Ushio

buying a house as a conditional resident

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband's conditional green card will be up in January 2014. We currently are in the market to buy a house. His parents have graciously offered to give us a large chuck of money towards the house but insist the house can only be in my husband's name. I'm not comfortable with this, especially so close to permanent residency eligibility. Would this be a red flag to immigration? We have joint bank accounts, investments, cars, and an apartment lease in our name.

It would be a red flag since your husband entered through K1 Visa and the succeeding visa application steps (Removal of Condition & Naturalization) will require you to submit pertinent documents showing bona fide marriage and that you are living together. And since you are husband and wife, therefore your house/mortgage should be under both your names.

VIEW MY TIMELINE

us-1.jpg

azx3j298m21dj.png

"Marriage is not like a really hot spoonful of rice that you'll just spit out when you got burned."
-Filipino saying

NATURALIZATION
AUGUST 7, 2012 - N-400 Sent

DECEMBER 12, 2012 - Interview (Chicago, IL)

DECEMBER 14, 2012 - Oath Taking (Chicago, IL)

My husband's conditional green card will be up in January 2014. We currently are in the market to buy a house. His parents have graciously offered to give us a large chuck of money towards the house but insist the house can only be in my husband's name. I'm not comfortable with this, especially so close to permanent residency eligibility. Would this be a red flag to immigration? We have joint bank accounts, investments, cars, and an apartment lease in our name.

THATS A HUGEEEEEEEE RED FLAG.Can you believe the audacity of these people???????? GIRLFRIEND!!! house on your name as well or a BIGGGGGGG, " IM SORRY BOO, NO CAN DO" Dont let your heart rule your head.The nerve

" You never can win, when you play dirty"

If the house is mostly paid by his parents, then I find it normal for it to be in his name. In case of a divorce, why should someone who has not contributed much to a very large purchase walk away with half of it?

Really!!!Well she clearly loved him and gave him the opportunity to even enjoy the luxury of owning a home in America,without her, theres no him THERES NO HOMEEEEEEEEE!!! YA DIG!!! smh again and again and again

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

If you have joint bank accounts and a bunch of other stuff in both of your names, I don't see why a house being in just his name would be a problem. Many married couples have it like that, for a number of reasons.

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

If his parents afford that, I am sure he could have bought a much nicer house wherever he is from. Not everyone is from Africa or the poor parts of Asia, you know, some of us had quite nice lives back home.

Your response is without the benefit of intellect and as a result I will refrain from responding to any of your responses. Be well

Um, apparently it's his parents' money that's giving her "the luxury" of owning a home in America, so without him, there's no house...

Again!!! without her, theres no him to get money from them to get a house to begin with.He should tell his parents " No, we are a family , its our house" instead he prefers it in his name. Its ok, anything accrued in a marriage singularly or plurally, IS JOINT PROPERTY AND THAT SALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THAT.

If you have joint bank accounts and a bunch of other stuff in both of your names, I don't see why a house being in just his name would be a problem. Many married couples have it like that, for a number of reasons.

Joint bank accounts won't stand alone, it needs a mortgage/lease or major purchases (like car) as a support evidence showing both husband and wife's names. Utility bills and like you've said "a bunch of other stuff" are just secondary evidences.

I've been there done that.

VIEW MY TIMELINE

us-1.jpg

azx3j298m21dj.png

"Marriage is not like a really hot spoonful of rice that you'll just spit out when you got burned."
-Filipino saying

NATURALIZATION
AUGUST 7, 2012 - N-400 Sent

DECEMBER 12, 2012 - Interview (Chicago, IL)

DECEMBER 14, 2012 - Oath Taking (Chicago, IL)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Your response is without the benefit of intellect and as a result I will refrain from responding to any of your responses. Be well

What, no caps? I'm disappointed!

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I really do not see the problem. As a couple, you are entitled to deal with your assets and finances as you deem fit for yourselves. People come from various cultures and deal with money differently. Some jointly own everything. Some have separate accounts. Its very individual

I agree with some others that it's not really such a "red flag," as far as immigration goes. If you aren't comfortable with it because you'd rather both your names be on the house, then that's something you need to work out within your family. But if your discomfort stems from immigration, then you have little need to worry. When you send in your ROC, your best bet is probably to write a short explanation of the situation for the immigration officer reviewing your case and stick it with the rest of your evidence, so as not to leave them wondering about the true nature of the situation. A bigger problem would be if you left them completely in the dark about it. Then, prove the bona fides of your marriage with as much other evidence as you can.

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.