Harmon-y

Bringing Stepdaughter Born Out of Wedlock

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I am getting ready to file an I-130 for my stepdaughter who was born out of wedlock. The case is also special because my husband has a case pending separately (it has been pending for 3 years and we want to bring her to the US quicker- I read it can take 6-12 months only for children). I am including the following in my file to send:

Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, Money Order in the amount of $420.00, Copy of my passport, Copy of Marriage License to my husband, Copy of Birth Certificate for Stepdaughter (evidence she was not yet 18 when we married AND her father's name is listed as father on the certificate), evidence my husband has a relationship with her (copies of MoneyGram receipts for several years, affidavit from her mother, and from her grandmother agreeing a relationship has been maintained), evidence my relationship with my husband is real (marriage license, birth certificate of our child with his name listed, lease agreement, and affidavit from my mother agreeing we are really marred) , a notice of consent for my stepdaughter to come here from her mother, and passport style photos of both of us.

My questions are:

I heard that sometimes USCIS will give you a hard time when you are petition for a stepchild when the father does not have papers yet (he is filing a I-589 which he CAN put her on but as I said it is taking years and years). How will they give me a hard time? Will I be denied a visa for her because of this?

Do I need to provide evidence I specifically have a relationship with her? (ie money orders for her in my name) or is her father's relationship with her and my relationship with him sufficient?

Is there anything I am forgetting? This seems to simple but technically I seem to have everything. I am a US citizen petitioning for my stepchild who was under 18 when her father and I wed and she is still only 13.

Because her father and her mother were never married, I can not provide any evidence they divorced. Do I need to write something up explaining they never married?

Thank you - any advice is helpful!!

I-130

I-130 Sent : 11/02/2013

I-130 Received: 11/05/2013
I-130 NOA1: 11/06/2013

I-130 NOA2: 06/06/2014

NVC

NVC Received: 7/07/2014

Case & IIN # Received: 7/07/2014

DS261 Submitted: 7/28/2014

NVC Accepted DS261: 7/28/2014

AOS Bill Generated: 7/29/2014

Paid AOS Bill: 7/29/2014

Sent AOS Packet: 7/29/2014

<<TOOK UNSCHEDULED BREAK FROM FILING FROM INABILITY TO GET MINOR'S PASSPORT, During this time IV bill was generated and a checklist for AOS was generated and addressed>>

Paid IV Bill: 01/30/2015

Sent IV Packet: 2/3/2015

Case completed: 03/24/2015

EMBASSY

Case Received: 04/30/2015

Interview scheduled: 5/20/2015

RESCHEDULED 2 TIMES BECAUSE OF MEDICAL EXAM ISSUES - HAD TO SCHEDULE SEPARATE PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM IN ADDITION TO MEDICAL EXAM WHICH CHANGED DATES

Interview Scheduled: 7/20/2015

Administrative Review for missing Marriage License

Approved Visa: 9/15/2015

POE: 10/9/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to the US to Bringing Family Members of US citizens to America as the OP is petitioning her step-daughter and is better answered in this forum.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Apparently I am one of the few with this type of case. But in case anybody else is out there - FYI I met with a lawyer who was giving some free advice at Consulate of El Salvador. She told me that I am just fine to petition for my stepdaughter regardless of a pending case on my husband. I am getting all my papers together for the I-130 still but I will keep my timeline posted.

I-130

I-130 Sent : 11/02/2013

I-130 Received: 11/05/2013
I-130 NOA1: 11/06/2013

I-130 NOA2: 06/06/2014

NVC

NVC Received: 7/07/2014

Case & IIN # Received: 7/07/2014

DS261 Submitted: 7/28/2014

NVC Accepted DS261: 7/28/2014

AOS Bill Generated: 7/29/2014

Paid AOS Bill: 7/29/2014

Sent AOS Packet: 7/29/2014

<<TOOK UNSCHEDULED BREAK FROM FILING FROM INABILITY TO GET MINOR'S PASSPORT, During this time IV bill was generated and a checklist for AOS was generated and addressed>>

Paid IV Bill: 01/30/2015

Sent IV Packet: 2/3/2015

Case completed: 03/24/2015

EMBASSY

Case Received: 04/30/2015

Interview scheduled: 5/20/2015

RESCHEDULED 2 TIMES BECAUSE OF MEDICAL EXAM ISSUES - HAD TO SCHEDULE SEPARATE PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM IN ADDITION TO MEDICAL EXAM WHICH CHANGED DATES

Interview Scheduled: 7/20/2015

Administrative Review for missing Marriage License

Approved Visa: 9/15/2015

POE: 10/9/2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

To petition a step child

You must have married their bio parent before they turn 18

You must prove the marriage before the deadline

You must prove the bio relationship

You must have permission for the otehr parent to bring the child or have sole custody of the child

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.