Caitlin and Jose

Affidavit of Support? Does part time work help?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

I am a returned Peace Corps volunteer who has been working part time and recently began a full time job while waiting for my NOA2. With only my full time position, I make over $26,000 with the hourly wage I earn. In addition, I earn nearly $9,000 with my part time position. As a result I will earn a little over $35,000 with both positions combined. My tax returns have been below the poverty line because I was in Peace Corps but I will be able to show pay stubs and my current income. Will my past tax returns hurt me? I know the embassy is clearly familiar with the Peace Corps Volunteers and know that I am reentering into work. Although I want to make sure that I make the requirements. I don't want a co-sponsor so I am trying to make sure I can be the sole sponsor.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I am a returned Peace Corps volunteer who has been working part time and recently began a full time job while waiting for my NOA2. With only my full time position, I make over $26,000 with the hourly wage I earn. In addition, I earn nearly $9,000 with my part time position. As a result I will earn a little over $35,000 with both positions combined. My tax returns have been below the poverty line because I was in Peace Corps but I will be able to show pay stubs and my current income. Will my past tax returns hurt me? I know the embassy is clearly familiar with the Peace Corps Volunteers and know that I am reentering into work. Although I want to make sure that I make the requirements. I don't want a co-sponsor so I am trying to make sure I can be the sole sponsor.

Thanks for your help in advance!

You should be fine with the pay stubs but also make sure you ask for a letter from your full time employer stating your salary, position, etc.

I'm in a very similar situation, I just returned to the US after doing a Fulbright grant in Peru and have only been with my company for 2 months now. I'm bringing my pay stubs, a letter from the employer and bank statements. I'm also planning on bringing co-sponsor documents from my mother just in case they do have a problem. But i don't plan to present them unless they question the fact that I've only been working full time for a short period of time. From what others have told me on this site the cosponsor won't be necessary but I want to be prepared just in case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

Thanks for your advice!! I know its over the minimum income requirement but I want to show them that I am prepared hence why I am working two jobs but from what I have heard most embassy's are well aware of Peace Corps Volunteers getting back into the swing of things so hopefully they will put that into consideration for me similar to your full bright grant. Unique situations! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

List your main job on the I-134 but add the incomes from both your jobs together and put that income amount on the line for current annual income. Provide letters of employment from both employers and recent pay stubs from each job to prove current income. You can include a statement if you like about being in the Peace Corp as an explanation as to why your 2012 taxes do not reflect the income amount you are making now. You could also add that you have a second job and your income will be stable and ongoing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have nothing to worry about. They look more at the CURRENT income than what you have made in the past. In my case, ALL my previous tax years have been below the poverty line, but my current income I had 2 jobs and with the combined income I was over the poverty line. I included employment letters and about 3 months of paystubs from both jobs. I also included a co-sponsor as a 'just in case', because I was worried about my past tax returns as well. They accepted my affidavit of support, without the co-sponsor. They handed my co-sponsor's forms back to me and said they didn't need it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.