DirtyHarry

Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello All,

I have recently got married after my K1 was not approved. I will have a marriage certificate from a court in India, wedding pictures etc. I do not have any joint property or accounts with my wife yet. I will try and get a joint bank account but I am pressed for time in India.

Looking through the step by step guide for an I-130, I can only provide Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship. Does anyone have a template of an affadavit?

I want to make my packet bullet proof. The rejection of the K1 has cost me a lot emotionally and financially. Any other advise to strengthen my case will also be appreciated.

Regards,

Harry

Hello All,

I have recently got married after my K1 was not approved. I will have a marriage certificate from a court in India, wedding pictures etc. I do not have any joint property or accounts with my wife yet. I will try and get a joint bank account but I am pressed for time in India.

Looking through the step by step guide for an I-130, I can only provide Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship. Does anyone have a template of an affadavit?

I want to make my packet bullet proof. The rejection of the K1 has cost me a lot emotionally and financially. Any other advise to strengthen my case will also be appreciated.

Regards,

Harry

Harry, you can google them. Here is one for you.

Affidavit.pdf

y8c98r5.png

Filed DCF March 31 2014

I-130 Approved April 7

MNL Case number April 10

Filled out DS-260

Medical Passed

Made appointment at USEM for interview

INTERVIEW PASSED!! 8/25/14

CEAC WEBSITE SAYS VISA ISSUED

VISA IN POSSESSION 8/29/14

CFO DONE 9/10/14

POE Dallas 9/17/14

Finally Home!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! What we did when we submitted affidavit sworn by our friends was that we asked our friends to write a letter stating the following:

- how they know us and for how long

- that they have witnessed our relationship grew (like we always hang out together with them)

- that they attended our wedding ceremony and reception

Then we all went to UPS where we have it notarized. They had to be physically present as they needed to sign before the person who did the notary.

USCIS accepted the letter and no questions resulted from that. As a matter of fact, I just recently got my green card.

Hope this info helps. Best of luck! ?

** We met unexpectedly while I was traveling in the US, got married and filed for AOS **

(AOS)

03.13.2013 - Mailed forms I-130, I-765 and I-485

03.23.2013 - Received NOA's for all three forms; all dated March 21; signed up for USCIS online case status update

03.28.2013 - Received Biometrics appointment for April 16; NOA dated March 26

04.16.2013 - Biometrics taken (No sweat! Only 1 person was before me)

05.01.2013 - Received email for update of case status that it's either scheduled or in line to be scheduled for the interview

05.03.2013 - Received letter for AOS interview appointment for June 7; letter dated April 29

05.23.2013 - EAD approval (email received and USCIS online case status indicated that card is already in production)

05.30.2013 - Received email that card has been mailed today

06.03.2013 - Received EAD in the mail (did not apply for AP since there is no immediate plans of traveling outside US)

06.07.2013 - AOS interview done. APPROVED!

06.13.2013 - Welcome letter received/approval of both I-485 and I-130. Also, got an update that GC is already in the mail.

06.15.2013 - Received GC in the mail!! ?

(Removal of Conditional Status)

05.01.2015 - Sent I-751 packet to California Service Center

05.07.2015 - Received NOA confirming receipt of packet

05.20.2015 - Received biometrics schedule

06.01.2015 - Biometrics taken

DirtyHarry, you can add your wife as a non-driver to your car insurance, or have her added to your lease, or add her to your other insurance policies, or show that she is listed as your spouse on your personnel records at work. You can show receipts for things that you bought her. You can show copies of plane tickets and itineraries for visits you made to her and that she made to you. You have more than you think.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You must address whatever issue that your K1 was denied for. You must show that you have a real relationship but you don't need to do some of the crazy things suggested ( why would you add someone in another country to car insurance or put her on a lease when she isn't there and wont even be visiting ) Cover her in places that are logical ( medical / life ) and don't go so overboard that it seems like you are making fake evidence. Be sure to maintain tight contact with her. Regular phone calls, something for her birthday and major holidays when gifts are exchanged. Send her information about your area to give her ideas on things here. Act as much like a caring married couple as you can at this distance and document it .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

You must address whatever issue that your K1 was denied for. You must show that you have a real relationship but you don't need to do some of the crazy things suggested ( why would you add someone in another country to car insurance or put her on a lease when she isn't there and wont even be visiting ) Cover her in places that are logical ( medical / life ) and don't go so overboard that it seems like you are making fake evidence. Be sure to maintain tight contact with her. Regular phone calls, something for her birthday and major holidays when gifts are exchanged. Send her information about your area to give her ideas on things here. Act as much like a caring married couple as you can at this distance and document it .

You do it to show you are married and sharing finances. Obviously.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The co-mingling of finances depends on the country, in all honesty. In my case, Morocco has a locked currency. Money can't be sent out without a limitation on the Moroccan citizen and even then, only up to a couple grand per year. So if one travels outside of the country, it really limits what can be brought outside or sent outside of the country.

And having just signed a new lease on an apartment, they didn't want to add my husband because they couldn't run a credit report because he doesn't have a social, since he's not a USC or in the country yet. So some of these options may not be available to the OP.

That being said, it's true, you must really consider the reason why the K-1 was denied and pay extra attention to that aspect and ensure you're documenting. Photos, records or calls, text messages, chats, facebook interactions, interactions between the spouse and your family and vice versa.

The co-mingling of finances depends on the country, in all honesty. In my case, Morocco has a locked currency. Money can't be sent out without a limitation on the Moroccan citizen and even then, only up to a couple grand per year. So if one travels outside of the country, it really limits what can be brought outside or sent outside of the country.

And having just signed a new lease on an apartment, they didn't want to add my husband because they couldn't run a credit report because he doesn't have a social, since he's not a USC or in the country yet. So some of these options may not be available to the OP.

That being said, it's true, you must really consider the reason why the K-1 was denied and pay extra attention to that aspect and ensure you're documenting. Photos, records or calls, text messages, chats, facebook interactions, interactions between the spouse and your family and vice versa.

I think your apartment management has a screw loose. You qualify for your apartment based on your own income.

LATEST STEPS:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

No loose screws.

They have the legal right to request a credit check on anybody that would be on the lease.

But that's beside the point. :-)

No loose screws.

They have the legal right to request a credit check on anybody that would be on the lease.

But that's beside the point. :-)

Huh, OK, my apartment complex was just like "sure let us run a criminal background check", that's all. But I've been renting here 10 years, too. Fair enough. :)

LATEST STEPS:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am going to submit i-130 for my wife of 3 years. Since, we got married, I file 1040 as married filing separately and puts her name in tax return. I also added her name as excluded driver in my car insurance. These are definitely evidences of co-mingling of finances. As far as insurance is concerned, one saves money by being married and wife excluded.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will use the affadivits provided. I will change my status at work and will add her to my 401K, insurance and property title. I think that should suffice.

My K1 was rejected because they did not believe the relationship was sound. The thread from that day is below:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/418058-k1-petition-rejected/

I believe I have addressed their relationship concerns by getting legally married. I guess the USCIS probably wants me to give them a pint of my blood and my right hand to prove my relationship ranting33va.gif Not sure what else I can do. I spoke to 3 lawyers then and they said I should proceed withh getting married.

Thanks for all your responses idea9dv.gif . Feel free to guide me if I am wrong

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.