NicoleJarvis248

My fiance wants to move to America, what do we need to do?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!!! I am new to the forum. I am very excited to be a part of this forumluv.gif I appreciate any help. Well my story is.. I met my fiance 1 1/2 years ago while living in Spain. We both were living there and met love at first site. He later went back home to the UK, and I came a few months later. I live with him in England for 3 1/2 months. He proposed to me this year on Valentines Dayrose.gifheart.gif We thought we could go ahead and get married there, and then I could start work, and we would live happily ever after. Until we found out the mess about visas. So we decided i would come back to the UK and apply for a visa. Well I recently just got back to the good US of A three weeks ago. My fiance isn't meeting the requirement of 18,600 a year, (a must have!) for a visa there. So it is impossible to apply for the visa to live there. Anyway my first week back into America, I got hired for 3 different jobs!!!! That got me really excited, and him too!! After taking him on tour with my iphone around the city, he and I decided to stay here. Which will be better for us both in the long run. He was already planning a 2 month holiday here with me. So we are both excited to start settling here. The problem is.. we don't know where to start. We already got all the info on what we need to live and work in the UK... and we just now decided to live here. So we are at step one. We want to marry asap, as my family in Pittsburgh, PA want us to have a small wedding there. My Dad is ready to walk his little girl down the isle. Everyone is very excited. So I am wondering a lot of things... of what we should do. If he should come on the holiday he intended to do, and do the wedding with my parents, fly back to the UK and then file for a spousal visa. My parents have a big house and are willing to let us stay with them if we need to. Also be a third party sponser for him. We want to settle as soon as, and start a family. If he were to go ahead and apply for the fiance visa, would that be a little quicker for him to live and work here? Even if he were to do the fiance visa, I still want him to come here for 2 months like we planned. I just want to know the quickest and easiest way. We are eager to marry and both our families are too. Can he visit while the fiance visa is processing or the spousal visa? How long does all the procedures take? if he got accepted the fiance visa, and came here, does he have to return to the UK and apply for the spousal visa? Please help us!!!! We are all new to this. I need to know step by step.. or anyone else's story will help a lot!!!!!! I really appreciate all the help!! I need my love here with me!!!!! thanks sooo much!!!!!!!!!

Without writing a long dissertation I will offer this--

There is no quick way. It will take maybe 8-10 months roughly. Maybe longer.

Marry on his holiday. Start the CR1 spouse visa process. Procedure found here http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 it is a better visa. He will return to the UK when his holiday is over.

Yes, he can visit on either visa while you wait. There is no law against it.

He needs one visa--fiancé or spouse so no to your question about returning for a spouse visa after he gets fiancé visa.

CR1 Spouse visa--he is a permanent resident the day he enters the US on his visa. From Day 1 he eligible to work and get a driver license or travel abroad.

K1 fiancé visa--he must apply for his permanent residence after the marriage. He will not be eligible to work, get a driver license, or leave and return to the US for several months.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you so much!!! Do you know the price of the visa? The spousal visa? And can my parents be a third party. I am currently working and living in Los Angeles, and I will have to go back to Pittsburgh for the wedding, and maybe come back here. I haven't decided that. If my parents are the third party sponser and can support him, will I have to be in Pittsburgh to apply? Or can they just tell me all the info I need from them and apply for them? If I have to move back to Pittsburgh, it will be new job hunting for me, and I will not have enough money to take care of my husband on my own. Thanks soo much!!

Thank you so much!!! Do you know the price of the visa? The spousal visa? And can my parents be a third party. I am currently working and living in Los Angeles, and I will have to go back to Pittsburgh for the wedding, and maybe come back here. I haven't decided that. If my parents are the third party sponser and can support him, will I have to be in Pittsburgh to apply? Or can they just tell me all the info I need from them and apply for them? If I have to move back to Pittsburgh, it will be new job hunting for me, and I will not have enough money to take care of my husband on my own. Thanks soo much!!

A parent can be joint sponsor for the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864). You do not have to live with them or near them. One will fill out and sign form I-864 for you to mail with your own I-864.

These are costs I have worked up for the UK. I think they are current. The medical fee in London just went up and I adjusted my list for that.

K1 route = $1650 + £294.50

$340 (USCIS) I-129F petition

$240 (Embassy) Visa fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate

£235 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam

£14.50 (DX Secure) Courier fee

$1070 (USCIS) Adjustment of Status/Work Authorization/Advance Parole

CR1 route = $903 + £294.50

$420 (USCIS) I-130 petition

$230 (National Visa Center) Visa fee

$88 (National Visa Center) Affidavit of Support Review fee

£45 ACPO Police certificate

£235 (Knightsbridge Doctors) medical exam

£14.50 (DX Secure) Courier fee

$165.00 (USCIS) Immigrant Fee

There will also be costs for copying, mailing, shots, two trips to London (him), maybe overnight in London before an early interview, and shipping belongings to the US. Also if he has any run-ins with the law, even a caution, he will need to order a Subject Access Report from ACPO at an additional cost. If he has lived in another country, he may need a police certificate from there. Above are the basic minimum fees.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thanks soo much!!! If my fiance comes in August and stays for 2 months... will he be able to come back for Christmas and stay for a month? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

on the VWP he has 180 days total (90 days maximum per visit) of time to spend in the USA. Make sure to book tickets a few days before the 90 days are up though in case there is travel problems.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from General Immigration Discussion to the new "What Visa Do I Need" forum. ***

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.