7 posts in this topic

I went to the Philippines in 2010 using my Philippine passport with my name spelled Ma. Lourdes LASTNAME. My green card has my name spelled Maria L. LASTNAME. I didn't have any problems getting out of the US nor coming back. I will be travelling there again in September and my travel agent is advising me to have my passport or green card reissued so that my name is exactly the same. Question is do I really need to and if so, which spelling should I keep? The green card spelling or the passport spelling?

Thank you!!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I went to the Philippines in 2010 using my Philippine passport with my name spelled Ma. Lourdes LASTNAME. My green card has my name spelled Maria L. LASTNAME. I didn't have any problems getting out of the US nor coming back. I will be travelling there again in September and my travel agent is advising me to have my passport or green card reissued so that my name is exactly the same. Question is do I really need to and if so, which spelling should I keep? The green card spelling or the passport spelling?

Thank you!!!

Is your name Ma or Maria? That is the name you should be using.

I don't see it as a major issue, and like said you have traveled with the passport like already. Maybe carry a copy of your marriage certificate just in case, not sure what the spelling is on that. :)

Personally I would have whichever document does not match your name changed to the correct name.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you!!!

If your passport was issued as MA., I assume the name on your NSO birth certificate is also MA. Correct?

The GC is showing MARIA. Have the GC corrected.

IMO, follow what is on your birth cert. My friend back in college has the same problem as you before, most of her legal documents (birth cert and baptismal) were Maria Cheryl but on her school credentials and ID's, she was Ma.Cheryl. She was advised to seek a lawyer and she always carry with her the notarized document certifying that Maria Cheryl and Ma.Cheryl is just one person. She was then advised to always use Maria Cheryl in all her future transactions as what it appears on her NSO birth cert..

Good luck.. good.gif

Edited by Memphis

USCIS

8/10/12-Sent I-130 x2

8/17/12-NOA1

2/28/13-NOA2

NVC

5/6/13-Case# & IIN recvd

7/23/13-Case complete!

US Embassy

9/4/13-Interview- APPROVED!

9/7/13-Visas on hand

10/27/13-POE: SFO

11/5/13- SSN's received

12/2/13-GC's on hand

US Citizenship soon...

I agree with Memphis.. I am a "Maria" too.. been using "Ma." in school but had to change it in my college years.. Go with what's on your birth certificate =)

K-1 Journey:

05/23/2013: I-129F packet mailed 05/29/2013: NOA1 (E-mail) 06/01/2013: NOA1 (Hardcopy) - - w/ typo error, my name's wrong 06/06/2013: Alien Registration Number Changed

08/07/2013: Case Transferred to my local USCIS office (E-mail)  08/12/2013: Case Received at Texas Service Center; Received NOA-T Hardcopy   09/05/2013: NOA2 (Email) - On our 9th Anniversary! Best Gift!

09/09/2013: NOA2 (Hardcopy) 09/10/2013: Case Shipped to DOS 09/19/2013: Case Shipped to Manila Embassy (Received MNL case number thru Phone 09/20/2013) 09/28/2013: NVC Letter Received (Petitioner)

10/24/2013: Fiance Medical Day 1 10/25/2013: Fiance Medical Day 2 (Passed) Yey! 11/09/2013: Approved I-129F Packet/Notification Letter from USEM Manila received by beneficiary

11/18/2013: Visa Interview - Approved! 11/21/2013: CEAC - "Issued" 11/26/2013: Visa picked up at 2GO MOA 12/02/2013: CFO done 12/27/2013: POE LAX

02/14/14: GOT MARRIED!

AOS Journey: EAD/AP Journey:

03/25/14: I-693 Vaccine Form Completed 04/15/14: AOS/EAD/AP packet mailed 04/21/14: NOA1 (Email) 04/25/14: NOA1 Hard Copy (Mail)

05/21/14: Biometrics done 06/26/14: Card Production 07/29/14: NPIWC letter received 07/02/14: Card Mailed w/ Tracking #

03/03/15: Inquiry sent (extended review) 07/07/14: EAD/AP Combo Card Received 04/03/15: 2nd inquiry 04/17/15: EAD/AP Renewal Request Sent

04/10/15: RFE for AOS received thru mail 04/20/15: EAD/AP NOA1 (Email) 06/20/15: Green Card approved 

ROC Journey:

06-12-17: I-751 Form/packet mailed  06-15-17: delivered to CSC 

06-19-17: Check was cashed  06-19-17: NOA1 received thru mail dated 06-15-17

07-18-17: Biometrics done

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.