Amalgamated

how soon should I get married after I get my lottery visa

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

It is not illegal. It will take years and it will require you to prove a bonafide relationship but not illegal.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Timeline

My guess is the first question will be, if you knew each other before DV-2014, why you did not marry her before the interview and take her with you.

Anyways, good luck. I am glad we reached mutual understanding :)

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Thank you so much

And my answer will be : since the US consulate ask for wedding marriage,same home,same address, same car, same property at the time of my interview we couldn't afford that at that time

I have only me my wife and God no one else how can prove that for them

Thank you

Timeline

That is not a problem. You will not have the same home, car, adress etc. when you move to the US either. My husband owns a car and lives in the Sates, I live in Croatia and drive my father's car. But you can show that you dated, communicated and saw each other. You could get married next month and move in together, change the address on one of the IDs, get some bills together.

Honestly, if you could go with her, why leave her behind for cca 5 years? :/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I'm not an expert, and I don't know if you already have your interview, but if you want your wife to go with you quickly, your plan is not the best (don't take it in the bad way, please).

If you don't have bills with both your names (which is undestandable), give them proofs of dating.

It seems me that you just need proofs of dating not proofs of sharing properties or utilities.

Proofs of dating: pictures with dates (if possible), e-mail, phone calls...just that you knew each other before marrying.

I don't know at what level you are in the process, if it's before the interview or after. But it seems me that you will need more help from VJ members, to see if you don't have the option to go with your wife.

Please, if you want your wife to go with you, don't choose the plan that you choose only because you think that it's your only option. Ask on visa journey, whatcould be your different options?

I'm pretty sure that you can go with her, but you need some subject-matter expert. But if you don't mind...

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

He's not asking about the problem for his wife to be, he's wondering if HIS visa lottery is listed as single and he gets married before he comes to the USA, that HIS visa will be considered misrepresentation since he got married and is no longer single. Am I getting that right?

Timeline

I don't know at what level you are in the process, if it's before the interview or after.

If he is DV-2014, even if he has a very low number, it is before the interview. This year's interviews will start in October. They have until Sept 30th to conclude interviews for DV-2013.

He's not asking about the problem for his wife to be, he's wondering if HIS visa lottery is listed as single and he gets married before he comes to the USA, that HIS visa will be considered misrepresentation since he got married and is no longer single. Am I getting that right?

I don't think so. But anyway, the answer would be: No, it is not misrepresentation if he was single when he signed up for the lottery.

I know it is hard but what should I do thank u

What are you wondering about now? Hit me :) I have friends in the process (rescheduled their interview because the baby was due soon after the interview) and I read about it a lot. :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I'm trying to know what the OP really wants.

Ivy wrote it:

Okay, so let's see if I got this.

1. You have a girlfriend.

2. You won the lottery.

3. You want to marry her between your interview and the flight to the US.

4. Then after you come to the US, you want to petition for her as LPR.

Please correct if any of this is not true?

I understand that it's his question.

Sorry I don't know the process, so I can't help on this one.

BUT

Did he choose this step because he wants it (so Ivy replied) or because he told himself that "I don't have any choice because of what the us embassy asked him".

I'm more sure that he chose the red steps because he told himself I have no choice.

SO, if this last note is true:

let's see: if they marry tomorrow and he has an interview in one week: the us embassy can't ask him utilities bills, properties bills...he needs proofs of dating, if you don't have any...try to find proofs, if you don't have like e-mail...ask several people to write affidavit (i don't know if the embassy will accept that). Try .

The real answer depend on what is the real concern behing the question asked.

My question is do you want to go with your wife? and avoid her to wait on your country so long.

If it's yes, so your question would be: how can i bring my wife with me without any tangible prooves that we lived together or meeting (something like that, sorry it's late).

and ask this question on VJ.

Edited by MIDUVIL

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've read the rules about filing for the DV. It clearly states there, at the time of filing, that spouses and children should all be listed. There's no specific ruling about applying as single then getting married while waiting to win or after winning.

Since no one here (at this time) has ever been on that situation, it would be better to call your US Embassy and inquire directly at them.

My personal advice would be, stay single. Once you receive your green card, go back to your home country and marry your girlfriend. Go back to US and file i-130 for your spouse. Wife will be under the F2A category (Spouse of LPR). Waiting time for F2A is moving fast now, she would be able to immigrate in 2 years or less.

I hope this will works for me but if I travel to the US I will come back after 3 or 4 years I know that because I have nothing in my country

That's why I wanna marry and then go once there I will apply for her

Timeline

I agree with apple about contacting the embassy. However, I disagree with the last advice.

I also read the rules, played the lottery, participated in a DV only forum and have seen that many people got married after being selected. It is not a problem in itself, it is not forbidden to marry or have children in 1-2 years between applying and moving to the US.

As I said, my friends got pregnant after winning the lottery. The embassy said, no problem, we will reschedule the interview until after the baby is born so she can get a visa too.

I can not imagine a scenario in which one can not prove a relationship. I dated my neighbor for 4 years and my phone records would have shown many calls and texts to him, emails or chat logs. So why not take the wife to be with him if it is possible?

It might also be relevant where OP is from. An interview in Berlin will surely be easier than an interview in Lagos.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.