atenea26

DCF in Frankfurt (2013)

268 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

1) Frankfurt's own instruction sheet on filing this form makes this step sound "optional" (though I assume it's more the case that it's highly recommended!) It says:

If filing on behalf of a spouse, you may also wish to submit additional evidence related to the
bona fides of the marriage...
Advice?

When we started our petition, I never heard of VJ and sent in just the I-130 plus other forms. We actually never submited any supporting documents. Frankfurt also never asked for pictures, contracts or anything like that. I thought this was normal, but when sitting in the waiting room in Frankfurt we did see alot of people bring stuff in. After the (5 minute) inteview was over and my wife was approved I did ask the CO about this. We were told, that Germany is not considered a fraud country, and if a USC and German file, this usually never raises any red flags. I don't know if much has changed, but friends just completed their DCF last year in Frankfurt in just 6 weeks and had the same experience as us.

but these docs are all in German. It clearly states that we need a translation in the instructions -- even though later on throughout the process the Frankfurt consulate indicates copies in German or English are accepted. -- I assume I'll need to get translations done, though, right?

If you file DCF you can submit the docs without translation. If you file over a US Service Center, you will need translations. The translation can be done by anyone as long as he knows both languages and can assert this.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

@schinx87

1. I can't say for sure that bona fide evidence is optional. However, as you say, if it is optional, it would be highly recommended. USCIS wants to be sure that this person is really your spouse and not just someone you're helping get into the country. It's on you to show this.

Other posters might share what they sent for evidence. We'll be sending things similar to what you have listed: our lease, joint bank accounts, joint taxes, a copy of our wills, photos of us together through the years, etc. From my bookmarks folder, a thread of evidence suggestions: link

2. I had this same question. It looks to me like the documents that accompany the I-130 need to be in English, while those in the Packet IV can also be in German (perhaps because they stay in Frankfurt). That is just a guess, though. Someone else will be able to give a better answer.

3. The wording about translations is confusing. The translation need to be certified by someone proficient in both languages; the translator does not need to be certified. (Suggested certification text is on this FAQ page: link.) Many posters on VJ report translating their own documents. We plan to do our own.

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Timeline
2. I had this same question. It looks to me like the documents that accompany the I-130 need to be in English, while those in the Packet IV can also be in German (perhaps because they stay in Frankfurt). That is just a guess, though. Someone else will be able to give a better answer.

We submited all documents without a translation. Since you are filing direct with Frankfurt, they will process the application there and have bilingual staff. You can also read it here:

9 TRANSLATIONS (original & one copy)
All documents not in English or German must be accompanied by an English translation. Translations must be certified by a competent and registered translator. The original document that is being translated must also be presented with the original translation.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/Instructions%20for%20Immigrant%20Visa%20Applicants.pdf

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

We submited all documents without a translation. Since you are filing direct with Frankfurt, they will process the application there and have bilingual staff. You can also read it here:

9 TRANSLATIONS (original & one copy)
All documents not in English or German must be accompanied by an English translation. Translations must be certified by a competent and registered translator. The original document that is being translated must also be presented with the original translation.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/Instructions%20for%20Immigrant%20Visa%20Applicants.pdf

Yeah, that's the confusing bit. What you posted (if I have all of the paperwork straight) is from the Packet IV instruction sheet that we'll receives after the I-130 is approved. For that, we can send items in either language.

However, Frankfurt's current I-130 packet says that all items submitted in that packet must be in English:

5. Any document presented to USCIS that is not in English MUST have a COMPLETE translation into the
English language. The person that completes the translation must list his/her name and indicate he/she is fluent
in both the English and foreign language and that the translation is complete and accurate.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/I130%20Instructions%20and%20Checklist.pdf

It looks like each packet has its own requirement on language. This may be different from when you filed, or perhaps I have missed something in the instructions. Please tell me if it is the latter. I'm not particularly looking forward to translating our ~15pp Mietvertrag.

Edited by awaywego

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Timeline

Yeah, that's the confusing bit. What you posted (if I have all of the paperwork straight) is from the Packet IV instruction sheet that we'll receives after the I-130 is approved. For that, we can send items in either language.

However, Frankfurt's current I-130 packet says that all items submitted in that packet must be in English:

5. Any document presented to USCIS that is not in English MUST have a COMPLETE translation into the
English language. The person that completes the translation must list his/her name and indicate he/she is fluent
in both the English and foreign language and that the translation is complete and accurate.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/I130%20Instructions%20and%20Checklist.pdf

It looks like each packet has its own requirement on language. This may be different from when you filed, or perhaps I have missed something in the instructions. Please tell me if it is the latter. I'm not particularly looking forward to translating our ~15pp Mietvertrag.

