

This guy was soooooooooo nice.

He was joking with us and laughing at how we met.

He asked how we knew each other and we both said 'we're married' since that's the standard response at the border crossing so he laughed because he meant how did we MEET lmao.

So we just talked about that and he questioned my husband's denials at the border, but assured him they didn't affect his visa, he just was being nosy.

Then eventually after lots of laughing and joking and more finger prints, he stamped approved and send us on our way.

We were out of the consulate before 9am

PS- He gave us ONE piece of paper which says NOTHING about how to pay the $165 visa fee lol

So, I guess that's pretty much it!

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! Poutine !

But seriously - congratulations !

Whatcha eating, to celebrate?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

The piece of paper of how to pay the bill comes with the "do not open envelope" and passport. This is because it has your husband's a# on it. :)

Congrats on approval!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Congratulations!! Thanks for your review as well. I'm glad you mentioned the thing about wall clocks. I was wondering if the consulate had wall clocks. How far is that hotel from the consulate, walking distance? Congrats again!! Hope you get your passport soon.

Timeline

hahaha another EPIC review - brilliant :) !!! Congrats to you and your hubby !! thanks so much for all the detail....great review !!

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Timeline

Montreal is "not all that interesting"? Seriously?

I'm pretty sure I didn't misspell what I said.

I'm from Chicago.

Growing up in a big city has not made other big cities all that exciting.

Although I DID enjoy vancouver.

I felt it was a cleaner version of Chicago.

Montreal was mostly extremely shifty.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Eh canadians!

Ok, so I can see hubby's visa is already at my loomis facility (jesus christ people, you're fast)

Is there some kind of status I need to look for somewhere that says I can actually go pick 'er up?

I mean it says it arrived about an hour ago, but I don't know if that means I can go get it, or I have to wait for that email or something.

On CSC it says 'In-Transit' so I assume I just wait for it to say 'Ready' or something of the sort?

Has anyone had delivered?

The place is about 36 minutes away (according to fired google directions) but we're leaving next saturday so that makes me nervous that it will take a few more days to deliver direct to me.

They said they would respond in approximately 2 days (to my email request for delivery) and then deliver in another 2 days.

That's cutting 'er close.

Also, how does one pay?

I mean it's 19 dollars to deliver, and about 20 in gas so it's about the same amount really, I'm thinking I'll just take a long lunch and get it.

oldlady.gif

I'm pretty sure I didn't misspell what I said.

I'm from Chicago.

Growing up in a big city has not made other big cities all that exciting.

Although I DID enjoy vancouver.

I felt it was a cleaner version of Chicago.

Montreal was mostly extremely shifty.

Ohhh, you are the USC. In that case I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing that Montreal is arguably the best, and certainly the most culturally-rich city in Canada (Old Montreal is like a slice of 17th century France, with its amazing old stone buildings, and Montreal's restaurants are world-renowned), and for not being able to read a French menu. (Still, I would think your husband could have clued you in).

I just didn't want others on the forum reading your post and missing out on what Montreal has to offer because they only went to the mall.

Timeline

Ohhh, you are the USC. In that case I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing that Montreal is arguably the best, and certainly the most culturally-rich city in Canada (Old Montreal is like a slice of 17th century France, with its amazing old stone buildings, and Montreal's restaurants are world-renowned), and for not being able to read a French menu. (Still, I would think your husband could have clued you in).

I just didn't want others on the forum reading your post and missing out on what Montreal has to offer because they only went to the mall.

Maybe you can answer this for me. When I went to Montreal, all the signs and everything were in French. However, in Ontario, everything generally has an English/French translation. Even the food labels. So how come there's no English translations in Montreal (or Quebec in general)? I can't remember if all the signs and things in Quebec were French only (Last time I was in Montreal/Quebec was around 5-6 years ago). Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart ###, I actually would like to find out the reason for this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.