danver

Mother of Naturalized Citizen to Petition Siblings

6 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Members,

Hope everyone is doing great. i have a few questions to make sure i know what to do.

I am a naturalized citizen now and so are my three kids ( 2 from the Philippines and my USC husband).

I really would like to petition my brother and sister who are over 21 . one is married with kids and brother is single.

If i can bring my mom over here through I-130..can she petition my brother and sister? How long is the waiting period?

I would appreciate any idea.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If you petition for your brother and sister, it will take 23 years. Their marital status does not matter.

As an LPR, your mom can only file for the unmarried child. That will take 10 years. The child must remain unmarried until he/she gets a green card.

As an LPR, your mother cannot file for a married child.

Once your mother becomes a US citizen (5 years with a green card). She can file for a married child. That will take 21 years plus however long it takes her to get US citizenship; so at least 26 years.

Edited by aaron2020

If you petition for your brother and sister, it will take 23 years. Their marital status does not matter.

As an LPR, your mom can only file for the unmarried child. That will take 10 years. The child must remain unmarried until he/she gets a green card.

As an LPR, your mother cannot file for a married child.

Once your mother becomes a US citizen (5 years with a green card). She can file for a married child. That will take 21 years plus however long it takes her to get US citizenship; so at least 26 years.

Thanks a lot but i am still confused. Once my mom gets her green card can she petition my unmarried brother who is over 21 . So it will take years to get my brother here? i know i cant bring my brother and sister here that is why i am asking.

If that's how long it takes i guess not a good idea then since they will be too old.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks a lot but i am still confused. Once my mom gets her green card can she petition my unmarried brother who is over 21 . So it will take years to get my brother here? i know i cant bring my brother and sister here that is why i am asking.

If that's how long it takes i guess not a good idea then since they will be too old.

Once your mother gets a green card, she can petition for an unmarried child over 21. It will take 10 to 12 years for him to get a visa. He must stay unmarried.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello fellow Members,

Hope everyone is doing great. i have a few questions to make sure i know what to do.

I am a naturalized citizen now and so are my three kids ( 2 from the Philippines and my USC husband).

I really would like to petition my brother and sister who are over 21 . one is married with kids and brother is single. If you pursue this path (F4 category), it would take 23-24 years before your siblings can immigrate to the US.

If i can bring my mom over here through I-130 Yes, file i-130 for your mother.

..can she petition my brother and sister? She can file for the UNMARRIED one. He/She will be under the F2B category. Waiting time is 10-11 years. Must stay unmarried during the entire process.

How long is the waiting period? For the MARRIED one, mom has to become a US citizen first in order to file for him/her. Waiting time for married sons/daughters of USC (F3 category) is 21 years + 5 years for mom to become USC = total 26 years.

I would appreciate any idea.

Source: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_6028.html

Edited by apple21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also if the married sibling is over 30 by the time your mother becomes a USC that visa class may be capped to only under 30 married children. The sibling class may vanish soon also .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.