Since you are filing over Frankfurt, I would just submit the required forms without German documents. You probaly have an International Birth Certificate and International Marriage Certificate anyway which is already issued in multiple languages. I would go ahead and send in all other documents after it was first process (concerning the link I posted above). If you want 100% clarity, just email USCIS at Frankfurt and ask them. I always got a response within 24 hours USCIS.Frankfurt@dhs.gov

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for opening this up for discussion. Sometimes reading through these instructions is just...fun :)

@schinx87

1. I can't say for sure that bona fide evidence is optional. However, as you say, if it is optional, it would be highly recommended. USCIS wants to be sure that this person is really your spouse and not just someone you're helping get into the country. It's on you to show this.

Other posters might share what they sent for evidence. We'll be sending things similar to what you have listed: our lease, joint bank accounts, joint taxes, a copy of our wills, photos of us together through the years, etc. From my bookmarks folder, a thread of evidence suggestions: link

3. The wording about translations is confusing. The translation need to be certified by someone proficient in both languages; the translator does not need to be certified. (Suggested certification text is on this FAQ page: link.) Many posters on VJ report translating their own documents. We plan to do our own.

Regarding points 1 & 3) I understand the importance of bona fide evidence and why there may be skepticism without-- I was more worried about the cost of getting very, very lengthy docs translated. I have all the proof--sadly the proof is just very, very wordy! f its true, as you say, that I can translate these things myself -- then I am absolutely happy to do so and do due-diligence. :) However, I have read conflicting information on this -- i.e. only 3rd parties can do it. Do you have a source citing I can do these myself? Has anyone else done them by themselves re: the Bonafide Marriage evidence?

Regarding point 2) That was definitely the confusing point! I read that the filing process for the I-130 is slightly different and separate from Packet IV, hence the differences. Its also very interesting that they say it so explicitly in the instructions for the I-130

Once I do file, I will be sure to update everyone and let you know how it goes! Waiting for this year's tax return to get filed with my CPA and then will submit!

Since you are filing over Frankfurt, I would just submit the required forms without German documents. You probaly have an International Birth Certificate and International Marriage Certificate anyway which is already issued in multiple languages. I would go ahead and send in all other documents after it was first process (concerning the link I posted above). If you want 100% clarity, just email USCIS at Frankfurt and ask them. I always got a response within 24 hours USCIS.Frankfurt@dhs.gov

We have an international Marriage certificate in English. Regarding emailing the USCIS in Frankfurt -- will they answer any application related question? I had the impression they only answered questions related to already-submitted applications.

Thanks again for your assistance!!

Will probably be back for more discussion!

Best,

Schinx

10/2006- Started dating

06/07/08- Got Engaged

06/2009 - Got Married

03/05/2014 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/07/2014 - Fee charged to credit card

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1

03/19/2014 - I-130 approved

04/08/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

04/24/2014 - Package 3 sent off in the mail to Frankfurt

05/03/2014 - Received Interview Appointment via Mail

05/14/2014 - Medical Exam Complete!

05/27/2014 - Interview -- Visa was Approved!

06/02/2014 - Visa arrived via Registered Mail :-)

07/17/2014 - POE Detroit -- We're here!

08/26/2014 -- Pending issue with Typographical Error in Permanent Residency Card...Case Filed

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for opening this up for discussion. Sometimes reading through these instructions is just...fun smile.png

Regarding points 1 & 3) I understand the importance of bona fide evidence and why there may be skepticism without-- I was more worried about the cost of getting very, very lengthy docs translated. I have all the proof--sadly the proof is just very, very wordy! f its true, as you say, that I can translate these things myself -- then I am absolutely happy to do so and do due-diligence. smile.png However, I have read conflicting information on this -- i.e. only 3rd parties can do it. Do you have a source citing I can do these myself? Has anyone else done them by themselves re: the Bonafide Marriage evidence?

Regarding point 2) That was definitely the confusing point! I read that the filing process for the I-130 is slightly different and separate from Packet IV, hence the differences. Its also very interesting that they say it so explicitly in the instructions for the I-130

[...]

I figured you understood why they ask for the bona fide relationship evidence, but figured I'd include the info just in case.

I unfortunately don't have a citation on the self-translation. (I'd be more comfortable with a statement from USCIS, too.) I did find a lot of VJ threads where posters are advised that they can do their own translations, including a number of reports from those who have done their own. It's either a very common and pervasive myth on here or actually true.

I'm with you on the long documents blink.png

Re #2 that's my guess, as well. We'll clarify closer in if I don't see anything that clears it up.

Timeline

I unfortunately don't have a citation on the self-translation. (I'd be more comfortable with a statement from USCIS, too.)

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

document to USCI must be in English ... this is valid for any country ... when you move to the second stage (interview/medical visit) then you can use document in English or your own country language

I was wondering if it's a requirement to mail in a prepaid DHL label. The instructions on the Frankfurt Consulate checklist are a bit confusing. It first says that one must mail in this DHL label. But then it says: You do not need this document if your appointment is scheduled after December 13, 2013. What document are they referring to? Should I send them a prepaid label or not? I'm about to mail them the second batch of documents (the Affidavit of Support, etc.).

