Tradewind

Adjustment of status from B1/B2 , to immigrant

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Her intent when she received the visa and her prior trips are irrelevant.

What is relevant is her intent on her last entry into the US before she attempts to adjust her status.

It is my idea to have her immigrate. I asked her if she wanted to and she said she would live with me anywhere I wanted to live. Simple as that.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm afraid that's just nonsense. If she said, "I just love and support you and will do anything you want me to do." she'll still go to jail if she drives your gettaway car. If the two of you are in the USA and then decide to stay and have her adjust status, you are unlikely to have any problem, but don't play silly word games. Follow the law.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I am trying to help you, so don't take this personally.

The robbery happened several years ago. Since then, you and your wife have traveled to the US and return to Panama several time. If you both feared for your lives, then why did you keep going back so many time?

Whatever you think your reasons are, USCIS will not view it the same way. USCIS will conclude there was no genuine fear because you choose to return to Panama several times over the years after the robbery.

Your choice on what to do. The correct and legal way is for your wife to return to Panama to wait for a spousal visa. You can attempt to adjust, but be aware that if she is found to make a material misrepresentation, she could be ban from the US for life and there would be nothing you could do to fix it. Is the risk worth it? Your choice.

Thanks for your help. I am not taking anything personal on this. Actually we have not been going back to Panama very much. We have a sailboat and have been living in several Caribbean countries on the boat. Moving around. We do not want to return to Panama and wait. We don't feel safe there and thats the truth. In and out is OK but living there doing a process for 3 month to a year is not what we want to do.

So I need a new road map on how to immigrate my wife to the USA. Not sure exactly how to do it. I do not want to live in Colombia to do the process either. I do not want her to live in Colombia to do the process as it is a long distance from Bogota where her family lives. So what should we do? I am at loss.

Thanks for your responses and help.

Timeline

I'm afraid that's just nonsense. If she said, "I just love and support you and will do anything you want me to do." she'll still go to jail if she drives your gettaway car. If the two of you are in the USA and then decide to stay and have her adjust status, you are unlikely to have any problem, but don't play silly word games. Follow the law.

You are right. Bad choice of words. We want to follow the law to the letter. I appreciate your advise. What she says is "its your decision, I will live where you decide"

Thanks James and Lily

*** topic moved to general immigration discussion as OP is discussing visa paths ***

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.