GandD

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

170 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Gun violence is down because there are more guns. DUHHH.

Actually, no. Gun crime is down along with all crime. Gun homicides are down along with all homicides. Some 70% of all homicides are committed with firearms today same as was the case a couple of decades ago. Firearms remain the choice in homicides accounting for more than 10,000 homicides each and every year. All these firearms out there snuff out more American lives year in and year out than three 9/11 events combined would. More than two decade plus long war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan would. In other words, guns have killed more 36 times as many Americans as were killed on 9/11 since 9/11. And they have killed more than 20 times as many Americans as the wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan have. In fact, guns have killed more Americans just since Newtown - that is, over the last 6 months - than were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined over the last 12 years.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Actually, no. Gun crime is down along with all crime. Gun homicides are down along with all homicides. Some 70% of all homicides are committed with firearms today same as was the case a couple of decades ago. Firearms remain the choice in homicides accounting for more than 10,000 homicides each and every year. All these firearms out there snuff out more American lives year in and year out than three 9/11 events combined would. More than two decade plus long war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan would. In other words, guns have killed more 36 times as many Americans as were killed on 9/11 since 9/11. And they have killed more than 20 times as many Americans as the wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan have. In fact, guns have killed more Americans just since Newtown - that is, over the last 6 months - than were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined over the last 12 years.

How can a gun kill someone? Doesn't there have to be someone pulling a trigger? I'd look at the person pulling the trigger.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

How can a gun kill someone? Doesn't there have to be someone pulling a trigger? I'd look at the person pulling the trigger.

Why do we send our men and women into battle with guns? Right, because those make them more lethal. Yes, someone's gotta pull the trigger but how lethal would one be without a trigger to pull?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why do we send our men and women into battle with guns? Right, because those make them more lethal. Yes, someone's gotta pull the trigger but how lethal would one be without a trigger to pull?

Exactly. I agree using a gun is much easier way to kill someone than with a knife (or hands and feet idea9dv.gif ) I don't think restricting firearms more than they are already is either legal under the current constitution, or that will make any difference in firearm deaths. I mean the title to this thread says it all. Gun homicides are down 49% since 1993, yet there are many more guns in circulation than there were in 1993. So simply blaming the object used doesn't make much sense to me.

I think Slim is on to something regarding the massive increase in prison populations in relation to the massive drop in the homicide rate. Although, I find the "lock everyone up approach" akin to killing a housefly with a nuclear bomb.

There's some irony there though. The same group of people that want guns to available to everyone, are also the group that has the "lock em up and throw away the key" mentality. Something to ponder.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Are you trying to say there were no battles before guns were invented?

Exactly. I agree using a gun is much easier way to kill someone than with a knife (or hands and feet idea9dv.gif ) I don't think restricting firearms more than they are already is either legal under the current constitution, or that will make any difference in firearm deaths. I mean the title to this thread says it all. Gun homicides are down 49% since 1993, yet there are many more guns in circulation than there were in 1993. So simply blaming the object used doesn't make much sense to me.

We'd have fewer homicides if there were fewer firearms and/or if criminals and mentally incapacitated folk could not get their hands on them as easily as they can today. The NRA and its serfs in Congress have done a bang up job ensuring that criminals and the mentally ill have easy access to firearms. It's quite obvious that Adam Lanza would not have been able to kill 20 children and 6 educators had he not had the firearm he had. It's quite obvious that we would have had fewer - if any - fatalities in all of the NRA membership drives. We know that one Trayvon Martin and one David James would still be alive today had it not been for people unfit to handle firearms running around with them. Thus, it stands to reason that proper gun control would reduce gun homicides and homicides overall.

What the. :lol:

Nature Boy teaching you to read or something?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Could be because incarceration is up 790% since 1980.

Oh ! So, the criminals are already behind bars, in prison, and aren't on the streets to commit the homicides.

But - gun homicide - wait a mo - isn't most gun homicide committed by first-time offenders?

you know - buy a gun for home protection, then shoot the fella that came in ?

wait wait - that's 'home defense' - is this murder/death/kill even counted as a homicide if it's in defense of property ?

Oh well, interesting subject, to be certain, and I really don't care.. I've pistols and shoot at the range often.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

What the. laughing.gif

Nature Boy teaching you to read or something?

See I aint done a thing and there you go.

Ok here comes the---You made valid point so I will either call you stupid or claim you cant read comeback

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

NB - is that A,B, C, D, E, or 3 ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Ok here comes the---You made valid point so I will either call you stupid or claim you cant read comeback

Wrong again. You get a B for effort but you still fail.

No, quite obviously that's not what I tried to say. Had I tried to say that, I suppose I would have just said that. I didn't.