02/2005 - We met

09/2013 - Got married

12/16/2013 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

12/18/2013 - Fee charged to credit card

12/23/2013 - Received NOA1

01/27/2014 - I-130 approved

01/29/2014 - I-130 Approval letter received

02/24/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

02/27/2014 - Package 3 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/11/2014 - Interview letter received (interview in mid-April)

04/15/2014 - Visa approved

04/19/2014 - Visa received

09/10/2014 - U.S. entry (became permanent resident)

06/27/2016 - Filed  I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

07/08/2016 - Notice for biometrics appointment received

07/18/2016 - Biometrics appointment

10/27/2017 - Notice: New green card is being produced

I was wondering if it's a requirement to mail in a prepaid DHL label. The instructions on the Frankfurt Consulate checklist are a bit confusing. It first says that one must mail in this DHL label. But then it says: You do not need this document if your appointment is scheduled after December 13, 2013. What document are they referring to? Should I send them a prepaid label or not? I'm about to mail them the second batch of documents (the Affidavit of Support, etc.).

Never mind. I just saw that they updated their checklist this month. For all who were also wondering about this, here is the updated info: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/Instructions%20for%20Immigrant%20Visa%20Applicants.pdf

02/2005 - We met

09/2013 - Got married

Never mind. I just saw that they updated their checklist this month. For all who were also wondering about this, here is the updated info: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/Instructions%20for%20Immigrant%20Visa%20Applicants.pdf

Hi Maeve808! I see you've just recently filed your I-130 with Frankfurt :)

It looks like it went pretty fast (which is encouraging) -- As my job situation appears to be suddenly changing, I now have to get the form ready to go right away to make sure we get things going!

I wonder if you could ask you some specific questions:

-Regarding the credit card payment: Did you just include that credit card paper in your I-130 packet that you mailed in? It doesn't seem very secure, but I guess there is no other way!

-Did you include Proof of Bonafide marriage that needed to be translated? If so, did you translate it yourself?

-Do you have any tips for filing not included on that little instruction page/checklist they have?

I'm going to write the embassy today and see if they will give me a more definitive answer on this (the info is very conflicting, though we can't find evidence to the contrary).

Thank you! :)

10/2006- Started dating

06/07/08- Got Engaged

06/2009 - Got Married

03/05/2014 - I-130 package sent to Frankfurt Consulate

03/07/2014 - Fee charged to credit card

03/08/2014 - Received NOA1

03/19/2014 - I-130 approved

04/08/2014 - DS-260 submitted online

04/24/2014 - Package 3 sent off in the mail to Frankfurt

05/03/2014 - Received Interview Appointment via Mail

05/14/2014 - Medical Exam Complete!

05/27/2014 - Interview -- Visa was Approved!

06/02/2014 - Visa arrived via Registered Mail :-)

07/17/2014 - POE Detroit -- We're here!

08/26/2014 -- Pending issue with Typographical Error in Permanent Residency Card...Case Filed

Timeline

Do you have any tips for filing not included on that little instruction page/checklist they have?

Make an Info Pass appointment in Frankfurt and file there in person. You will be able to go through your petition with an officer on the spot, and clarify any questions. They also precheck everything at the same moment. Friends of us did it this way and had their DCF done in just 6 weeks.

Hi Maeve808! I see you've just recently filed your I-130 with Frankfurt smile.png

It looks like it went pretty fast (which is encouraging) -- As my job situation appears to be suddenly changing, I now have to get the form ready to go right away to make sure we get things going!

I wonder if you could ask you some specific questions:

-Regarding the credit card payment: Did you just include that credit card paper in your I-130 packet that you mailed in? It doesn't seem very secure, but I guess there is no other way!

-Did you include Proof of Bonafide marriage that needed to be translated? If so, did you translate it yourself?

-Do you have any tips for filing not included on that little instruction page/checklist they have?

I'm going to write the embassy today and see if they will give me a more definitive answer on this (the info is very conflicting, though we can't find evidence to the contrary).

Thank you! smile.png

Hi schinx87, yes I just included the credit card authorization form with my I-130 package. It's not secure, that's true, but then I figured that all other documents that I'd be sending contain some type of sensitive information (including social security number, etc.). You can also mail it using Einschreiben.

Yes, I did include proof of bona fide marriage. However, all evidence was already in English because we lived in the U.S. together for some years (spouse was student there). We used photos and our lease in the U.S. as proof of joint residence and we also sent them our joint health insurance document.

I don't have any other tips. I just followed their instructions and our I-130 was approved quickly.

02/2005 - We met

09/2013 - Got married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.