GandD

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

170 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok, you win. Feel better now? That will lead to all guns being confiscated and you can sleep peacefully.

It's not about winning. It's curious that you would argue that growing mental health issues are the root cause while also arguing that homicides have been reduced quite dramatically. Guns make killing more likely. This is why having a gun in the home is more likely to cause injury or death to a member or acquaintance of the household more likely than to protect the home from an invader. Twelve times more likely. Just read this morning about the 4 year old that killed his own father with the gun of his father's former roommate. This kind of ####### happens almost daily in this country. What do you think this does to the psyche of a child? Killing your father, your sister, your auntie. None of it would happen were there not guns in so many homes. Wanna address mental health? Get rid of the guns.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's not about winning. It's curious that you would argue that growing mental health issues are the root cause while also arguing that homicides have been reduced quite dramatically. Guns make killing more likely. This is why having a gun in the home is more likely to cause injury or death to a member or acquaintance of the household more likely than to protect the home from an invader. Twelve times more likely. Just read this morning about the 4 year old that killed his own father with the gun of his father's former roommate. This kind of ####### happens almost daily in this country. What do you think this does to the psyche of a child? Killing your father, your sister, your auntie. None of it would happen were there not guns in so many homes. Wanna address mental health? Get rid of the guns.

The guns aren't going anywhere. Even you know that.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Nope. Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the term "maybe". wink.png
I don't know how many there are. We could count them after they're turned in. The military? I am not worried about the military having 20 and 30 round magazines. It must have been awhile that the military shot 20 first grade children at school or a member of Congress and a judge at a campaign event or an audience at a movie theater since I can't remember any of that happening.

maybe is conjecture ;)

as for the military having the magazines, do you really not think they wouldn't migrate into the civilian world?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You sound just like the gun nuts you criticize, only on the opposite side of the fence. I know it is a difficult concept, but the majority of gun owners are responsible with their firearms. I am a responsible gun owner who has a LTC, large capacity for all legal purposes. I am also an "gasp" assault weapon owner. I also "gasp" enjoy shooting and have since I was a child. I can get up during the night to take a piss and I can walk to my mailbox without a gun. Imagine that? I have no problem having my background checked. I have no problem with a special license to carry. I had to pass a test to get my drivers license. Ditto for my real estate, construction supervisor and various other licenses I hold. I have to take continuing ed classes to renew and keep those licenses active.

See. I'm a normal gun owner.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

You sound just like the gun nuts you criticize, only on the opposite side of the fence. I know it is a difficult concept, but the majority of gun owners are responsible with their firearms. I am a responsible gun owner who has a LTC, large capacity for all legal purposes. I am also an "gasp" assault weapon owner. I also "gasp" enjoy shooting and have since I was a child. I can get up during the night to take a piss and I can walk to my mailbox without a gun. Imagine that? I have no problem having my background checked. I have no problem with a special license to carry. I had to pass a test to get my drivers license. Ditto for my real estate, construction supervisor and various other licenses I hold. I have to take continuing ed classes to renew and keep those licenses active.

See. I'm a normal gun owner.

All I stated are some simple statistical facts. A gun in the home does not make the home safer. That's established. I don't doubt that the majority of gun owners are responsible with their firearms. Never said that I do. Fact is, the vast majority of gun owners must be responsible for if they weren't, we'd have hundreds of thousands of dead a year rather than just tens of thousands. What I am saying is that the more guns you have out there, the higher the odds for the criminal and mentally ill to get their hands on them. That's a fact. The more loopholes there are around background checks, the easier the acquisition of firearms for criminals and the mentally ill becomes. And the more massacres we will have as a result. There's no denying that. So why is the NRA and other gun lobby organizations fighting for criminals and the mentally ill and their suppliers to have plenty of avenues around background checks? There's no excuse for that.

The guns aren't going anywhere. Even you know that.

I know. You're going French on this raising the white flag. Awesome.

maybe is conjecture wink.png

as for the military having the magazines, do you really not think they wouldn't migrate into the civilian world?

I don't know. I wanted an M151A1 for the longest time, and they would not sell me one, something about rollover hazard, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't know. I wanted an M151A1 for the longest time, and they would not sell me one, something about rollover hazard, etc.

i've seen them owned by private citizens, although not lately. good vehicles though - if you couldn't get there in one of them, you probably didn't need to go there anyways.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Right out of OSUT, I was assigned as the Bn Cdr's driver. The taxpayers let me drive one for around four years. I took it some nasty places, and I always made it back. I hardly ever used the 4WD. The old man noticed, and mentioned something about it to the two star riding in the back. I said, "General, 4WD is for getting out of trouble, not into it."

All I stated are some simple statistical facts. A gun in the home does not make the home safer. That's established. I don't doubt that the majority of gun owners are responsible with their firearms. Never said that I do. Fact is, the vast majority of gun owners must be responsible for if they weren't, we'd have hundreds of thousands of dead a year rather than just tens of thousands. What I am saying is that the more guns you have out there, the higher the odds for the criminal and mentally ill to get their hands on them. That's a fact. The more loopholes there are around background checks, the easier the acquisition of firearms for criminals and the mentally ill becomes. And the more massacres we will have as a result. There's no denying that. So why is the NRA and other gun lobby organizations fighting for criminals and the mentally ill and their suppliers to have plenty of avenues around background checks? There's no excuse for that.

I know. You're going French on this raising the white flag. Awesome.

There are enough guns in this country to supply the mentally ill until the end of the earth as we know it. I for one am against people convicted of violent crimes, assaults etc for being able to get a gun. Especially for those convicted of crimes involving firearms. I have no problem having my fingerprints run, I have nothing to hide. I don't think the government is out to get me. I don't hear voices in my head. Yet. I have no problem with reasonable regulation, just as I don't with drivers licenses, crane operators, blasting licenses, etc.

Guns aren't going away, no matter who the President is. The only way it will happen is by changing the Constitution. Do you think you'll live to see the Second Amendment repealed? Stop selling guns tomorrow. There is a supply out there already to last for a thousand years.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

There are enough guns in this country to supply the mentally ill until the end of the earth as we know it. I for one am against people convicted of violent crimes, assaults etc for being able to get a gun. Especially for those convicted of crimes involving firearms. I have no problem having my fingerprints run, I have nothing to hide. I don't think the government is out to get me. I don't hear voices in my head. Yet. I have no problem with reasonable regulation, just as I don't with drivers licenses, crane operators, blasting licenses, etc.

Okay you just disqualified yourself from being considered a gun nut. You make sense. Shame on you!

Ah, if only they could all be like this.

Hahaha! Nice smile.png

You do have to be pretty damn good though to be able to switch out ammo so quickly that it doesn't give a big enough pause for a cop to take advantage. As I mentioned, there are well famous sprees which could have gone on for longer had that pause not happened. It just seems like a simple middle-ground measure that can help save lives in at least some cases (as evidenced) without impacting very much on normal people's rights.

So what is just the right amount of restriction you can place on my constitutional rights

the facts in bold are not in dispute. i'm also not aware of a 33 round magazine either....

also, assuming there would have been no carnage with a 10 round magazine is conjecture again.

now reference your earlier statement which drew my comment of "conjecture""

the statement about the 9 year old girl is conjecture.

i'm also curious as to how many magazines are in the usa that are greater than 10 rounds.

and what is the grand plan for the military, which uses 20 and 30 round magazines?

Glock makes a 33 round mag