50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I live very close to the light rail train, and I will buy her a monthly pass. She will be able to get out and explore the area. It will be many months before she can work and I know she would go crazy sitting at home all day waiting for me to get home. As far as food goes there are several pho restaurants nearby that are pretty good. During the summer we have farmers market and this is going to be something she will enjoy. I think that going to a huge grocery store is a bit overwhelming when you have always bought your food every day by the side of the road. I told her about Costco but it wont really sink in until she sees it with her own eyes

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Timeline

They have a bulk store that is similar in vietnam called metro, I believe its a UK company.

In the area she lives there are not any big grocery stores. All of the food is bought fresh every day, from stalls set up along the side of the road. She is not used to going to a big grocery store and buying food to last a week, it is going to be a big change for her

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In the area she lives there are not any big grocery stores. All of the food is bought fresh every day, from stalls set up along the side of the road. She is not used to going to a big grocery store and buying food to last a week, it is going to be a big change for her

hmm, in hcmc there are fresh street markets like you describe and the selection is better than at big grocery stores on fresh produce and meats. Many of which I don't think she will find even in the local asian and VN markets. So I am gathering seeds and trying to grow as much of that type stuff as I can, while paying attention to seed importation laws. Yes they watch ebay purchases! USDA intradiction officer left his business card on my door! Or

Timeline

I recently purchased the pimsleur approach language learning system for learning Vietnamese. I was going to get the Rosetta stone but it is only offered in levels 1-3 in vietnamese while in other languages it is offered levels 1-5 for the same price.

My future inlaws are the nicest people and I need to be able to better communicate with them. There is also a strong posibility I we may move to Hochiminh City, when I reach early retirement age. (in 5 years) That is what she wants, to be near her family, but she hasn't lived here yet. Also we will vist a couple 3 weeks out of every year so I really do need to learn the Language. I listen and practice every morning and evening to and from work from the lesson CD's. I completed the first 8 lessons and I am fixing to start the next 8 lessons.

I wish rosetta stone had all 5 levels in VN Language.

Filed: Timeline

Good luck with the language studies. I attended class for about a year here in OC. I can read better than I can speak - my wife's English is good so we have little incentive to speak VN. I am able to communicate with her family, albeit not extensively. I personally found Vietnamese grammar very easy and the tones are not that hard. However, unless you get regular practice actually having a conversation is difficult at best.

My advice would be to find a school or a tutor (check out Craigslist maybe) and purchase some basic books (and a dictionary) from Amazon. I realize you are not near the coast - are there many Vietnamese in Baton Rouge?

Plenty of big box stores in HCM as well as smaller supermarkets (like Co-Op mart). That said nothing nearly as nice as HEB. :)

Timeline

Good luck with the language studies. I attended class for about a year here in OC. I can read better than I can speak - my wife's English is good so we have little incentive to speak VN. I am able to communicate with her family, albeit not extensively. I personally found Vietnamese grammar very easy and the tones are not that hard. However, unless you get regular practice actually having a conversation is difficult at best.

My advice would be to find a school or a tutor (check out Craigslist maybe) and purchase some basic books (and a dictionary) from Amazon. I realize you are not near the coast - are there many Vietnamese in Baton Rouge?

Plenty of big box stores in HCM as well as smaller supermarkets (like Co-Op mart). That said nothing nearly as nice as HEB. smile.png

I am originally from the coastal area southeast of new orleans and yes larger population of VN there. Baton Rouge has about 3% VN in the area with a larger percentage going to college here. Thanks for the advice on getting some basic books and and a dictionary. I will check for a class or for skype type language lessons on craigs list.

Timeline

hmm, in hcmc there are fresh street markets like you describe and the selection is better than at big grocery stores on fresh produce and meats. Many of which I don't think she will find even in the local asian and VN markets. So I am gathering seeds and trying to grow as much of that type stuff as I can, while paying attention to seed importation laws. Yes they watch ebay purchases! USDA intradiction officer left his business card on my door! Or

Most of the vegetables my fiance cooks with are common...cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, onions and carrots. She will have to do her best to substitute the other things, like some of herbs and spices. She likes heat in her food so I will introduce her to jalapenos. I am pretty certain that she will like Mexican cuisine because it has many of the same characteristics of the food she cooked for me. We both love to cook so it will be another thing that we can bond over....maybe make a Mexican/Vietnamese fusion dish

Most of the vegetables my fiance cooks with are common...cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, onions and carrots. She will have to do her best to substitute the other things, like some of herbs and spices. She likes heat in her food so I will introduce her to jalapenos. I am pretty certain that she will like Mexican cuisine because it has many of the same characteristics of the food she cooked for me. We both love to cook so it will be another thing that we can bond over....maybe make a Mexican/Vietnamese fusion dish

My wife does not prefer mexican food. She said the cheese kills it for her. I like cheese but like many asian people we are lactose intolerant. Mexican rice is too different for her and she doesn't see anything special in soft tortillas. When she goes she likes the chips and salsa though. The only thing she eats at mexican restaurants is fajitas. My wife doesn't really like jalapenos, she said it's not spicy enough for her. She prefers habaneros over jalapenos.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

GREAT QUESTION, our packages are at the NVC, and should have an interview date soon. The transition will be important, I think she will like reorganizing the house, and what ever her choices of styles or colors or moving furniture I will support, it is her house as well as mine. It will be fun to work together to get the house and yard and garden to her liking, no longer is it me or I , it is us and we. It also is the best part of my life, and also my future. I AM A LUCKY MAN

CHIP

Timeline

GREAT QUESTION, our packages are at the NVC, and should have an interview date soon. The transition will be important, I think she will like reorganizing the house, and what ever her choices of styles or colors or moving furniture I will support, it is her house as well as mine. It will be fun to work together to get the house and yard and garden to her liking, no longer is it me or I , it is us and we. It also is the best part of my life, and also my future. I AM A LUCKY MAN

CHIP

Great posts, I wish there was a like button or carma points here!

Timeline

we will have a place for her alter for her father, so she can pray, she is cao di, I am christian, non denominational, (mostly just spiritual) but she will have freedom to practice as she wants. I feel a need to respect her traditions, and we hope to be able to pass them on to the next generation, if we are to be that blessed.

Timeline

we will have a place for her alter for her father, so she can pray, she is cao di, I am christian, non denominational, (mostly just spiritual) but she will have freedom to practice as she wants. I feel a need to respect her traditions, and we hope to be able to pass them on to the next generation, if we are to be that blessed.

Freedom of religion is the first and foremost reason for the pilgrimages to America, Linh is Buddist, and we already talked a bit on this subject. She told me it was unnessasary to have the ancestrial alter but the one in her parents home is quite large and well attended to. She is more religious than she admits to me. I am of similar opinion as you that our spouses should and will have the freedom to do that.

Timeline

we have talked over and have somewhat of a plan, the community college near by has English as a 2nd Language classes, she can speak and write but is eager to improve, which will help her in her future as well as in bushiness. Then she must get her GED, there is a Christian GED on line program , my friend have taken it, form S Carolina or Georgia?, they send you 3 tests, and write an essay on Jesus, and then you get a GED, I plan to help her greatly with this. (Not to cheat but to help her speed up the process for her next step. later if she wants to go to real GED and college classes , great, no problem) then she is now able to go to for cosmetology school to get her certification, which is required In North Carolina. She his very skilled and enjoys working in hair styling, make up, and photography. I built her a shop when i lived there in 2012 for 8 months, she has been to school and apprenticed also.. as well as having her own shop with students at age 19.

Regardless of what she wants to do or achive, she has the love and support of me and my family to help her achieve her goals.

chip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.