Anna Grant

SSN - Told I Can't Apply For One As Married on K1 Visa

51 posts in this topic

Help!

I entered the US on 27 June on a K1 visa. I didn't apply for an SSN as I was getting married in 2 weeks and I know that it takes 2 weeks for my entry details to filter down to SS. I also wanted my SSN card in my married name (after waiting this long to get married!)

We had a lovely wedding on Friday and I sent off all the AOS stuff yesterday.

So I completed the SSN form, checked all the paperwork I needed and went to the local SS office this morning. After queuing for an hour, I was told that I couldn't have an SSN as I had married my fiance and was no longer a K1! She told me I was now a K3!

I tried arguing with them but they were adamant. They also typed some stuff in from my passport into her computer, so I'm pretty sure I can't go anywhere else. I should have asked to speak to a supervisor but I was quite upset by this time. At least I got the name of the person who dealt with me.

So. Where do I go from here? I could wait for the EAD to come through and then go back. However, I do desperately need to get out to work (if at all possible) as our savings have been severely depleted by the year long wait to get to this stage. Waiting for the EAD would add another 2 weeks onto the process waiting for the SSN.

Have a look at this guide. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

It has a few good ideas for dealing with this situation.

Yes, I had read that before going to the SS office. It was being told that I no longer qualified as a K1 as I had got married that threw me. I had all the info printed out but she told me that I was now a K3. I said 'I'm not, I'm a K1.' She told me 'You stopped being a K1 when you got married. It says 'Fiancee' and you're now a 'spouse'.'

Yes, I had read that before going to the SS office. It was being told that I no longer qualified as a K1 as I had got married that threw me. I had all the info printed out but she told me that I was now a K3. I said 'I'm not, I'm a K1.' She told me 'You stopped being a K1 when you got married. It says 'Fiancee' and you're now a 'spouse'.'

Ask for her supervisor next time. You're entitled to an SSN.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Yes, the clerk was wrong and acting outside her authority.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

So - should I go back? Or phone?

First , I would e-mail the main SSA office on their website and recount as much of your last visit as possible i.e. date, time, name of person you spoke to, local office, etc. They should send you an e-mail outlining what you need to do inorder to properly train this person. If you do not get an e-mail from teh SSA main office, I would go back and apply in your maiden name as that is the name on your visa, I-94, and passport. After you get the number you can go back and change the last name and with teh GC get the "NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION" removed. Right now the number is the most important thing to get. Worry about the name later. This person was so wrong on so many accounts:

1) the K-1 visa expired the day you entered the US.

2) getting married does not magically change a K-1 to a K-3 and actually the K-3 is no more as it is clsoed and you continue on a CR-1/IR-1 which also can get a SSN

3) you can apply for the SSC in your married name by using a Marriage Certificate as the official name change document (after all how does a USC woman change her name?)

Always go in person to the SSA as they cannot do anything for you unless you are standing right in front of them.

Ask for a supervisor and if that does not work ask for that person's supervisor, and if that does not work have them go up the chain using their phone, but this will take some time so be prepared. Hopefully you will get a letter. You can do an advanced search here on VJ and look for author I'M GONE who used to work for the SSA and had many good posts on how to get them to do their jobs.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

First , I would e-mail the main SSA office on their website and recount as much of your last visit as possible i.e. date, time, name of person you spoke to, local office, etc. They should send you an e-mail outlining what you need to do inorder to properly train this person. If you do not get an e-mail from teh SSA main office, I would go back and apply in your maiden name as that is the name on your visa, I-94, and passport. After you get the number you can go back and change the last name and with teh GC get the "NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WORK WITHOUT DHS AUTHORIZATION" removed. Right now the number is the most important thing to get. Worry about the name later. This person was so wrong on so many accounts:

1) the K-1 visa expired the day you entered the US.

2) getting married does not magically change a K-1 to a K-3 and actually the K-3 is no more as it is clsoed and you continue on a CR-1/IR-1 which also can get a SSN

3) you can apply for the SSC in your married name by using a Marriage Certificate as the official name change document (after all how does a USC woman change her name?)

Always go in person to the SSA as they cannot do anything for you unless you are standing right in front of them.

