jose_leti

Filing i 485 with new married name or k1 visa filed name

10 posts in this topic

last name of your wife on the i-485 form should be the last name you guys agreed to use on the marriage certificate.

if she agrees to use your last name, then its your last name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

thanks she has my last name on her social security card and on the marraige certificate she has her old last name?

im going to put down her old last name.

What name does she WANT to go by? That is the answer. If married, married name.

However, if your marriage certificate has a place to enter the name she wants AFTER marriage (some states, like Iowa, do this) and she didn't put her married name, then she didn't do a name change.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

witch last name is recommended to use on the i485 after marriage?

should i put down my last name for my wife or use her old last name filed for k1 visa?

What name has she been using since you married? If she is going to take your last name from now on, then you use her married name on all the AOS forms. The name you use is the name her EAD and green card will come with. It will cost a lot to change the green card later, so you really want to put the name she is going by since you married. Not all states have a place to put the new married name on the marriage certificate. A lot of states just show the husband's name and the wife's name at the time you received the marriage license. The marriage certificate acts as legal proof of name change when the wife is taking the husband's name after marriage.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

one last question. in Illinois they don't give you a state id unless you show you files for aos. so she has been using her maiden name for bank accounts and other institutions. the only place where she has been going by married name is on her social security card. i just dont want to get my petition denied for filing it incorrectly. thanks for your patience and help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is not incorrect for her to file in her married name. That is how she will get documents in her married name(the EAD and green card) so she can get the state ID in her married name and have her accounts changed over to her married name. The marriage certificate acts as legal proof of name change when the wife is taking the husband's name after marriage.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

one last question. in Illinois they don't give you a state id unless you show you files for aos. so she has been using her maiden name for bank accounts and other institutions. the only place where she has been going by married name is on her social security card. i just dont want to get my petition denied for filing it incorrectly. thanks for your patience and help

She can change her name on her bank accounts using her marriage certificate.

I went into our bank in Illinois and changed my name on our joint checking account just using our marriage certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.