50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

For my husband the most difficult thing to get used to was the food. Before he came I found international markets and tried to learn from friends from Ghana how to cook the foods he was used to. I do pretty good, he still prefers me to cook. Of course I take him to different restaraunts to try to find somethings he likes. From Asian to Italian the only successes I have had has been Famous Dave's Ribs, one dish at an Italian place and Burger King. Its been a year, that is all I have found that he likes.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Not much adjustments for us as we're both Filipinos. Only thing I have to explain to him is how different things are run here in the US as compared to the Philippines

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Foods:

My love knows a lot about the west because she works at a French hospital and works with them. She also speaks English and French well, but I know she doesn't like western foods, I am from South Louisiana and the seafood here is similar and so are the ways we cook them. Cajuns can easily be Asians for all the rice we eat. And I’ve heard it said on more than one occasion, “A Cajun will eat anything” and not always in a complimentary way hehe. My openness to not eating any western food on my first trip there put her at ease I think when it came to foods. On my second trip I was invited to eat dinner every day with her family. They were initially concerned if I would eat the foods and Linh told them “Don’t worry about him, he’s normal” I loved it when I heard that, but sorry I digress a bit. I love to cook like most Cajuns and paid a lot of attention to the foods and the ingredients. As well as preparations, and even the appliances used to cook them. I do not own a quality large Hot Pot, and so I ordered one on Amazon. I am also an avid gardener and recently added things to my kitchen garden to make my trips less frequent to the local VN market. I am also been stocking up my pantry with can and dry goods that are commonly used in her everyday eating. I am also subscribed to web site Vietnam foods and several YouTube Vietnamese cooking channels, like yummies for dummies.

I would love to know what others are doing in regards to food… Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Buy plenty of hangers, Find the local Vn markets... wait to buy foods etc and do that together so she is able to take ownership of the tasks rather than feeling like she is walking into a prepped hotel...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Buy plenty of hangers, Find the local Vn markets... wait to buy foods etc and do that together so she is able to take ownership of the tasks rather than feeling like she is walking into a prepped hotel...

Thanks for your reply, hangers, I think that is with the gender Lol. I agree with you on her taking ownership of the the shopping tasks, as well as her redecorating the house to her tastes to make it her home. Problem is I live outside the Baton Rouge city limits and it is 20 minute drive to the VN section of town. She drives a scooter everywhere in HCMC and that is a city of convience, everything you want can easily be found nearby. I will have to teach her to drive, I have a 2002 Grand Prix as a "learner car" for her to drive when she gets here. It is in really good condition, my daughter used it as her learner car until I bought her a new one. It's a solid and safe car so I don't have much worries. I thought about getting her a scooter as well but I live on a busy hwy and fear for her safety, Americans don't stop when someone pulls out. Unlike HCMC were millions of scooters can roam aimlessly. I guess I'm concerned of her feeling caged without the freedom of travel she currently enjoys even if it is a temporary thing. I guess I need to find out about Louisiana driving requirments, learners licences, motorcycle endorcements ect.

Filed: Timeline

One of the first things we plan for my wife to do upon arrival from VN is get her driver license. It will be an adjustment - people in So Cal drive fast - but not nearly as chaotic as traffic in Vietnam (hmm...I guess the 101 in the Valley is pretty chaotic).

Same with food - she prefers VN food (and we never eat Western food in Vietnam, too expensive and almost always bad to my taste) but realizes that she is going to have to adjust to new foods. I think the biggest adjustment for her will be the seperation from family. Skype is a great thing but let's face it, it doesn't match being there in person. Like many Vietnamese women she is very close to all of her extended family. I think that adjustment will be far harder than anything else. Oh, that and living with me. Can't forget the basic adjustments involved when you start living with someone else. :)

Timeline

I think the biggest adjustment for her will be the seperation from family. Skype is a great thing but let's face it, it doesn't match being there in person. Like many Vietnamese women she is very close to all of her extended family. I think that adjustment will be far harder than anything else. Oh, that and living with me. Can't forget the basic adjustments involved when you start living with someone else. smile.png

This is a good point we only briefly discussed. she has an old desktop tower computer running windows xp. She will need to get a new computer and to teach her parents how to use it to use Skype. I have an account same as my profile name here, but rarely use it, we use Yahoo as it seems to be easier and it keeps chat log to the beginning of time. (our time hehe). My niece is moving to Vancouver and been getting all her friends to use Viper, I don't know much about that but may try it as a secondary option. Linh is very close to her family as you described also. Linh and her brother support their parents.

Timeline

We just started using Viber last fall...free calls and text messaging. It's been great (can use it over 3G) for those times when you can't use Skype (or Yahoo).

Awesome! ok I will download this and try it, thanks!

Timeline

hehe, this is one cultural difference I didn't know existed until my first visit to Vietnam.... it's the Bathroom Bum Gun. hehesmile.png

I started looking because without going into detail I'm sure it will be used. I couldn't even find one in any homecenter, not even their catalogs.

but I searched online and found Home Depot has them that can be ordered online and delivered to the nearest store.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

the first thing my wife did after she came here was she re-organized my kitchen cabinets to her liking. she even moved my computer desk and tidy up the place.

she moved anything that is an eyesore to her.

and i love it. i'd rather see her do that instead of just sitting in the house like a duck.

Timeline

the first thing my wife did after she came here was she re-organized my kitchen cabinets to her liking. she even moved my computer desk and tidy up the place.

she moved anything that is an eyesore to her.

and i love it. i'd rather see her do that instead of just sitting in the house like a duck.

I so look forward to that! I been divorced for over 7 years and my place has become a bit masculine due to all the hunting and fishing activities I do.

Timeline

hmm, Linh ordered new linens for the bedroom online to be shipped to the house hehe, brighten up the bedroom. dancin5hr.gif I love that woman!

I guess i'll be painting the bedroom soon hehe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.