The Mean Lady

Visa Approved - A Review of Montreal

38 posts in this topic

Maybe you can answer this for me. When I went to Montreal, all the signs and everything were in French. However, in Ontario, everything generally has an English/French translation. Even the food labels. So how come there's no English translations in Montreal (or Quebec in general)? I can't remember if all the signs and things in Quebec were French only (Last time I was in Montreal/Quebec was around 5-6 years ago). Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart ####, I actually would like to find out the reason for this.

Bill 101, passed in the '70s, made French the official language in the province of Quebec. Signs etc. must be in French. They can include English as well, but French has to come first and be in larger print than the English. It's been very controversial in Quebec over the years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Bill 101, passed in the '70s, made French the official language in the province of Quebec. Signs etc. must be in French. They can include English as well, but French has to come first and be in larger print than the English. It's been very controversial in Quebec over the years.

Thanks for that info. Seems kinda shady that the rest of Canada provides French translations while Quebec won't provide English translations. They obviously didn't sign up for the good neighbor policy.

Timeline

Maybe you can answer this for me. When I went to Montreal, all the signs and everything were in French. However, in Ontario, everything generally has an English/French translation. Even the food labels. So how come there's no English translations in Montreal (or Quebec in general)? I can't remember if all the signs and things in Quebec were French only (Last time I was in Montreal/Quebec was around 5-6 years ago). Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart ####, I actually would like to find out the reason for this.

This was my biggest gripe

Would you mind sharing any details about your medical? Where, How did it go, How much, etc. Thanks, appreciate it.

I did an enjoyable review of this already:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/438325-dr-zatzman-review-wonderful-review-of-the-407etr/

oldlady.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Food labels usually come with French and English. As for the restaurants, most of the ones in Montreal have an English menu, sometimes you have to ask, other times if they hear you speaking in English they'll give it to you. Fast food places where the menu is on the wall though, yeah, it's in French only more often than not.

But I guess it depends on where you go :) I have been to Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI, and I never noticed any french anywhere, unless we were in certain towns where there was french speakers. So most of the time I had to play translator for my parents who don't speak English very well.

I agree that there's progress to be made, and that since we are in a bilingual country, you should be able to find services in both languages everywhere - I'm still a bit frustrated that I can't get my birthcertificate in english -_-; -

I think part of the problem is that there's some resentement toward anglophones here, especially among the older generation. But I also heard some pretty crazy stuff coming from the anglophones too. So I guess the problem goes both ways : /

K1 Journey AOS Journey

I-129f sent - 2013/02/27 I-485 sent - 2013/12/17

NOA1 - 2013/03/05 NOA- 2013/12/24

NOA2 -2013/07/09 (126 days (4 months and 4 days) from NoA1) Biometrics- 2014/01/22 at Metairie, LA

Packet 3 mailed - 2013/08/02 NOA - Approved!!! 2014/08/28

Packet 4 received - 2013/08/12

Interview scheduled -2013/09/11

POE - 2013/09/20 (By car at Highgate/Vermont)

Timeline

Food labels usually come with French and English. As for the restaurants, most of the ones in Montreal have an English menu, sometimes you have to ask, other times if they hear you speaking in English they'll give it to you. Fast food places where the menu is on the wall though, yeah, it's in French only more often than not.

But I guess it depends on where you go smile.png I have been to Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI, and I never noticed any french anywhere, unless we were in certain towns where there was french speakers. So most of the time I had to play translator for my parents who don't speak English very well.

I agree that there's progress to be made, and that since we are in a bilingual country, you should be able to find services in both languages everywhere - I'm still a bit frustrated that I can't get my birthcertificate in english sleep.png; -

I think part of the problem is that there's some resentement toward anglophones here, especially among the older generation. But I also heard some pretty crazy stuff coming from the anglophones too. So I guess the problem goes both ways : /

Yeah, it totally did not occur to me until Wednesday morning before the interview that DUH there was probably an english menu that I could have asked for lmao.

But alas, I worked my way through just fine at the five guys.

I mean I own enough of these condiments that I can recognize them.

I've learned the cornichons are pickles, for instance.

But don't ask me how to pronounce it lmao

Oh, but there's still no solution to the detour road sign that I could not understand.

Just thank god it had nothing to do with me lmao

oldlady.gif

Thanks for that info. Seems kinda shady that the rest of Canada provides French translations while Quebec won't provide English translations. They obviously didn't sign up for the good neighbor policy.

Kinda goes deeper than that, like, back a few hundred years. Canada used to be just Ontario and Quebec. France had Quebec (Lower Canada) and England had Ontario (Upper Canada). France and England had a war. England won. Quebeckers have been pissed off ever since. Quebec has even tried to separate from Canada in recent history.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Interview!

Arrived outside the consulate at about 620am (second in line)

Grabbed something to eat a few minutes later from a cafe in the same building (husband held spot)

A little bit later, BSD showed up and tried to cut the line but I put him in his place and sent him to the back of the line.

He made some excuse about not knowing where to stand but I think we all knew what he was really trying to do.

The first 4 people in line were all VJers so we started chit chatting a bit.

lol. Hey! I really wasn't paying attention!

I was approved, but my Loomis still doesn't show a waybill number. It is supposed to be sent to London. Here is what I see.

BriansLoomisAccountPic_zpsd53652f6.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions? The interviewer (really cool guy) said it should only take 2 days, whereas Loomis (when I called them today) said it should take 3-5 business days.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

lol. Hey! I really wasn't paying attention!

I was approved, but my Loomis still doesn't show a waybill number. It is supposed to be sent to London. Here is what I see.

BriansLoomisAccountPic_zpsd53652f6.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions? The interviewer (really cool guy) said it should only take 2 days, whereas Loomis (when I called them today) said it should take 3-5 business days.

Were you in interview room 7 or 8?

Guy in 7 said 5 days to us.

I just find it crazy that KY and I both got ours back already and yours didn't move.

Makes no sense.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Were you in interview room 7 or 8?

Guy in 7 said 5 days to us.

I just find it crazy that KY and I both got ours back already and yours didn't move.

Makes no sense.

Ya I got 7. He said 2 to me. Makes me feel better that he told you 5, though. At least it's possible that I misunderstood what he was saying. I'll give it till Wednesday, and if nothing, then maybe I'll call again.

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

Timeline

Ya I got 7. He said 2 to me. Makes me feel better that he told you 5, though. At least it's possible that I misunderstood what he was saying. I'll give it till Wednesday, and if nothing, then maybe I'll call again.

Yeah he definitely told us 5.

Not even a range of 3-5 or anything.

Just straight up 'you should get an email with a number in about 5 business days'

And I told my husband 'don't worry it never takes that long'

Now I'm glad it didn't since we're leaving in a week =X

oldlady.gif

Timeline

You'll be happy to know that the website updated and now shows that Loomis picked up my visa on Friday. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow in London to see if they have it in. :-)

You'll be happy to know that the website updated and now shows that Loomis picked up my visa on Friday. I'll probably give them a call tomorrow in London to see if they have it in. :-)

YAY!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I had my interview in Montreal this morning and just received an emailed stating that my passport was picked up by loomis this evening at 7:30. Wow they are quick!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.