Ask for a supervisor and if that does not work ask for that person's supervisor, and if that does not work have them go up the chain using their phone, but this will take some time so be prepared. Hopefully you will get a letter. You can do an advanced search here on VJ and look for author I'M GONE who used to work for the SSA and had many good posts on how to get them to do their jobs.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks. That's really helpful. I have sent a message using the link you provided and I'll see what happens from there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i suggest never applying in married name, if you want a ssn # next day.

WHY? clerk cannot find you in the SAVE db via married name.

go back in person, ask for a supervisor, apply in VISA NAME.

go back the next day, ask for the SSN #. If there were any problems, you will learn of it on the 2nd day.

Once you get the card in hand, go back and ask for a name change.

Sorry you had troubles - applying in married name in the time window you are in, is very troublesome and mostly results in grief. Add to it the incompetent SSA clerk, and you've just experienced a world of hurt and bruising with the SSA.

Seriously, go back and get a supervisor. Apply in Visa Name.

Post-Scriptum - it is exceptionally rare to fix anything via telephone. Must to go in person, get a supervisor, at the SSA office.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

i suggest never applying in married name, if you want a ssn # next day.

WHY? clerk cannot find you in the SAVE db via married name.

go back in person, ask for a supervisor, apply in VISA NAME.

go back the next day, ask for the SSN #. If there were any problems, you will learn of it on the 2nd day.

Once you get the card in hand, go back and ask for a name change.

Sorry you had troubles - applying in married name in the time window you are in, is very troublesome and mostly results in grief. Add to it the incompetent SSA clerk, and you've just experienced a world of hurt and bruising with the SSA.

Seriously, go back and get a supervisor. Apply in Visa Name.

Post-Scriptum - it is exceptionally rare to fix anything via telephone. Must to go in person, get a supervisor, at the SSA office.

Thanks. Will I get into trouble for applying in visa name when I tried today in my married name? How do I explain why I'm asking for a supervisor tomorrow if I apply in my visa name?

Help!

I entered the US on 27 June on a K1 visa. I didn't apply for an SSN as I was getting married in 2 weeks and I know that it takes 2 weeks for my entry details to filter down to SS. I also wanted my SSN card in my married name (after waiting this long to get married!)

So I completed the SSN form, checked all the paperwork I needed and went to the local SS office this morning. After queuing for an hour, I was told that I couldn't have an SSN as I had married my fiance and was no longer a K1! She told me I was now a K3!

I tried arguing with them but they were adamant. They also typed some stuff in from my passport into her computer, so I'm pretty sure I can't go anywhere else. I should have asked to speak to a supervisor but I was quite upset by this time. At least I got the name of the person who dealt with me.

So. Where do I go from here? I could wait for the EAD to come through and then go back. However, I do desperately need to get out to work (if at all possible) as our savings have been severely depleted by the year long wait to get to this stage. Waiting for the EAD would add another 2 weeks onto the process waiting for the SSN.

Hi Anna,

I was K1 got married and was accepted for a SSN, just make sure you apply for it within the 90 days of your I-94. You won't be allowed to work until you have your green card so there isn't a huge benefit to having your SSN. I used mine to apply for my driving license here. Good luck :)

Timeline

Thanks. Will I get into trouble for applying in visa name when I tried today in my married name? How do I explain why I'm asking for a supervisor tomorrow if I apply in my visa name?

Trouble? no.

explain? tell the supervisor the clerk you dealt with is utterly confused about how to handle new immigrants holding K-1 visas and you need an accurate SAVE db lookup done in VISA Name and/or A#.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Help!

Oh Geez! I warned you of that exact scenario in my email to you :(

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Oh Geez! I warned you of that exact scenario in my email to you sad.png

Yes you did and I made a wrong choice.

However, the conversation with the person at the SSA started like this:

Me - 'I would like to apply for a SSN. I have my passport which includes my visa and I-94. I entered on a K1 visa on 27 June"

Her - 'Have you got married subsequently?'
Then I really had no choice but to say 'Yes on 12 July'. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it was a K1 visa. Maybe that was what triggered the 'marriage' question. But she would have seen it was a K1 visa as soon as she opened the passport.

Timeline

any news? did you go back today, get a supervisor human?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.