hellomms

Am I being discriminated against?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I am a US Resident from Pakistan and just applied for tourist Schengen Visa through Italian Consulate in NYC. I was asked for Birth Certificate which was NOT listed on in the check list on the website. I was surprised they asked this for a mere 9 day Visa even though I have been living in US for 13 years, have already been to EU in 2011, and recently got a 10 years GC issued. Is anyone aware of this requirement (Birth Certificate) for Tourist Visa?

I asked the officer why its not listed on their website as a requirement and the response was that "it would be discriminatory"! I was told the requirements changed last year

Naturally I am upset, (now) certainly feel discriminated against and on top of it I dont even know if this is an actual requirement. Is there a way to find out? I have a BC but I have hard time believing that BC is a requirement for a Visa while being a PR of US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not think you were discriminated against. Remember, you are not entitled to a visa, they can ask you for pretty much anything and a birth certificate actually seems reasonable.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Schengen Visa is not really controlled by Italian Embassy or Consulate. Its authority is EEAS and guidelines are the same across all countries. I could go to Netherlands, Spain, or any other Schengen treaty country and get the visa and enter in Italy. So no, they CANT just ask for anything because (1) they'd be making stuff up (2) they'd be discriminating as the officer said smile.png

Sorry, not trying to argue or but you being Canadian, wouldnt be as familiar with the visa requirements as someone like me who has gotten visa for over 15 different countries including Canada and Schengen

That said, agree I am not entitled but what prevents them from asking me my genealogy, if we go by your standard of asking anything

Edited by M + M

Filed: Timeline

Basically, you are a Pakistan citizen not a US Resident on their eyes.

My family were refused entry into UK because they arrived on Nigerian passport but with USGC. The explanation was that they are being processed as Nigerians and not US Citizens which of course they were not.

Like the other poster stated, they can pretty much ask for whatever they want and a BC sounds pretty reasonable to me if they suspected fraudulent travel documents.

Schengen Visa is not really controlled by Italian Embassy or Consulate. Its authority is EEAS and guidelines are the same across all countries. I could go to Netherlands, Spain, or any other Schengen treaty country and get the visa and enter in Italy. So no, they CANT just ask for anything because (1) they'd be making stuff up (2) they'd be discriminating as the officer said smile.png

Sorry, not trying to argue or but you being Canadian, wouldnt be as familiar with the visa requirements as someone like me who has gotten visa for over 15 different countries including Canada and Schengen

That said, agree I am not entitled but what prevents them from asking me my genealogy, if we go by your standard of asking anything

How do you know her travel history?

Timeline

How do you know her travel history?

She/he is from Canada as the profile says. I was referring to my own travel history and experience of getting visas from other countries. Sorry for confusion.

She/he is from Canada as the profile says. I was referring to my own travel history and experience of getting visas from other countries. Sorry for confusion.

That's the thing. You are assuming that she doesn't have even more travel experience than you since she's Canadian.

Canadians do travel too you know, eh.

Timeline

That's the thing. You are assuming that she doesn't have even more travel experience than you since she's Canadian.

AND we apply for visas!

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I can't tell for the Schengen visa, but in France a birth certificate is necessary for a lot of forms.

I don't think that you were discriminated.

It would be surprising for me that France is a member of the Schengen zone and doesn't ask for this document. You need it to go to school, for the driver licence...everything which is government oriented.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Timeline

No, thats not what I am assuming

AND we apply for visas!

Yes, the difference is I can count on my hand the number of countries one needs to apply for visa as a Canadian citizen and I can also count on my hand, the number of countries one does NOT need a visa as a Pakistani ;)

Timeline

Yes, the difference is I can count on my hand the number of countries one needs to apply for visa as a Canadian citizen and I can also count on my hand, the number of countries one does NOT need a visa as a Pakistani wink.png

Ugh, whatever

Asking for a birth certificate was not discrimination, it was a reasonable request

good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

I can't tell for the Schengen visa, but in France a birth certificate is necessary for a lot of forms.

I don't think that you were discriminated.

It would be surprising for me that France is a member of the Schengen zone and doesn't ask for this document. You need it to go to school, for the driver licence...everything which is government oriented.

Perhaps I wasnt discriminated against, and may be I am taking it personally. Though, in 2011 I got Schengen through French consulate, they didnt need BC that time.

Yes, the difference is I can count on my hand the number of countries one needs to apply for visa as a Canadian citizen and I can also count on my hand, the number of countries one does NOT need a visa as a Pakistani wink.png

How many countries are in Africa and how many require Canadians to get a visa?

How many hands do you have?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

The website for the Italian embassy in the US clearly states "The Consular office will evaluate the documents submitted and may request additional ones at its discretion. Furthermore, you should also be aware that submitting the required documentation does not automatically guarantee the issuance of a visa. " right under the requirements listed. I do not think you were discriminated against. (I also think the officer probably told you or meant to tell you it was discretionary, not discriminatory)Yes, your past travels may help make it easier to get a visa to some countries, but it does not guarantee you anything. Italy may not care you lives in the US so long or have been to Europe before.. they saw something with your application that just makes them want that extra check.

If you have your birth certificate then what is the big deal? Why all the anger for something they are just taking care to make sure all is well? If the trip to Italy is worth it then just supply them with what they requested and enjoy your trip.

Edited by MedRoni

Timeline

I don't mean to steer this into a negative conversation/thread and accept everyone's consensus here, but I think there is and should be a right balance. There is no hiding in what people/world's view are, of Pakistan, I am very well aware of the stigma. My point is that by holding a Pakistani passport I am inherently subjected to that stigma, and I am okay with that, but I fail to understand the value Birth Certificate adds - what precisely will it confirm or re-confirm?!

The other reason I find this request unreasonable is because generally people dont understand the circumstance of how/when the Birth Certificates were issued 3-4 decades ago in these underdeveloped countries. For example, its very common to not have the child's name on the birth certificate that is issued only under mother's name. I respect the US immigration process for incorporating these cultural difference to reduce the angst of bureaucratic processes but at the same time find it very odd that European countries are still trying to play catch-up

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.